Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryg

Ship in deep water

Question

I want to design a ship in deep water (Boom 242) where you can see the upper part of the ship above the water line and the lower part below the water line. The ship should not touch the bottom of the water but appear suspended. And it should have a "real" deck the space marine can walk on. My problem is that I can design either the upper part of the ship looking right or the lower part but not both.

I attach two images that show the option where it looks right above the water line but the hull touches the bottom.

Is there a solution to this? Maybe fake ceiling/floor in the control sector also?

5spider_ship_above.jpg

5spider_ship_below.jpg

5 answers to this question

You would probably be better off using legacy line types for 3d floors or as shown GZDB "Action type 160" and create it for Gzdoom based ports and or Zandronum.

I was about to say that if you want to keep the more classic feel, Eternity should be able to do it pretty easily, but now that I think about it I have no idea if it can really do 3D water with its portals. Someone else should be able to answer that, though.

1 hour ago, Arctangent said:

I was about to say that if you want to keep the more classic feel, Eternity should be able to do it pretty easily, but now that I think about it I have no idea if it can really do 3D water with its portals. Someone else should be able to answer that, though.

Indeed, even with transparency. Here's an example: 

watertest.zip

Note that it is just basically Boom deep water but with portals, there's no swimming in Eternity.

Edited by Edward850

If you're considering another port, you could make it in ZDoom's UDMF or Doom-in-Hexen. You could use 3D floors for the boat, and even have it bobbing up and down. You could also use a 3D floor for the water to make it both transparent and swimmable.