Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

(idgames update 11/15) Pigeon Speedmapping 2 -- Too Many Birds

uac base in where? (VERSION 4)
3.15 hrs + extra for music (+ more for fixes)
music: Memento Mori, MAP09

46 monsters
4 textures + 1 door + 1 switch + 3 crates = 9 textures
6 flats (2 of them crates)
only cc4 textures
not too much crates, only some

First time for me to use cc4 textures. Couldn't find matching textures fast enough. (Live and learn.)

- - -

ver 2, coop starts, missing textures

ver 3, tex alignments, includes the used cc4 textures/patches and flats

Updated ver 4, nodes rebuilt with Zennode (no glitches), some game balancing

Edited by dl_simc

1 hour ago, NeedHealth said:

Well he was un-informed of the importance of flipping pass-throu so... at least I wasn't completely wrong in helping him. :-)

I think that is a bad habit to get into. At least don't go setting passuse on locked doors. If you ever use the switch-covered-by-door trick you've just unwittingly put a key-skip exploit into your own map.

1 hour ago, NeedHealth said:

Name: Bedrock of Hate

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=06200892207512149436

First attempt, UV 100% in 5:04. This was good, with all the height differences and a well-interconnected layout always with multiple directions to go in. I felt that super bright red flat was a shade too garish to be used so pervasively, though.

Edit: this was recorded on v1 and I was too slow posting it before v2 was posted

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

Title: Hell of unmotivated mappers

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=01528323394129262958

First attempt, exits in 5:44 without deaths, but not quite zero live monsters. After all my damn rockets missed the archvile, I decided I preferred to exit and live, than die trying to take it out with a shotgun (I knew I was very near the end). Map is a charcoal grey version of E3M1/E3M7, like the originals but left in the oven too long. Several doors have unpegged doortracks, the large red door sector 34 was particularly noticable but I think there are others. Part of a skull switch is visible cut off at the bottom of some of the walls of sector 19.

I know I'm late, so hopefully this will be accepted. The build time was still generally 3 hours. Hope everyone likes it!

Name: Dark Stop

Format: Doom 2 (vanilla)

Build Time: 3 Hours

Music: "Cargo Bay" from Icarus: Alien Vanguard

Monster Count: 44 (46 in cooperative)

Flat Count: 6

Texture Count: 15 (If I update the map, I'll try to reduce it)

Themes: Every adjoining sector is a different height, and (partially) crate themed.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3tyejt6uij606dp/the3000thruler_pigeon2_v1.wad

I tried to add a custom sky, but kinda forgot how to... or Slade wasn't working with me, either one.

I haven't played any maps yet, but here's my impression of the themes

Theme analysis with subjective grading (*puts on snob glasses*):

46 Monsters (C): kinda arbitrary, but has the merit of forcing certain mappers to deveate from their norm if they rely on large monster counts.  For example, Bonnie's typical wide-open brawl map style would be challenged by the limitation.  For general mappers though, this is probably just an easy "filler" theme; most mappers that don't care much for the hardcore theme-matching aspect of the session, but want to make a generic speedmap, will use this theme to comply to session standards and ignore the other themes.  This isn't bad though, because it allows a broader range of participants.

6 textures, 6 flats (C in a vacuum; B+ combined with crates; A+ combined with 'cc4_tex only'):  very similar type of limitation based constraint as the 46-monsters restriction - it forces some mappers to map differently, but for other's it's just an arbitrary technicality because 6 is pretty managable.  When you combine this with crates, the restriction gets spicier, and becomes more challenging, which appeals to the 'limitation mapping is a puzzle game in-and-of-itself' crowd, like the Pinchy's of the world; where the fun is to stubbornly implement the map in spite of all constraints, but as cleverly as you can.

Crates and boxes (A-): i am biased cuz of crate fetish.  This theme serves as both as an aesthetic theme as well as gimmick theme, because crates can affect gameplay.  The best sessions under the ASS formula had one aesthetic theme, and another separate gimmick theme that encourages use of an underused gameplay feature, like barrels, crushers, etc.  Crates do both, but it also puts all eggs in one basket in terms of mapper participation appeal - if a person doesn't feel comfortable with crates, then they lose both the aesthetic and gimmick side at once, so only an A-minus.

---

cc4_tex only (A): goes well with the texture limit, and encourages people to use different textures than they are used to.

non-contiguous height (B): fun and potentially challenging.  throws a wrench at certain mapping styles.  Different ways to go about it too: you can change the ceiling or the floor or both.  

---
Overall: Pigeon 2 themes gets a B grade, because the only non-restriction based theme is Crates.

Basically the themes are like toppings on burritos: most people like burritos, but not everyone likes all the toppings, and some toppings are too spicy for some people; but some people like and actually prefer the spice.  Basically, if the sessions are attracting both the Breezeep types and the Pinchy types, then you are doing something right.

12 hours ago, A2Rob said:

Name: Downtown Brawl

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=37078490354586128263

First attempt, one early death then exit with 0 live monsters. Another nicely detailed map from you but without the expected fight against multiple archviles in a cramped space. I liked the precariously balanced crates and the secret trigger which I spotted at first on the automap. The red door cannot be opened from outside as it is flagged S1 remote switch (and no tag) not DR manual. Also the teleporter in the lava pit puts you back inside the warehouse bypassing the rising pillars, meaning one can grab the red key and not have to fight the sergeants/arachnotrons to escape that area. The yellow key trap was "oh boy here we go" obvious. I'm not sure how I survived it though. Nor am I sure how I managed to forget to pick up the sodding key afterwards! The exit trap could also be seen coming from some distance, and I guessed correctly what was going to happen, which meant I was able to bypass my slow reaction times and run away from it.

