Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Suicide attempt accidentally kills woman.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/interstate-66-boy-jumps-overpass-woman-killed-apparent-suicide-attempt/

In what was believed to be a suicide attempt by a 12 year old, he jumped off a bridge, landing on a woman's SUV and ends up killing her. The person killed was going to university to help troubled youths. In a way I guess she did.

Its not the only suicide attempt that ended up killing someone else. Others who have jumped into busy traffic to kill themselves have ended up causing drivers to avoid them and kill others. I would suggest "get more fences on overpass walkways" but people that want to do things will find ways to do them as its no accident.

Edited by geo

This isn't going to help the kid at all, for the rest of his life he's going to think back on this.

The suicide attempts that freak me out the most are the ones where people jump out of a skyscraper and the wind ends up pushing them back into the same building on a much lower floor's window. They went far enough to finally be settled on ending it all, they start falling and could be thinking of god knows what, only to be pulled back into life. I don't even know what you would think in a situation like that.

If you're going to kill yourself, do it cleanly. I've always preferred [REDACTED]

You have a body( and a brain that is hardwired to want to survive). That body has a mass which will create a mess if you jump infront of something that moves - so let the mass be only for you and not some other guy. Terrible pun. I have read apparently people survive jumping the golden gate bridge with half a broken body then they drown. Jumping head first they flip around ending up standing or lying in the air when hitting water. Not fun me-thinks, better to [REDACTED]. In the end - when you go for it you have to remember that the human physical body is incredibly resilient. At worst you end up stuck in a broken husk for twenty years, then allowed to go to the Nether Lands and get euthanized. Terrible pun again, sorry.

People also seem to forget that you can not live for others if you can not live for yourself.

51 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

The suicide attempts that freak me out the most are the ones where people jump out of a skyscraper and the wind ends up pushing them back into the same building on a much lower floor's window.

Wow, does that really happen?

There was a radiolab episode I listened to once where they discussed a study taken from survivors who attempted to commit suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. They were asked what their thoughts were while they were falling and 88% of them stated that they felt immediate regret. Thoughts about how their life really wasn't so bad, how they'd never see their children grow up, or how their friends and family will be mortified, etc.

1 hour ago, wheresthebeef said:

This isn't going to help the kid at all, for the rest of his life he's going to think back on this.

The suicide attempts that freak me out the most are the ones where people jump out of a skyscraper and the wind ends up pushing them back into the same building on a much lower floor's window. They went far enough to finally be settled on ending it all, they start falling and could be thinking of god knows what, only to be pulled back into life. I don't even know what you would think in a situation like that.

In 2005 there was a man who decided to attempt suicide by parking his SUV on train tracks. Then he changed his mind. A train derailment killed 11 and injured 117. He now has 11 life sentences without parole for killing them.

31 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Wow, does that really happen?

Supposedly yes. There was one in Chicago like 60+ years ago that happened where the person was pushed back through the glass and lived. The glass of a high rise is much thicker. Perhaps back then the glass was less thicker. I'm trying to find the story, but with people base jumping, suiciding and leaping off Sears Tower for Transformers 3 its tough to find it.

Meanwhile... my friend saw a jumper suicide maybe a decade ago. She was at a high rise party, hanging out on the balcony to smoke and a guy in a building across the street jumped and landed on a taxi below. There was no "I'm gonna jump you better come stop me" he just did it. Walked out, closed the door behind him, stood on the balcony and went head first. She still talks about how he was all in pieces.

This is actually a really upsetting story; a child (12) is suicidal, he wants to kill himself, he actually tries to kill himself, he survives (in an undoubtedly worse condition) but kills someone else by accident and now will have to live with that, the person his suicide killed wanted to help people struggling with suicidal thoughts and depression...

I almost don't believe it just on how fucked this entire thing is, just wow.

12 minutes ago, geo said:

Meanwhile... my friend saw a jumper suicide maybe a decade ago.

holy christ. i always wondered how horrifying it would have been to be on the streets of NYC during 9/11. it sounds more traumatic than i ever would have seriously considered.

17 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Awww man...why do people read depressing shit like this? Post pictures with cats instead.

Will it make the problem go away? Sorry, but you set yourself up for this question.

Were happy to have you here, Carrion.

I can only wish everyone else who is suffering can have that special somebody there for them to bring their pain down. Since I realistically know such pain never truly goes away.

2 minutes ago, EmotionalFelineinaMadstate said:

download.jpg.5a4e540790032685fd47638fa0b319c4.jpg

scared-kitten-shutterstock_191443322.jpg.173b0acbf5a5cc79def92c479b0b98a2.jpg

kitten-cuteness300.jpg.f4ec60bcd461d84a0317b1b8966815d2.jpg

I started a thread for kittens and generalized adorability.

5 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

I'd love to have some of that accidentally woman.

Two things you should never do

1: kill yourself

2: make posts like this

3 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

If you're going to kill yourself, do it cleanly. I've always preferred [REDACTED]

You have a body( and a brain that is hardwired to want to survive). That body has a mass which will create a mess if you jump infront of something that moves - so let the mass be only for you and not some other guy. Terrible pun. I have read apparently people survive jumping the golden gate bridge with half a broken body then they drown. Jumping head first they flip around ending up standing or lying in the air when hitting water. Not fun me-thinks, better to [REDACTED]. In the end - when you go for it you have to remember that the human physical body is incredibly resilient. At worst you end up stuck in a broken husk for twenty years, then allowed to go to the Nether Lands and get euthanized. Terrible pun again, sorry.

