Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

"scroll texture up" wrap/loop?

Mapping in Zdoom: Doom in Hexen. There's a "scroll texture up" action, but it seems like when using this on a mid texture, the texture simply scrolls up and out one time and one time only. Is there a way to get it to wrap like the scroll texture left/right actions?

I usually use Scroll Texture both, action 221.

Are you using that on a double-sided mid-texture? If so, then the scrolling is behaving like that because double-sided mid-textures don't wrap (which is useful for bridges that don't use 3D floors). It is still scrolling, but it is getting higher and higher out of view.

is it possible to have a repeating texture in hexen format on a double sided mid texture?

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

is it possible to have a repeating texture in hexen format on a double sided mid texture?

Based on what Empyre said, it sounds like you want to make the midtexture wrap. You can do this by giving the linedef a Line Identification action, which allows you to choose from several useful flags (3D midtexture, wrapping midtexture, and some other stuff I've forgotten). The 3D midtexture flag is the only one I've used -- I've found it's the simplest way to do blocking midtextures that raise later, for forcefields or whatever.

Is there any way to apply a scroll to a line in hexen format while also using the Line ID action? (thank you both for the responses by the way)

EDIT: For clarification, I wanted to have bubble textures endlessly scrolling up in a tank of water. Sadly I'm starting to think it isn't possible!

Edited by Doomkid

The "LineID" argument in scrolling action specials allows you to apply the scrolling effect to a different line than the line on which the action special is defined.

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Is there any way to apply a scroll to a line in hexen format while also using the Line ID action? (thank you both for the responses by the way)

EDIT: For clarification, I wanted to have bubble textures endlessly scrolling up in a tank of water. Sadly I'm starting to think it isn't possible!

I wonder if you can set a Line Identification on the line to wrap the midtexture, and then use a remote walk-over trigger to start it scrolling?

Another way to achieve this effect might be to create a thing that works like the Heretic teleport glitter -- have it just constantly spawn bubbles that float upward.

2 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

I wonder if you can set a Line Identification on the line to wrap the midtexture, and then use a remote walk-over trigger to start it scrolling?

Rather than a walkover trigger, it would be a static action (takes effect automatically, no need to trigger it), otherwise this is exactly what I meant - set Line ID to the line and apply scrolling to it via a script or another line. This sort of thing is pretty much the whole purpose of Line IDs existing.

Edited by scifista42

Just trying to get this to work right, I've selected the Line identification action and set the Line ID to 1, and set the "wrap middle texture" flag. How do I go about having another line enact the "scroll up" action on it? I'm probably missing something extremely basic here but I can't quite figure it out

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Just trying to get this to work right, I've selected the Line identification action and set the Line ID to 1, and set the "wrap middle texture" flag. How do I go about having another line enact the "scroll up" action on it? I'm probably missing something extremely basic here but I can't quite figure it out

Instead of Scroll_Texture_Up, use Scroll_Wall.

I'm still having a bit of trouble getting this to function but screenshots might make my issue a bit more clear:

J0fsNlw.png\

In the above screenshot, I've selected the actual linedef I want to edit. I set it's Line ID to 1 and gave it the "wrap midtexture" flag (16).

Now here's another line I'm using to try and apply the scrolling effect to the linedef in the first screenshot:

8Oiphc4.png

I've also set the Line ID to 1 (I'm guessing these work like tags? Shouldn't this effect be applied to all lines with Line ID 1?), selected the "scroll wall" action, specified a vertical speed of 2 and applied the "scroll middle" flag, but none of the stuff I've done here seems to actually be having any effect. How do I tell the editor "hey, apply these effects to the linedef I've specified" if not through Line IDs?

(sorry, I am a 100% noob at hexen format)

I have a feeling that the line is scrolling, but so slowly that you can't see it. Try 2.0 instead of 2 for the speed. Because of the way fixed point works in Doom, 2 would result in a very small fraction. If it scrolls down, try -2.0 to get it to go up.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, since you can only pass 8 bits in Hexen format, I am not sure how fixed point would even work.

Try scroll_texture_both instead. It also allows you to specify a line ID, and it doesn't use fixed point numbers. For this action special, a speed of 64 is equivalent to the standard scroll left from Doom format, so 2 would still be pretty slow.

Edited by Empyre

I've set the speed to 32 and used scroll texture both instead, but the line still has no effect unfortunately.

How do I actually set a Line's ID? I put '1' in the Line ID field of the line I want the effects applied to since I assume it works like tags, I've also set Line ID as '1' for the triggering line that is supposed to be effecting the line that I want the effects to be applied to, but it just isn't happening for a reason I cannot identify. Is this not how the lines are supposed to 'communicate' with eachother?

If it will help, it's map08 of this that's in question (hexen format). There's a line you walk over that, far as I can tell, aught to be triggering the scroll, but it just doesn't. This is all seeming like some dark voodoo black magic or something, lol

22.png

I tried making a test map, and it just doesn't work with scroll_texture_both. Scroll_wall works, but even at the maximum possible value of 255, it scrolls very slowly, but at least perceptibly, if you look really close. I tried using ACS to call scroll_wall and it works in Zandronum, but not in ZDaemon. Furthermore, if you have sky as the ceiling, it gets taller and taller as it scrolls, even if you set the flag to Clip Middle Texture as well as Wrap Middle Texture (total flags 16 + 8 = 24).

Here is the test map: ScrollBothTest.zip

Edited by Empyre

@Doomkid

In a map I'm slowly working on I have a translucent mid texture that scrolls in it, something like you are describing.

But in my case my texture is particles instead of bubbles.

I use Action type 102, and Sidedef part 2, and its speed is set to a very slow 16, which is intentional. I have it flagged as double sided and activation is repeatable.

The texture constantly scrolls upwards.(and is always visible)

I'm mapping in UDMF however. ~ If it makes a difference.

It's a single linedef, it's not part of a sector, and the texture is applied to both sides.

~ I have its activation set to repeatable but it doesn't need it as it's not tagged to anything heh.

It just always scroll loops as expected though.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

35 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I hate to be this guy but...

Or just use UDMF.

I think he wants the map to also work in ZDaemon. that is really the only reason I can think of to use Hexen format instead of UDMF any more.

Correct, I want this wad to be compatible with ZDaemon and Odamex which are extremely dated in terms of feature support compared to Zandronum and ZDoom. I appreciate you all taking the time to reply, I believe using an animated texture will be the only viable solution (and even then, ZDaemon only supports 32 frames of animation per texture! Bah!)

If every still-commonly-used ZDoom derivative port supported UDMF, you bet your sweet bippy I'd be using that shit!

@GoatLord thanks for the kind words!

I've tried a number of ideas, including self-referencing sectors and putting a translucent texture on the bottom instead of middle, but there is one that I haven't attempted yet:

Instead of 64x128, make it 64x256. Then as it scrolls up, use Line_SetTextureOffset to shift it back down periodically.

It seems that last experiment worked. It does give the illusion you're looking for, although there is a very slight jitter as the texture realigns itself. If you don't mind that, then it should be fine.

scrolltest.zip

If ZDaemon compatibility is needed, things may look bad.

Both wrappable mid textures and Line_SetTextureOffset are a lot more recent than ZDaemon forking off, and who knows what they backported...