Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

(idgames update 11/15) Pigeon Speedmapping 2 -- Too Many Birds

11 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

@NeedHealth Your maps give me good vibes.  I liked your speedmap entries this far.

Thanks for your kind words! x2 :-)  I will try to make more difficult maps in the future( starting now) because I figured I can't hog map01/map02 in every wad compilation I participate in.

The exit of my map is missing since I forgot to add it, I'm fixing that now as we speak :) And fixing some other more cosmetic things like embedding the switches into the wall instead of having those stupid pokey-outy parts and probably trying to find some better textures for some areas (speaking of, how did you like my reappropriation of BIGDOOR5 for the walls of the first warehouse room? I thought it looked pretty good, the metal parts kind of look like support beams, sadly there isn't a flat version I could use on the roof to back that up :( I also might add a crusher to the final room as per bonnie's suggestion in suitepees stream, not sure about that one though

Welp, I have updated my map finally :) here are the changes in version 2:

*Made the exit actually work  <-pretty important one, amirite? :D

*embedded the switches in the walls instead of having them poke out, should make the map look a little nicer

*changed the textures in the small outside area to look more appropriate

*changed some texture alignments to make them look better

*fixed the monster teleport room so that an arachnotron that was stuck in there before can get out now

*Added a midi- "Hangar 7" by Jimmy

therektafire_pigeon_2_v2.zip

@therektafire Better, but still some issues.

1. I don't remember the first version having GL nodes.

2. Eureka added upper, mid and lower textures to all your switches, so none of them animate.

3. There is a sector on the south wall of the north room with the ceiling and floor both set to height of 64. Not sure why it's there, but it's Boom type 128 which is a secret type and therefore can't be scored.

26 minutes ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

1. I don't remember the first version having GL nodes.

If you're talking about the version from the compilation, that's because I removed them. His original did indeed have them.

I guess I'll wait another day to finish the compile since some people I thought were gonna push updates didn't.

The lower sector in the north crate room is a lighting control sector for the flickering light effect in that room and so it isn't meant to be seen. Why I made it secret I'm actually not sure... I should have just made the linedef connecting the two secret so it wouldn't look like a door on the automap... I knew there was a secret that wasnt being counted but I couldn't figure out where it was since I obviously hadn't touched the map in 2 days so I forgot I tagged it as a Boom secret and just kept looking at the main sector tags for 9s and came up short and in confusion :D Ugh I should have just made it vanilla since it doesn't even use any boom features lol, then the secret issue wouldnt have even been a thing to begin with.

Oh also this version has GL nodes

Another small update to my map, all the major issues should be gone now (well besides the map being too short for my liking again but I mean there's obviously not something I can do about that at this stage :D I'll just add it in with my eagle 7 map for my speedmap betterication project)

Changes:

*fixed switches not animating

*Removed secret tag from sector that isn't supposed to be secret and isn't supposed to be accessed at all for that matter (its a lighting control sector)

*Moved the ssg secret a little and more it a little more obvious (but not too obvious, you still have to be pretty careful when looking for it :)

therektafire_pigeon_2_v3.zip

9 hours ago, bonnie said:

last call for updates

i'm compiling and uploading by midnight est

crap, i forgot coop starts in my map.  it dawned on me literally just now.  thought i'd mention it.

11 hours ago, bonnie said:

i ended up just going to sleep like a regular person

here's the compiled version sans level graphics

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy2thuoefsonv4y/pigeon02beta_v3.wad?dl=1

i guess check if it's good or not i dont know

It is still version 2 of Bedrock of Hate in the wad compilation, the one without secrets and some fixes. Here's the latest one.

https://ufile.io/4e3dp

Name: Bedrock of Hate

Music: GAME11.MID from descent DOS. Time: ~~3 hours

Themes: maximum of 6 flats + 6 textures, Every adjoining sector must be a different height

version 3 moved the blue key sliiiightly. This was very important for a linedef trigger.

version 2 changed music to GAME11.MID from descent DOS. fixed texture misalignments. added a couple secrets.

e- YES I am a stupid who should have noticed this WAY earlier I am sorry.

Edited by NeedHealth

edit:

important notice: ownership of the discord (and by extension, pigeon) has been transferred to Myst.Haruko

Edited by bonnie

This place is better for important questions than discord as I'm feeling responsible for transfered pigeon speedmapping discord and sessions now. I don't know why bonnie decided to leave this thing for me is beyond my imagination and I won't judge his or her important decision. 

So, first of all, should I run pigeon sessions as usual and keep legacy live on? I know, a lot of stuff happened behind second speedmapping compilation and things weren't that good after that. Of course, I could delete everything and people after some time would forget about this thing, but I'm feeling that it would be unfair for those who input their time for creating maps, and those who played it and provided feedback. So, that's why I'm asking people about this thing. 

Second thing, my experiences with editing programs like gimp or photoshop are limited, so if I would continue future speedmapping sessions, I would need some helpers with picture stuff. I know how to compile textures, maps , except include custom map names(I'm wiling to learn it, if someone will give me helping hand).

Anyway, it's upon you all and I respect all opinions about this important thing. Let's leave all grudges and drama behind it, it's not worth to bring it in light. Hell, I even can keep old rules with some changes if someone will request it. 