People also seem to forget that you can not live for others if you can not live for yourself.

Many people don't know that when you shoot yourself in the head you're still alive.  You're just paralyzed, and it's not necessarily the wound that kills you as much as the damage to your brain and it no longer able to send proper signals.  Not in every instance, of course.  Like if you use a shotgun and manage to take most of your brain in one blow.  But many people don't, and the kick will sometimes move the shotgun and you'll literally just shoot off your face.

It seems this happens relatively often. Remember when I was at college in China, a student jumped from 7th floor and killed a passer-by and lived. That's why I always look for cover when I was walking in the campus...

5 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

It seems this happens relatively often. Remember when I was at college in China, a student jumped from 7th floor and killed a passer-by and lived. That's why I always look for cover when I was walking in the campus...

If we're thinking about the same thing I either read about it or saw it on liveleak. Small world.

Just now, NeedHealth said:

If we're thinking about the same thing I either read about it or saw it on liveleak. Small world.

Are you sure...? I don't know. There has been a gossip for my Chinese college that at least 2 per year commit suicide by jumping off high buildings, such as 8th floor of the dorm, or something like that.

Just now, GarrettChan said:

Are you sure...? I don't know. There has been a gossip for my Chinese college that at least 2 per year commit suicide by jumping off high buildings, such as 8th floor of the dorm, or something like that.

Yeah. It was in a newspaper, though you say people jump every year. The one I am thinking of happened like eh, I honestly can't say the year but somehow it was pretty big stuff in the news for a very short while. I think the victim that died was a female though I am uncertain of the gender of the jumper.

The current global suicide pandemic is all very bleak, especially the horrible situations going on with youths in China (where it is so bad they actually have suicide nets in suicide "hotspots" like apartment complexes that have a high population of young factory workers and students).

It is a topic I'm genuinely upset about yet there's little I can do about it.

I'm just really confused by this accidentally woman comment. Through the immense flames of this dumpster, that comment is the most confusing. "Accidentally woman?"

I've heard that a lot of people who have survived suicide attempts immediately regret the decision.

No matter how tough life gets, suicide is never a good choice. Life is so ebb and flow and you never know what's around the next corner.

22 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

I can only wish everyone else who is suffering can have that special somebody there for them to bring their pain down. Since I realistically know such pain never truly goes away.

Not realistic or even practical. Depression, suffering, and/or suicidal thoughts occur anyway. Having a "special somebody" doesn't make those go away. It can actually make the depression, suffering, and/or suicidal thoughts worse because now not only do you feel like a burden to yourself but also a burden to whoever that "special somebody" is. Their attempts to alleviate the suffering can also be the very thing to push someone over the edge. I say this as someone who deals with one or more of these things on a daily basis and as someone who's tried to kill myself when I was 16 or 17.

Ultimately I recommend that people find a reason to live that doesn't involve being dependent on someone else. I'm not saying don't seek help if you feel like that. I'm saying don't be reliant/dependent on someone else to ease the pain of depression, suffering, and/or suicidal thoughts/ideation because it's not a guarantee that it'll alleviate those feelings. Live for yourself, first and foremost.

Granted, I also support "right to die" initiatives for those who do want to end their life after exhausting every other option - mainly for those who have chronic/life-long physical/mental/developmental illnesses - so no one else gets sucked into the body count like with what happened here.

I realize that's a pretty controversial view to hold and I'm expecting flak for it. However, try to look at it from the point of view of someone who deals with this kind of thing on a daily basis (and if you can't/won't then...I don't know what to tell you other than maybe not read beyond this). After a while you feel tired and numb from fighting to make things go right for you. You're just going through with the motions anyway. You're not living so much as you are existing. You want it all to stop. You want a break, a permanent break. However, no one ever tries to look at it through the lens of someone wanting to die. They don't put themselves in their shoes and I don't blame them, as frustrating as it can be. It's a scary place to be, for someone with everything to live for. For the person wanting to die, it's an everyday occurrence to feel like this. Other people claim that it's selfish for someone to want to commit suicide. The people I know who feel suicidal are the most selfless people I know. I posit a different view: the selfish ones are the ones who encourage the suicidal person to continue to suffer to appease their own feelings, to not face the realities that 1) death is inevitable and 2) some of us want an express lane to whatever waits for us beyond if there is anything.

I honestly think if people would take the time to try to practice a little more empathy for the suicidal person, it could be better dealt with. Again, speaking from experience when I was/am suicidal, I don't want solutions. I don't want a pep talk. I don't want some pie-in-the-sky false hope of what could be, be it a "special someone" or future job/educational/financial aspirations. When I was/am suicidal, I want someone to listen to me, let me let it out freely and without having to censor myself, even if that means I go into detail about how I want to die. Once I let it out and I'm not judged for it, I feel better. Sometimes a hug helps too.

Regardless, for someone this young to want to die is really heartbreaking. There's something deeply wrong in society when you have someone that young already wanting to end their own life. I'd expect to see these kinds of feelings from someone in their mid to late 20's. 12 is just too fucking young to be feeling like that. My heart goes out to him.

It's also shitty that the woman died considering what she was training for. We really do need more people to help those who do want help with suicidal feelings and this loss is just as heartbreaking. My heart goes out to her as well.

Edited by Nems