Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

Now that the game is out, anyone else playing it? I'm downloading it now, will share thoughts later. What is your impression, let's talk about it (the game, please leave out real world politics this time).

Was having a blast with the game until I finished the first level. Then the game started crashing during pre-rendered cutscenes, making the game unplayable.

It either crashes to desktop or I get the error #str_online_connection_error_3

Installed newest drivers, reinstalled game, lowered settings. Nothing! Been trying all morning to get it to work. Game is unplayable.

Terribly disappointed so far. Lots of people are having crashes and other weird issues. I suggest you wait.

Yeah I saw lots of negative reviews on Steam and at first I thought it would be similar to the last few pages of the previous thread, but it was all complaints about crashes 

7 minutes ago, Shaviro said:

Did you try this one?

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4575

Seems to have fixed my crashes.

I have, actually. Didn't do anything on my end.

I have actually conducted a memory test. It seems I have a faulty memory stick. I really hope I can run it on 4 GB of RAM because I want to wait until Black Friday for a deal.

The console revealed some interesting things. Let's hope removing the faulty stick did the trick.

AU8S9Yj.jpg

Yeah, I enjoyed the game quite a bit, but these crashes are quite annoying. I heard they are releasing a 5gb patch which will fix some optimization issues.

Hope the patch will fix the crashes, it's really hampering my enjoyment out of it.

4 minutes ago, ZALGO said:

Yeah, I enjoyed the game quite a bit, but these crashes are quite annoying. I heard they are releasing a 5gb patch which will fix some optimization issues.

Hope the patch will fix the crashes, it's really hampering my enjoyment out of it.

You too? What kind of crashes? My game crashes while loading.

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

You too? What kind of crashes? My game crashes while loading.

Started off crashing right when I started the game. Now it's rather infrequent, I'm midway through the game, with about 4 crashes not including the one at the start.

I'm really hoping the patch fixes this.

2 hours ago, Captain red pants said:

Are people having these crashing using nvidia cards? I'm using a Radeon (TM) RX 480 and it's running just fine.

Using an Nvidia Gtx 1080, My drivers are up to date.

Maybe a Radeon could work, maybe not.

Rule #1: Never get a AAA game on launch.

When DOOM came out I recall everyone saying it had tons of issues too. I got it for $19.79 9 months later, ran smooth as silk, no issues whatsoever. PC launches in particular seem to have always been pretty terrible, even back in the 90's, but I think it's actually gotten a lot worse now. No way am I going to pay $50-$60 for a broken product.

I've just beat the game with one of timelines. Gonna beat the other timeline sooner or later. In my opinion, the game is, eh...... good. Wolfenstien Series has never failed me with killing Nazis. The detail of each level is fantastic, just like the previous games, the new arsenals are satisfying to use(especially Lasergewehr, which is my new favorite), the graphical optimization was pretty good, and the plot is just good enough to connect the first game and the upcoming third game.

What I didn't like from the game, however, are the other issues I found. Like other people have commented from this thread, the game is not stable for my PC for some reason. I had not just minor errors to call task manager, but two BSoD that totally crashed my PC. Those crashes happened during the cutscene after the level was over, and I had to play in safe mode to avoid more crashes. Not just serious crashes, but there are several glitches that interrupt the player's gameplay experience, like the fire-spitting Panzerhund can be stuck between the props of the level with no escape, some minor graphical flaws that can make you feel a little bit weird (like, I had a default windows mouse cursor, flying around the game screen, after I opened and closed the console command. I had to restart the game to solve the issue), and your steam overlay is completely disabled so you can't take screenshots properly. During the gameplay, I felt that this game should have play-tested more times than they did.

And yeah, I don't like the new dual-wielding system. The one from TNO was way easier to handle during the combat, and it didn't slow down the pace of the game. It took me quite a long time to get used to the new dual-wielding control of TNS, and I'm still not happy with the fact that there's no option to change the mechanism of dual-wielding. I don't like a way to change weapons hand by hand, that slows down the pace of game. Hey, my gameplay style doesn't even need to hold different guns on each hand in the first place. If there's a way to switch between dual-wielding SMGs and dual-wielding assault rifles with a single action, please let me know.

To me, right now, this game is a pretty good game. But it's definitely not as good as the truly well-made first game. Of course, some parts are better than my expectation. But I hate to say that some of them are worse than I thought. Sure, this is not a bad game. But it could have been better than this.

Turns out the problems I had were due to the bad RAM stick after all. Performance is rock solid save for very foggy areas.

Just came back from Manhattan. It was a really eerie level. I didn't think New York could be an original level but it turned out really well. Looked like Hell on Earth to me. Maybe they are testing the engine so they can make an interesting city pipeline in the next Doom game?  

There were some things I didn't like though... Without going into too much detail, people who finished the New York level know what I am talking about.

As despicable as Frau Engel is, she is a blast. Great villain.

Pre rendered cutscenes are 30 FPS...

I have to say, Machine Games are better at making guns than New Id.

I'm kinda pissed about how they changed everyones face. It feels like a sequel to one of my favorite movies, except they changed all the actors per character.

17 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

I'm kinda pissed about how they changed everyones face. It feels like a sequel to one of my favorite movies, except they changed all the actors per character.

Yeah, BJ's lips are...fuller?

Bj is one of the worse of all of them, his eyes are different, his jaw is far thinner, they changed his eyes drastically. Wyatt doesn't even look like wyatt, everyone is different minus Bombote.

