Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Should the site allow Doom 3 maps?

Are you talking about idgames or forum threads about upcoming mods? For the latter we have this forum. For the former... I think it may only happen if popular demand is strong enough, but only @Linguica and the other admins have a say. Doom 3 mods are built very slowly as it is.

I Remember reading a post somewhere that Doom 3 mods size is huge, and they're not ready to allow uploading Gigabytes for each mod.

I wish it did. Doom 3 mapping is untapped potential. Allowing it might promote a surge of activity and the creation of new mapping styles.

5 hours ago, printz said:

@LinguicaDoom 3 mods are built very slowly as it is.

But can't this be blamed largely on the fact that Doom 3 doesn't really have a centralized community anymore? I remember uploading my original maps on doom3.filefront ages ago and I would see semi-regular new maps there. Now lots of those community maps are lost along with the site. Doom3world is also gone. No community=no interest in making new maps.

2 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

I Remember reading a post somewhere that Doom 3 mods size is huge, and they're not ready to allow uploading Gigabytes for each mod.

But is this true for mere maps? Just how big is an individual map pack that uses no new resources? And it would it not be possible to do workarounds like uploading the map/mod to a third party site such as moddb and then merely linking to it on this site thus preventing the site from having to upload it but while still maintaining the benefit for having a centralized community for it on the site?

The only reason to be worried about Doom 3 is if publishers abandon it, or they prefer selling the BFG Edition instead of the original. As long as the original version is still available, we still have the GPL source code to keep the executable alive, and third-party editors to go along with it. But I expect the public interest on it to be at the level of Strife: only for daring individuals (when it's much easier to throw a Doom 2 slugfest instead).

Right now DoomWadStation hosts Doom 3 maps.

53 minutes ago, printz said:

Right now DoomWadStation hosts Doom 3 maps.

The last Doom 3 map/mod release was on May 21, 2016....

This is what I am talking about. Yes there are sites like DoomWadStation, but how many even know it exists? I had completely forgotten that place was even a thing until you brought it up. This is why I feel allowing Doom 3 maps on Doomworld would be such a big step forward. Doomworld is already popular (well compared to those other sites anyway) and thus allowing Doom 3 maps on it might increase the interest in Doom 3 mapping a bit.

I doubt allowing Doom 3 uploads to idgames is going to change anything, people are free to upload their mods wherever they feel like, it's not limited to idgames and Doom 3 modding could simply flourish on any other mod sharing hub but, you see ....

@hardcore_gamer Just to point out Doomworld doesn't have it's own map upload process at this point in time. It's simply a mirror for idgames, which is an FTP site specifically designed to handle original Doom maps. The only reason it's still used is legacy reasons: as an FTP it lacks vast amounts of the features of more modern HTML based file hosting sites.

Even if idgames did somehow allow Doom 3 maps, a better question is why would we choose the inherant limitations of an FTP? A dedicated website-based host with capabilities for things like version control, screenshots, author portfolios etc. would be far more user friendly.

It would be nice to see mods for this game - there have been Doom 1 maps done for this version, but then again it might not have much interest from anybody in the meantime.

Also - does Rage the game have some mods for it?

8 hours ago, Faceball 2000 said:

Also - does Rage the game have some mods for it?

Don't know. That game's modding community never really took off I think. And I can see why, seeing as it was somewhat of a failure. The gunplay was fine, but the overall game structure was pretty chaotic and the pacing is bad. The racing part of the game felt completely out of place, like it was a completely different game that had nothing to do with the rest of it all. I have also heard that the editor for the game was a pain to work with. And then there were also all the problems with the megatextures.