Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

(idgames update 11/15) Pigeon Speedmapping 2 -- Too Many Birds

I see, hmm... did you at least find the ssg with the shells hidden inside one of the crates in the 1st room? I don't know what version of my map is in the compilation but I do know I made it easier to find since I noticed people were having difficulties finding it in the original version

10 minutes ago, therektafire said:

I see, hmm... did you at least find the ssg with the shells hidden inside one of the crates in the 1st room? I don't know what version of my map is in the compilation but I do know I made it easier to find since I noticed people were having difficulties finding it in the original version

I have found it but they are still not enough for max, considering the number of lost souls.

Oh my god, this map... Boom doesn't limit 21 Lost Souls, so please consider thoroughly before putting in a bunch of Pain Elementals. I understand $h!t happens when there are time limit for you to map. I think this is at least this is a learning experience.

Anyway, after the planning phase, I found that health is more significant than ammo in this map. Therefore, at least an Armor would be nice to have. Then, you have to pray that those Lost Souls infight hard enough to kill themselves.

Wow nice job @rdwpa and @GarrettChan. I guess I made a map that is challenging for maxers and annoying for everyone else...

16 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I think this is at least this is a learning experience.

A learning experience indeed... I realized the reason why I keep only being able to make short ass maps for these kind of sessions is because I keep focusing on each individual room until i get it just they way I want it and only then do I move on to the next part which is an issue because that then leaves me in a situation where I spent a lot of time on not very much stuff and have to do things like what I did with this map without doing much testing... obviously I need to stop doing that or stop speedmapping in general because my maps will always be crap and bring down the quality of the set otherwise :(

@therektafire I don't think that you should stop doing speed maps. Maybe just reconsider map planning strategies and leave yourself some minutes for quick testing. 

I'm planning to continue these sessions(even if few people will participate) and for next session, I just thinking about dates, because December 02 for me feels way too early. I would like to move this session to December 09 or near christmas(holiday themed session). I still have week to plan things and such. 

Well I didn't actually say I was going to stop making maps for the speedmapping sessions I just said that if i want to continue making them I need to come at them in a different way to how I'm doing my other non speedmaps

@therektafire No problem, we're all learning. I can foresee when I get into the mapping stuff, I will produce a ton of $h!t before having the first good map. I totally understand the pressure of the limitation of time, so I didn't want to criticize anything. I felt sort of relief after completion of the run, so I hope those words didn't offend you.

Another thing is that I hope that bonnie can hold future pigeon speedmapping sessions despite having something not-really-happy in this session (I don't know what it is, but it seems bad...).

@rdwpa Nice Lost Soul strat on that Arch-vile, tasty!

Edited by GarrettChan

@GarrettChan I'm new lead of Pigeon speedmapping sessions. Bonnie left, I don't know why. Just read older posts. 

@bonnie could you explain motives behind your decision to leave? I don't want leave people confused. 

@Myst.HarukoNice, I hope the future sessions will go well. I knew there was a thing in the older posts, but not the actual thing. It doesn't really matter because the outcome is already there, so I think just don't bother bonnie if it's a not-so-happy situation.

Well, I think few simple sentences could explain why. I don't judge them and my intention isn't that. Just make things clear for those who will ask why me and why not them. 

@rdwpa sweet, thanks :).

@GarrettChan You do surprise me, you seem to be saying you find it easier to wait for a video to render, then wait again for the huge file to upload and possibly be re-encoded, than it is to upload a small file to some host, and post the link to it? Although my perspective may be skewed (I've largely automated the process of chucking demos onto sites like tinyupload.com with a script) I can only think you must be labouring under the belief that a demo in .lmp form must always be accompanied by a proper text file. This is not the case here, we're not in the subforum which is regularly scoured for submissions by an apparently tireless archive maintainer :).

@RjYFor some reason, I was too lazy to write the .txt file associated with the .lmp, but I'll eventually do that since I want to run these maps. It's funny that you said it's weird to post a video instead of a small .lmp file. Yeah, sometimes even I can't understand myself ;P

What actually happened:

1. Finally finished a run. (Took like 40 min or something)

2. Found out that it happens to be the time that I should go to the airport to pick someone up.

3. Re-record the .lmp into a video while getting dressed, and the re-recording was finished before leaving.

4. Upload the video and write some random things for therektafire to reply (wait... what?).

5. Went out.

(5 hours later)

6. Here is the file: ps0211-358.zip

@therektafire

Create rooms with different heights and no details then find ways to connect them. Optimize your work flow - I'll use about ½ hour for the map, bug testing and half an hour for thing placement.

