Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Contraboss

baby's first maps!

I just started mapping myself, and just by your screenshots you've got a lot more talent than me, lol.  Your problem with the animated textures has to do with the ANIMDEFs file, I still haven't learned how those work but I know it's important for adding new animated textures.  Hope you get it figured out soon I look forward to playing this when all the maps are done :)

17 minutes ago, Contraboss said:

I should've clarified; I'm doing all this in GZDoom.

Oh yes, but GZDoom can run maps of any format.  When you first ran the editor did you choose Doom/Doom II format (vanilla), Boom format, Doom in Hexen Format, or UDMF?  The last 2 are G/ZDoom specific I believe, but most people I know still map in Boom format anyway.  I personally have started with UDMF for the full range of GZDoom features.

EDIT: Nevermind now I see in the OP where you said it is in vanilla Doom format.  If that's the case idk if anything I posted will help :\

13 minutes ago, guitardz said:

Oh yes, but GZDoom can run maps of any format.  When you first ran the editor did you choose Doom/Doom II format (vanilla), Boom format, Doom in Hexen Format, or UDMF?  The last 2 are G/ZDoom specific I believe, but most people I know still map in Boom format anyway.  I personally have started with UDMF for the full range of GZDoom features.

EDIT: Nevermind now I see in the OP where you said it is in vanilla Doom format.  If that's the case idk if anything I posted will help :\

I'll be honest, it's all very confusing for me, but I think I'm slowly starting to understand. I'll fix my OP, but now I see what you're saying. I don't think I've been using "vanilla doom" as a testing platform, rather, I've actually been going with UDMF this whole time since I primarily use Doom Builder 2, and SLADE when I'm feeling confident. Does that make sense? I can practically feel everyone's eyes rolling as they're reading this, wishing I had been reading every FAQ posted in the past decade :/

17 minutes ago, Contraboss said:

I've actually been going with UDMF this whole time since I primarily use Doom Builder 2, and SLADE when I'm feeling confident. Does that make sense? I can practically feel everyone's eyes rolling as they're reading this, wishing I had been reading every FAQ posted in the past decade :/

UDMF is good.  It has a broad range of features not available in older formats, like 3D floors and slopes, ACS scripting,  and my personal favorite Line Portals.  Doom in Hexen Format has a lot of the same features as well.  The downside to UDMF is that players will absolutely have to play it in GZDoom I believe, because other source ports aren't capable of playing UDMF maps.  That is the main reason a lot of people still use Boom format.  There are probably a ton of cool things you could do with your maps in that format you haven't even thought of yet (I know I haven't, lol). Don't worry about any eye rolling, from my experience here so far everyone is very accepting of us noobs and love to lend a helping hand to new mappers :)

Okay, Lovelies!!!! Map 10 is finished for now! I had a lot of fun creating this one. I was able to use my maritime experience in the Coast Guard to hash out a container ship from scratch and create a somewhat realistic experience onboard a very hellish vessel. The objective is to fight your way through the hoards on the main deck with all the connex boxes until you either reach the engine room or crew spaces. From there, you have to bring online the main engines, ship's service generators, communications/navigational electronics, and finally find an alternate route to the barricaded bridge where the exit is. I recommend checking out the connex boxes as much as you can because you're gonna need all the ammo you can find since it takes a lot of demons to populate a modern cargo vessel. I've updated the wad and readme, and even included a short demo of me getting owned by a revenant. I have a full play-through video that I'll upload later if anyone wants to check out the full map and all it's mysterious and wonderful secrets it has to offer. Let me know what you all think, and please enjoy!

7 hours ago, grouchbag said:

from what I've played, I like this mapset just fine. :D Thank you!

Thanks friend! What was your favorite map, if you don't mind me asking? Did you get a chance to take map 10 for a spin?

Only got as far as map 3, but I do know this will be a favorite. I'm kind of a slow player.  lol Getting old I guess. :)

Contraboss, my thanks to you and your team. These maps are a pleasure to play!

They look great, have a natural flow (easy to learn and navigate) and a lot of substance (monster placement, secret areas and pick-ups).

There are a couple cases where I saw the HOM effect (missing texture), including a screenshot from one in map 02. Perhaps my DOOM2.WAD is an older version and I don't have these textures (PANBREI).

contraboss-hom.png

On 3/28/2018 at 9:53 PM, Contraboss said:

Folks, I'm almost done with Map 10 which is a big ol' container ship! I'm just polishing some things, (which is one of my favorite parts!) and yet I'm still struggling with something; Some of the animated textures and switches that I borrowed from the TNT: Revisited resources are just static, and I can't figure out why. I'm sure it's something simple (at least I hope) because I've been learning a metric shitload of mapping tips these past months, but a cursory google search isn't turning up anything helpful. Anyways, if any of you savvy mappers know what I'm talking about, please enlighten me. In the meantime here's some screenshots!

Screenshot_Doom_20180328_162652.png

+3

Doomworlds resident dockmaster approves of this mappage

*sorry for the triple-post

How do you guys deal with mapper's block? I really had a good creative streak going with the last 5 maps, but I'm currently working on a train depot map and I'm just not feeling the creative spark.

What do you normally do to get inspired or come up with ideas?

I swap through some kind of cycle - gaming, watching my favorite shows/videos, listening music, walking, working, studying and not touching mapping for few days until I refill my energy, passion and creativity for map building. 

Well, maybe it's worth to release maps the way as they are? Nobody is going to punish you if you won't make exactly 10 maps. 5-6 maps are perfect for small episode and I believe that you learned a lot through these months. Anyway, just take it easy, lots of mappers work on their projects few years or more until it's done.

50 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

I swap through some kind of cycle - gaming, watching my favorite shows/videos, listening music, walking, working, studying and not touching mapping for few days until I refill my energy, passion and creativity for map building. 

Well, maybe it's worth to release maps the way as they are? Nobody is going to punish you if you won't make exactly 10 maps. 5-6 maps are perfect for small episode and I believe that you learned a lot through these months. Anyway, just take it easy, lots of mappers work on their projects few years or more until it's done.

That makes sense, thank you! I actually considered capping off this wad at 10, and if I'm still not happy with where it's going, I may do just that.

46 minutes ago, grrfield said:

link in OP is dead. How am I supposed to play this alleged masterpiece?

Fixed! Thank you!