To be completely honest, it's up to you. You shouldn't really delete everything, as you said it's people's efforts, however if you want to keep these going, that's good. I personally kinda want Pigeon to keep going because it's good to have regular speedmapping sessions (and have them so common - twice a month - 1 Eagle, 1 Pigeon) and it helps newbies fit better in this community.

As for the second thing, custom map names isn't tough to do. You have to install Bitmap Font Writer and a Doom font (there's a thread in Doomworld about it). Then you save one bmp for the level title (presumably with large fonts) and one bmp for the author (presumably a small font) and you merge them in whatever other software. I use MS Paint to merge them. It's important that the length shouldn't exceed 320 pixels (otherwise it doesn't show up as a whole) and I think the height shouldn't be below 20 or something (between the large and small font there should be one pixel only). 

Also if you're in lead of the Discord now, could I kindly ask to be unbanned? It's been some time after drama and I don't want more of it. I think we shouldn't look in the past anymore, rather look towards the future.

Sure, your ban ran away. 

If you can, please link that thread for quick access, it will helpful. Well, I'm leading discord now and I think I should ask opinions and take the best suggesions from people. Of course with sanity and criticism. 

Here it is, specifically look out for Doom Bitmap Fonts by GreyGhost. That's what you need.

Oh GreyGhost :_(

@MH if I were you I'd honestly keep the holiday based schedule, as IMO 2 speedmapping sessions per month is kinda oversaturarion. Having a session once in 2 weeks kinda takes away the hype.

41 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Well, I'm leading discord now and I think I should ask opinions and take the best suggesions from people.

If you take the best suggestions, then is it really you who's leading? thatthinkingdinosaurpicture.jpg

What I'm trying to say is: do whatever you find beneficial as yo you're in charge now

Ha ha, yeah. I must be strong and show leader charisma. I'm just not used to lead stuff in discord, only on facebook and such. 

Just finished some UV Max runs from map01-10. Actually there are only 9 maps and the 9th slot is empty, and I don't know why.

Also the map names are weird.

Map01 UV Max in 1:45

I don't know why but my videos cannot upload in 60fps. The original files are in 60fps.

Short comments can be seen in video introductions.

Map02 UV Max in 1:18

Map03 UV Max in 1:57

Map04 UV Max in 2:38

Map05 UV Max in 1:53

Map06 UV Max in 1:45

Map07 UV Max in 1:10

Map08 UV Max in 2:38

Map10 UV Max in 1:59

IMPORTANT:

The uploaded wad has been updated to fix the non-animating flat on map03 as well as significantly reduce the overall file size. You can thank Myst.Haruko for this update.

2 hours ago, bonnie said:

IMPORTANT:

The uploaded wad has been updated to fix the non-animating flat on map03 as well as significantly reduce the overall file size. You can thank Myst.Haruko for this update.

Luckily my demos do not desync.

Ok, I have finished all UV Max runs except map11 because it is a total disaster for UV Max...so I'll skip it (at least for the moment).

Map12 UV Max in 2:35

Map13 UV Max in 2:30

Map14 UV Max in 2:36

Map15 UV Max in 1:39

3 hours ago, lirui1001 said:

Ok, I have finished all UV Max runs except map11 because it is a total disaster for UV Max...so I'll skip it (at least for the moment).

Yeah um, about that... 😞

I hadn't really thought about uv maxing when I made the final encounter, I was mostly just thinking about wanting something more challenging than my last speedmap because in that map you could basically just run for the exit which makes it pretty boring on top of the map itself already being really short since I'm not all that great at quickly mapping yet (which is ironically enough the reason why I wanted to participate in the speedmapping sessions to begin with...). So I had a bunch of mid tier enemies teleport in and a tall lowering floor so the player would have something interesting to do before exiting, what I *didn't* think about is how given the limited ammo on the map the pain elementals would cause a huge issue for maxing... I guess that is what @leodoom85 was talking about in the discord when he said the PEs were overkill...

31 minutes ago, therektafire said:

Yeah um, about that... 😞

I hadn't really thought about uv maxing when I made the final encounter, I was mostly just thinking about wanting something more challenging than my last speedmap because in that map you could basically just run for the exit which makes it pretty boring on top of the map itself already being really short since I'm not all that great at quickly mapping yet (which is ironically enough the reason why I wanted to participate in the speedmapping sessions to begin with...). So I had a bunch of mid tier enemies teleport in and a tall lowering floor so the player would have something interesting to do before exiting, what I *didn't* think about is how given the limited ammo on the map the pain elementals would cause a huge issue for maxing... I guess that is what @leodoom85 was talking about in the discord when he said the PEs were overkill...

The main problem is, it is even impossible to lure enemies outside and kill them in the 1st room to reduce the amount, because there are always many lost souls in the last room and there are only 2 medikits and no armor in this map.

If just for finishing the map instead of max it, I have already done.

I tried to let AV res the shotgun guys to get more shells but still cannot deal with these huge number of lost souls. The room is an open area so lost souls must be everywhere whatever you do in this map.

Also for me every map must be possible to get UV Max when designing. A map which cannot be maxed is considered to be unfinished in my view.