For Eagle 8, I already have key features mentally planned out. If the mapping process stalls I'll go lift ideas from some other wad compilation and remix those ( or not as is the case for Bed of Hate because I suffered mapblock after mapblock until I did this and had almost no time left)

What is important is I do not allow myself to go back and change what I create much other than for gameplay reasons.

here's a quick timeline of the events that have transpired:

Spoiler

-1 hour after the second session had already ended, we had 7 maps total. i was pretty obviously upset at this, as i kinda set 17 maps as the minimum, especially since i put a bit of work into getting as much publicity for pigeon as i could

-i become quite upset in the discord over the awful turnout

-people for some strange reason assume that me being upset at the turnout was actually me insulting the quality of their maps

-now everyone is upset

-i erroneously decide to say im not going to compile, despite having already started

-2 hours after the sessions had ended we had 15 maps (still bad to me) and everyone hates me

so instead of letting pigeon die, i gave it to myst.haruko in hopes that more people will continue

that and the fact that making themes and participating and compiling is not only time consuming but quite stressful

and also a little bit because nobody liked my custom health items, which means nobody would like most of the things i would have had planned for christmas

my only regret is not warning myst.haruko to not unban naza. i guess i didn't expect him to start begging to be unbanned so he could read the drama so soon after i made the announcement

i also didn't expect him to fill the very post in which he begged to be unbanned with bait to piss me off, but that's naza i guess

25 minutes ago, bonnie said:

here's a quick timeline of the events that have transpired:

Reveal hidden contents

-1 hour after the second session had already ended, we had 7 maps total. i was pretty obviously upset at this, as i kinda set 17 maps as the minimum, especially since i put a bit of work into getting as much publicity for pigeon as i could

-i become quite upset in the discord over the awful turnout

-people for some strange reason assume that me being upset at the turnout was actually me insulting the quality of their maps

-now everyone is upset

-i erroneously decide to say im not going to compile, despite having already started

-2 hours after the sessions had ended we had 15 maps (still bad to me) and everyone hates me

so instead of letting pigeon die, i gave it to myst.haruko in hopes that more people will continue

that and the fact that making themes and participating and compiling is not only time consuming but quite stressful

and also a little bit because nobody liked my custom health items, which means nobody would like most of the things i would have had planned for christmas

my only regret is not warning myst.haruko to not unban naza. i guess i didn't expect him to start begging to be unbanned so he could read the drama so soon after i made the announcement

i also didn't expect him to fill the very post in which he begged to be unbanned with bait to piss me off, but that's naza i guess

The server is in good hands now. And no drama this time. Don't worry.

5 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

@RjYLater I'll post in the misc demos part 3. I was too busy to finish everything, so I just want to drop a video for now.

@RjYsame.

Map01 UV Max in 1:31 - ps0201-131.zip

It's an interesting reference to E3M1 if I'm recognizing things correctly. This map may be a little bit luck-based because of the Arch-vile, and whether the Cacodemon wants to hit something. I had a run where the Cacodemon hit an Imp, and then killed by the Imp, which saved a lot of time. Sadly the Arch-vile didn't cooperate, so that one was gone. Video here.

Map02 UV Max in 1:08 - ps0202-108.zip

Despite the lazy name of the map, it's a pretty fun map to run. You have not enough rockets to deal with everything, so how to spare them for the last door is important. Had a fun time blasting through some of those Cacodemons. For a first speedmap, the quality of map is nice to be enjoyed. Video here.

Map03 UV Max in 1:33 - ps0203-133.zip

NeedHealth never lets me down. It's a fast pace and intense map to run through although I don't like the music, which is somewhat similar to Into the Beast's Belly to me for some reason... The map is so fun to run, so I can't hold myself back for some more attempts after I got my first pass. Probably the efficiency of the Rocket Launcher can be higher, but I couldn't do so. Video here (the 1:34 run).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: I don't know why I like to waste my time on this guy's maps... Probably NeedHealth should change to NeedLife ;P  Anyway, I don't know how I got that 1:33 because other passes are very far off. I should move on now...

@RjYFor some reason, I actually like to watch videos instead of demos because I can just drag around, but everyone has different preference.

Edited by GarrettChan

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

For some reason, I actually like to watch videos instead of demos because I can just drag around, but everyone has different preference.