12 hours ago, Spie812 said:

Name: Save Your Maps Often

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=59379670167598115983

First attempt was successful in 5:12, and left no live monsters, although I nearly just ran past the last three. Unsurprisingly no obvious errors as the map was on its fourth revision when I downloaded it. It's fairly obvious the exit trap is coming, even if you don't have a live monsters counter showing three remaining, as the popup pits are clearly visible on the automap. Before that I nearly lost my life to a very hard revenant hit on a long steep staircase, then being snuck up on by chaingunners in the same area - I felt at the time I had been unfairly caught on a protruding support pillar but in retrospect I was at fault, as instead of escaping downstairs I had panic-blundered too far south into the alcove and got caught up in the corner. But it left me playing the remainder of the map more cautiously.

Edited by RjY

Whenever I hear Duke3D music gets used, that's a good sign. Especially when it's 233,778°C. 

Hi folks, I'm gonna kindly ask that my map not be included in any compilations for this session. I was super put off by how bonnie reacted to how it turned out - apparently 10+ maps is 'bombing', and a huge failure, in speedmapping sessions these days. 10+ maps isn't worth compiling, and you think it's cool to just ditch it and let other people do all the work?

Please don't run any more projects if you are just going to shit on other people's time & efforts. Thanks.

Hey, in Eagle 4 we had 5 maps (the one I actually made a map for), it's on /idgames now, compiled, getting OK rates. I think that 15 maps is not a failure (Eagle never hit close to 15) so I think it's a really good turnout, to be honest. You should compile it. 

^^ dude, no offence but you've got some serious attitude problems. That's really not a reaction that would be suitable, umm, anywhere.

-------

@bonnie if thee needeth help with compilation, I'm offering mine (I got used to doing it for NaZa hehehehhheheeehehe)

I don't use discord so wat!?...

ffs what is going on i'm drunk and please don't tell me that there's gonna be more drama in this session.  do i need to resurrect the Frankenstein monster of Obsidian and TMDonut to make an actual functional speedmapping session again?

@bzzrak have you been in the discord like at all today

i think you'll be changing your tune if you see what i've been saying recently

P.S. at the moment pigeon 3 is fairly unlikely to happen

it's not completely off the table, but it probably wont happen

It can be like a little game, Guess Who Will Create The Next Bird Speedmapping Series And It's Name. I call dibs on Albatross so we can have ASS back :D

@bzzrak I'm sorry if I came across as mean, that wasn't my intention. Or are you referring to an_mutt? 

Some perspective from the original dwspd events that began the speedmapping craze.

% grep '^Map #' dwspd* | sed 's/  */ /g'
dwspd001.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map13
dwspd002.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map16
dwspd003.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map09 + E2M7
dwspd004.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map17
dwspd005.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map11 + 2 E1M8s
dwspd006.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map11 + E3M1
dwspd007.txt:Map # : E1M1 - E1M9
dwspd008.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map06
dwspd009.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map02 (INCREDIBLE!)
dwspd010.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map07
dwspd012.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map04
dwspd013.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map05
dwspd014.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map09
dwspd015.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map03
dwspd016.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map08
dwspd017.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map07
dwspd018.txt:Map # : Map01 - Map07

I hope this session will be compiled anyway, despite of drama and personal issues behind it.  I don't want get my map wasted or lost, because yesterday I felt quite terrible due health problems and only determination helped me to finish that short map.

Edited by Myst.Haruko

10 hours ago, RjY said:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=01528323394129262958

First attempt, exits in 5:44 without deaths, but not quite zero live monsters. After all my damn rockets missed the archvile, I decided I preferred to exit and live, than die trying to take it out with a shotgun (I knew I was very near the end). Map is a charcoal grey version of E3M1/E3M7, like the originals but left in the oven too long. Several doors have unpegged doortracks, the large red door sector 34 was particularly noticable but I think there are others. Part of a skull switch is visible cut off at the bottom of some of the walls of sector 19.

I was going to fix the map last night, but it was too late so I going to do the fixing job later today, also thanks for the demo

11 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Name: Insomnia Wasteland

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=73430145495490448758

First attempt for v3, dies once then exits with 0 live monsters in 3:40. Despite gothic theme the opening is vaguely reminiscent of the start of E1M1, think it's just the staircase up to the windows though. First time I fell for the revenant trap but second time I just ran through to the teleporter and nothing woke up. In fact, I checked afterwards that the map is susceptible to a stay-quiet exploit to avoid every battle and win pacifist. Even if you don't stay quiet the final fight you can just run away from, back up through the red door and watch them all kill each other. Some dodgy texture alignment on the arachnotron platform crates and the sides of the switches behind the other crates.

Edited by RjY

13 minutes ago, RjY said:

In fact, I checked afterwards that the map is susceptible to a stay-quiet exploit to avoid every battle and win pacifist

There is a similar issue in my map as well, the monsters that teleport in for the big fight in the second crate room don't get woken up if you don't shoot inside the first one. I imagine most players will want to go in there and fight in there anyway so it isnt that big of an issue, but I might connect the closet to the area the player spawns in instead since they are presented with some shotgunners directly after starting which means they are very likely to shoot

While we all love adorable doggos looking happy...

Thread has too many dogs and needs more birds.

Doggos have Doomers bamboozled again.

Edited by geo