Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Theidkid

What makes Doom (2016) 78.5g?

I am downloading the game right now, but the game's file size is 78.5 gigabytes! is there a reason for this? all I have seen online is because of the textures are very "Good", but they do not even look that great. Can anyone state the game's file size specifically?

The damn megatexture system. I wish they'd dump it and go back to a standard texture system. Supposedly there's a way to delete the MP and SnapMap files and keep only the SP stuff and the game still runs.

If only there was a way to have ultra textures be an optional download for those that can run them...

I guess the technology just isn't there yet.

As for removing the useless dead multiplayer and snapmap portions, you could try this guide out. It might be what you're looking for (you still have to download the 80gb in full first, though): http://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/152392786909065160/

16 hours ago, Nevander said:

The damn megatexture system. I wish they'd dump it and go back to a standard texture system. Supposedly there's a way to delete the MP and SnapMap files and keep only the SP stuff and the game still runs.

I'm guessing you're not familiar with how virtual textures actually work...

6 hours ago, Pavera said:

Remember the days when you could choose the size of your installation?

Why yes, I did always enjoy having to dig through a wallet full of hundreds of CD-ROMs every time I wanted to play a game...or every time I reached a new section of the game...or just for no apparent reason.

Lots of texture, while you are lock in a console, you still dowload ALL resolutions in PC, because some will play in 1080p, some others, in 4k, wich, takes a shit ton of space.

It would be nice though if modern games started offering minimal installs with the ability to choose components to install and an overall level of detail. For example, when installing DOOM it would be AWESOME if you could opt out of installing MP and SnapMap and just install the SP portion, and then opt out of the megatextures and just go for the standard yet still high-res (obviously) textures.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

opt out of the megatextures and just go for the standard yet still high-res (obviously) textures

This sounds bizarre. How is it supposed to work?

1 hour ago, Da Werecat said:

It doesn't. No matter what you do, if your texture resources exceed that of conventional VRAM for the active resources, you need to start using a form of virtual texturing. Nevander doesn't quite grasp that virtual texturing is not automatically mega texturing in the way RAGE worked. Doom4 has baked virtual texturing, that doesn't mean every pixel is uniquely painted (although it can allow some scenes to use it), but it does mean there's a shit-zillion textures.

In fact with the above in mind, having high resolution textures would directly require virtual texturing and large game sizes in practice, as increasing resolution has an exponential increase in storage requirements.

Edited by Edward850

16 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

Why yes, I did always enjoy having to dig through a wallet full of hundreds of CD-ROMs every time I wanted to play a game...or every time I reached a new section of the game...or just for no apparent reason.

Hmm, I really don't think I was getting at any of that. I just remember how some games back in the day let you choose different installation sizes depending on the size of your hard drive and machine spec. I think Fallout did this.

Guest MIND

Because its jam packed with awesomeness.

14 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

I have no idea. Some kind of voodoo magic that id could accomplish with modern engines.

12 hours ago, Pavera said:

Hmm, I really don't think I was getting at any of that. I just remember how some games back in the day let you choose different installation sizes depending on the size of your hard drive and machine spec. I think Fallout did this.

That means some of the data is left on the disc, which means the computer will make you use the disc all the time, and reduces performance due to disc loading.

It also requires you to have an optical drive in the first place, which some computers are having a notable absence of these days.

Well yeah, clearly. But this thread isn't about performance, it's about literal disk space usage ;)

Actually, I think some games sort of do this now, where they download essential files first so you can begin playing the game before it's completely finished installing. Not entirely the same thing, but similar. But at the end, you still end up with the full installation on your disk. :P

In a fantasy world, alternate, smaller downloads of games that have half-sized textures and cut corners and etc for people running weaker hardware would indeed be awesome, and many games become exactly that when ported to inferior hardware, but I can't think of a single time where a company released a cut down version of a game on it's native platform for people with low-end machines. It would be nice in theory, but it would be too much effort/work/cost for far to little in the way of added sales.

A download option that simply doesn't include SnapMap and Multiplayer is far more conceivable, but again I'm guessing it wasn't done because of the "why bother/this won't make us any extra money" factor.

4 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

A download option that simply doesn't include SnapMap and Multiplayer is far more conceivable, but again I'm guessing it wasn't done because of the "why bother/this won't make us any extra money" factor.

Not to mention, if you have a feature you think most people will skip out on, you typically don't put it into the game in the first place unless it's significantly low effort.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

78.5 grams

That's how much weight something like making DOOM's install customizable went into the development plan.

35 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

Not in the slightest, considering that's exactly what it means and the title should really be 78.5GB.

Yeah, that's why I think like this, I guess. Another thing is, I always think when k represents kilo, it should be in lower case, like kB instead of KB, but I don't know whether this makes sense though.

5 minutes ago, Nevander said:

That's how much weight something like making DOOM's install customizable went into the development plan.

Hmm... interesting.

I don't know why games don't use procedurally-generated resources more. You could probbably cut down a 5th of the filesize just by generating rock and liquid textures at runtime.

7 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

Problem is you can't just have that kind of feature in all kinds of games.

Wdym? It can't be that hard to have an alternate loading routine for some textures.

4 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

Is this true for Megatextures though ?

Oh, right. Perhaps, then, one could conserve textures by overlaying primitive textures w/ various combining methods?