That makes sense, I can see why the ability to rewind without having to restart would be occasionally desirable, but I find the following properties of in-engine .lmp playback useful and desirable far more often than the ability to rewind:

• can watch demo from automap perspective (iddt*2) or walk camera
  • can pause demo and continue scrolling round automap or walk camera
  • can turn off music without also losing game sound
  • can watch demo at high speed without stuttering or A/V desync

Advantages of a video:

• can rewind, skip around, seek to any time as desired - fair enough, but in many cases -skipsec can replay the demo so fast that the time to restart from the beginning is not troublesome
  • can watch on mobile devices which are more likely to have a video player than a doom engine installed; also no need to fiddle with command lines - I do not have such a device so this is like zero advantage for me

Anyway this is getting well offtopic so I shall desist

I have no idea how to even give proper command line arguments to apps on Android devices even though I know for a fact you can start them from the command line :/ The main issue is that you can't call them directly, you have to go through a proxy service called the Activity Manager (you use it with "am" command) and I'm not sure if it can give the app any additional arguments other than what it normally starts with

Map04 UV Max in 2:01 - ps0204-201.zip

Well, I think this map has a little bit of ammo issue because I can run out of ammo half of the time. Given the number of medium-weight monsters, I think offering a Super Shotgun would be nice, or more rockets. I guess mappers usually think Super Shotgun is over-powered and it can break the level, which is true. However, this level is not in this case. Video here.

Map05 UV Max in 1:37 - ps0205-137.zip

Another NeedHealth map, what can you expect ;P  The fun part of this level is to open everything up and then blast them to hell! One little complaint is that I don't really like rockets camouflaged with the crates, making them difficult to see. Video here.

Map06 UV Max in 1:30 - ps0206-130.zip

For some reason, I always think the author's ID is "Spiel812", as "spiel" being one of the few German words I know. Anyway, this map is not easy to get a good run because the cramped space fight and you need some luck to get some infightings. However, the outdoor area is nice. The last trap is a little bit not-so-nice because you have to walk into the Arch-vile's face to trigger it. Overall, it's a fun map. Video here.

Map07 UV Max in 0:55 - ps0207-55.zip

Another meme map, but at least this time it's max-able, which is nice. Probably time to call in @bzzrak to teach me history :D

Map07 NM Speed in 0:35 - ps0207n35.zip

Basically it's the same thing as UV Speed due to the excess amount of Invulnerabilities...

Map02 NM Speed in 0:50 - ps0202n50.zip

Well, harder than expected, at the starting point, you can just be shot to death. Sometimes Cacodemons get in your way, such as blocking that secret. Overall, fun map.

Map03 NM Speed in 0:38 - ps0203n38.zip

Hectic but fun level. That 4 rockets do make a difference because of the double ammo on Nightmare!.

Map04 NM Speed in 0:42 - ps0204n42.zip

Can't finish the Blue Keycard room in one sweep, so I need to drop down and kill those Chaingunners in the opennings.

Map05 NM Speed in 0:38 - ps0205n38.zip

Again, very hectic map because you have a lot to run through. I died twice in front of the exit switch because of all those crazy monsters.

Map06 NM Speed in 0:22 - ps0206n22.zip

Despite being the shortest run by far, it's actually the most difficult Nightmare! run so far due to the high movement requirement. The indoor area is rough, but after you get past this, the outdoor area is not that bad.

**Map02 now has a lot of HOMs. I think useful texture may be accidentally removed when down-sizing the WAD to cause this.

Edited by GarrettChan

I need check that again. Thanks for the mention. 

Heh. That's strange. I still have original wad and I really hate fuck up things again.

9 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

@Myst.HarukoMap02 now has a lot of HOMs. I think useful texture may be accidentally removed when down-sizing the WAD to cause this.

Yes the following textures seem to be missing: ATR_CMP, ATR_LTE, ATR_SKY (map02); HDRKSKY3 (map08); NEBUSKY4 (map10). Also map09's automap title still credits an_mutt while the intermission screen title credits "NOBODY". Also map16's title is still "Pigeon 3 isn't happening" which might not be the case any more? :)

Alright, I'm taking a look in wad right now. It seems when I stripped down unused content, it removed some custom stuff.

How in dechaked change map name?

I'm working behind the scenes, so pigeon03 will happen. I can't decide date yet, because december 02 for me is way too early, so most likely I'll host it on december 09.