5 hours ago, antares031 said:

And yeah, I don't like the new dual-wielding system.

yup, this feels really bad. I would rather this weird mix and match system just be ditched than to try and fumble around with the way it is now. Switching weapons is just flat out a pain in the ass now, it was way better in TNO. There are s bunch off little things like this that are irritating me, and is curbing my excitement for the game from what it was.

Finished the game and I gotta say.... It's pretty fucking good. The guns felt good, the enemies were satisfying to blow apart, the music is top notch, and the story hits hard, especially the intro.

I think I only had a problem with the frequent crashes in the game, (They might fix it in the 5 gb patch) the finicky duel wield system, and the slightly underwhelming finale. Overall though, I hella enjoyed the game. Definantly worth a reply if they can fix those damned crashes.

LGR was Tweeting about the included mini game Wolf Stone 3D, and wondering if it's possible to port it over to ECWolf. Looks like a pretty neat Easter egg. 

DNKVaMoWsAY5EDC.jpg

DNKYSfcWAAAfO4I.jpg

DNKV3qpX4AAtN44.jpg

^ All the enemies, bosses, and posters are now BJ or other heroes from the good side.

Apparently Mecha-BJ is now the episode 3 boss, but I couldn't be assed to play through the entire episode just to find out.

I'm digging New Colossus a lot so far, but those first few levels I've found to be really bland and boring as far as environment. From the very little promotional footage I saw (and by that I mean just the E3 reveal and nothing else) I thought there'd be a lot more 60's style cities to explore that are lived in, but I'm also only about 4 levels in, so hopefully it picks up, just like Old Blood did.

I'm glad I skipped all the promotional stuff because there are a lot of small and big gameplay surprises and moments and they are fantastic. These guys were always pretty good at making moments like these with their games and I've loved them all so far.

*edit* Nevermind, literally the very next level is exactly what I was looking for.

Edited by wheresthebeef

1 hour ago, wheresthebeef said:

Apparently Mecha-BJ is now the episode 3 boss, but I couldn't be assed to play through the entire episode just to find out.

Here's the picture of the boss from episode 3, if you want to check out. Spoiler alert, of course.

Spoiler

e7942960ae.png

They replaced the 4 Pac-Man ghosts in Episode 3, Floor 10 secret level with a Cacodemon, a Garg from Commander Keen, some Shark I don't recognize and the Dope Fish. I also think they modified E3/F7, there a path back to the room where the secret maze starts which I don't see on any maps online.

All the enemies speak english, the 'SS' Guards appear to be Russian (still speak English though) as they yell 'Mother Russia!' when they see you.

And yes they say 'My life' in english when they die.

It seems to be a port of the game engine, the save files are even in WL6 format.

dludfhK.png

Edited by Tuskin38

I will wait until the game is at half price, not buying at this time because I rarely buy at full price for AAA games. That and all the technical issues the game seems to have right now.

Been having lots of small gameplay issues; you still have to press use to pickup ammo health and armor, but it seems less reliable than ever; I will be looking directly at an item but there might be some small 3 pixel big piece of debris in the way not allowing me to pick it up. In combat this can screw you up because now you have to re-orient yourself while being shot at just to pick up some health or something you need and you end up getting shot for more than the health pickup was worth.

Other issues like takedowns not working right at times, if you are duel wielding SMGs but you want a single pistol you have to stop duel wielding and then pull out the pistol both of which have animations you have to wait for, the objective icon is a very faint white icon making it hard to even see half the time, I'm playing on the second from hardest difficulty and I've been killed more by cheap near one-shot deaths than by actual challenge, and overall the game seems less polished than TNO, and things like enemies just instantly being alerted seemingly at random while other times I can sprint up to an enemy facing me and stealth kill him.

Another thing you can very easily exploit is the saving; you can now save at any time, so you can save right before you stealth kill a commander and since your perk progress is persistent, you can just stealth kill and get the enigma code off the first commander in the game and keep reloading your save to complete both those perks very early on. You can do this for the harder/rarer ones too.

I'm still loving the hell out of it and it seems theres a lot to do, but I wish it was more polished.

Edited by wheresthebeef

I hope someone figures out how to extract the files, I want to see the changes been btween Wolfenstein 3D and Wolfstone.

Episode 2/Floor 5 was rearranged, probably since the original map was shaped like a Swastika, the rooms are mostly the same, they just rearranged the hall ways.

Trying to do the Aardwolf maze, it is a pain without a minimap.

Edited by Tuskin38

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

Episode 2/Floor 5 was rearranged, probably since the original map was shaped like a Swastika, the rooms are mostly the same, they just rearranged the hall ways.

Wait what? They have swastikas all over the campaign, why would they change that?

There was a level in Episode 6, I think, where all the rooms were interlocking swastikas as well. I wonder what they did to that level...

12 minutes ago, Archvile Hunter said:

Wait what? They have swastikas all over the campaign, why would they change that?

There was a level in Episode 6, I think, where all the rooms were interlocking swastikas as well. I wonder what they did to that level...

Wolfstone is reskinned so you're a Nazi fighting the resistance, the resistance having areas shaped like swastikas wouldn't make much sense.

Could also be because the game is also released in Germany.

The German version AFAIK just removes the swastikas from textures and audio references to the Reich, just be easier to have one modified Wolf3D then to make a separate version just for Germany.