Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Batelli_1605

Most toxic gaming communities you have come across.

I would say that goes to CS:GO in my personal experience. I can't think of one game that doesn't have one colorful person that does a good job at making the game annoying and frustrating to play. And when playing the game on its Competitive game mode, it brings out the worst in some people for any reason possible, whether it be getting killed, their strategies aren't going perfectly as they wanted, or just my team or the enemy team streamrolling or constantly losing, leading to a series of insults until someone or everyone rage quits.

3 hours ago, MrGlide said:

There are a shit load of assholes that will try and vote kick you for no reason, or if you don't have enough hours on the game

I can vouch for this. Apparently I was a noob for only having over 100 hours of played time on steam and was kicked from a server.

Ya, me as well. I rather Dislike all of Valves Multiplayer games unless I'm playing with people I know.

Here is the vital check list to confirm if a gaming community is toxic.

Is this a competitive online game? Yes - toxic

Is this a very popular game? Yes - very toxic

Least toxic gaming community would be a more interesting discussion since the overwhelming majority of them are all so irredeemably toxic that comparing them is just pointless.

Doomworld scores unusually high in that regard. The level of discourse and civility here is among the highest of all communities I frequent, or used to frequent. Within the last 5 years in particular the social climate in most other forums has gotten remarkably worse and made me feel unwelcome to the point that I rarely visit any more, if not flat out leave. It's depressing to think about.

FNAF. How obsessive can people BE over what is just Night Trap? Night Trap was awful! I suspect it's furries mainly because of the animal robots.

4 hours ago, Chezza said:

Is this a competitive online game? Yes - toxic

This has been my experience - especially when it's team based and there's a ranked mode. Never had any issues playing TF2 or CS:GO casually though.

I've actually not played much next-gen online multiplayer (outside of lesser known MMORPGs) but know what assholes humans can be, especially in their teenage years.

8 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

LoL: 4 out of 5 matches you play, you shall meet one of the worst kinds of people in the world.

Kurwa experts, you mean?

DOTA 2: Like LoL, but in russian.

Ummm... nope. See, russian fandom segment isn't D(n)ota2 only. It's about almost every game russian schooltards touching. Including Doom sometimes.

CSGO: Like LoL and DOTA, but while shooting people.

Dude, you talk about CoD right now. Oh wait, both fandoms totally equal.

9 hours ago, RUSH said:

I would go with Call of Duty being the "winner" of the most toxic. Hands down. In my experience, the entirety of that game is filled with nothing but children throwing around insults, along with obnoxious adults who think they rule the world.

Totally agreed with you.

====

I remember Point Blank (Project Blackout) and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fandom were toxic as hell.

2 hours ago, diosoth said:

FNAF. How obsessive can people BE over what is just Night Trap? Night Trap was awful! I suspect it's furries mainly because of the animal robots.

Mostly children that view YouTube videos on their mobile devices all day since their parents don't pay enough attention to them.

Just now, Boop said:

ZDoom and Team Fortress 2.

They are pretty shit.

TF2's player base is pretty good. I've played quite a bit of it, and never ran into too many trouble makers. Counter Strike is a different story. 

TF2 is okay especially when compared to l4d or half-life. I'd say the worst is\was quake live, extremely horrid the game practically had no new comers. 

In the middle 2000's  there were a few [unnamed] forums that catered to gazettes about games in my local language. Some of these still exists but I think game journals as a form of writing gave up the gust soon after. These online forums attracted 14 years old that was (and are !) like 14 years old are most: Unable to take criticism, short sighted thinking, bullish and more. Yeah...

5 hours ago, lazygecko said:

Least toxic gaming community would be a more interesting discussion since the overwhelming majority of them are all so irredeemably toxic that comparing them is just pointless.

Basically this. 

Also, a couple of folks have mentioned Dark Souls, but one of the remarkable things about the series IMO (and an essential thing piece of why I opt for online mode) is the lack of any in-game chat. Even though you get the occasional OP invasion jerk (and hackers aren't unheard of), you don't have to listen/read any of their brain vomit in the process. It's really quite refreshing.

I guess there are many interpretations of "toxic" out there.

For me, "toxic" is not judged by content but more by actions, groups that actively ostracize, belittle and cannibalise it's own members and newcomers alike come across to me as self harming cess pits who do nothing but poison they're own water and are basically killing themselves, a literal interpretation of the metaphor "toxic".

I haven't had many issues with TF2, but I play that rather casually. Same with CS. It's almost impossible not to run into the random asshole no matter what online game it is, if you play it long enough. But otherwise, I shrug it off. I turn voice off usually too, so that helps. Anything competitive, like an RTS, I prefer to play with people I know like my loved one, friends, or my old man.

While not exactly toxic, I find these cult followings for things like FNAF and Undertale to be strange and juvenile. Especially when you have valid criticisms against these games and they immediately pounce you and denounce you a hater and a troll. You think Gone Home is a vapid empty experience? You're a homophobe (despite the fact I'm bi?) You think Life is Strange is a terrible soap opera with absolutely terrible dialogue masquerading as a point-and-click adventure game? You're a misogynist pig homophobic gamer troll.

So perhaps I'd just choose the whole "SJW" and "Anti-SJW" ordeal in gaming, whatever you'd call it. Speaking with people on either side of this spectrum can be nauseating. I just want to talk about some damn video games without having all these buzzwords and labels thrown at me. Especially if I feel some game Tumblr has deemed a high work of art in gaming just because it further's their own political agenda is actually on the level of dog shit.

There's no shortage of popular online games filled with irrating teenagers, but my experiences in Eve Online were something else altogether. Though, it wasn't my in-game experiences that were the most toxic, after all, it's a hostile environment were players invariably grief first and smack-talk afterwards. It was the meta-environment of forums and other social networking doodahs where it got truly repulsive. The shit-posting alone was just extraordinary in it's rabidity and screeching autism.

Which all isn't to say you shouldn't play Eve Online, because when it's good, it's very good indeed, and there tends to be a strong sense of comradery in even the most dysfunctional groups.

Haven't spent enough time in MP games (online, if it has bots I'm probably going to play offline more) to really notice any particularly toxic community. But I often hear about LoL, Minecraft and CoD for having notoriously nasty people. PUBG was also basically ruined by Twitch streamers because of the devs being trash.

Multiplayer based games, like CoD, Battlefield, CS:GO, PUGB, Overwatch, Lol, it's quite obvious, but i'd give Cod the win, boring players, always using the same stuff over and over, babbling on how they are better than you and other nonsense, to them winning is all that matters, if they lose, it's like they are about to die, yet they cry and resort to insults when you kill them, not to mention the lack of common sense, use anything that's not a sniper and you're labeled a noob and a camper, talk about stupidity, but let's not forget the complaining of microtransactions and other bs, yet they still buy them, bunch of hypocritical losers, they may be adults but they act like spoiled kids, but hey that's the CoD community for ya.

CoD and Battlefield are known for being a toxic group but I need to add the BD community for a recent example. Yeah...