Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alekv

[Platformer on GZDoom engine] The Forestale [Available steam page]

this looks so cool :D level design in that screenshot bunch looks really well done

I can only think of one word to say witnessing this: goddamn.

Most definitely keeping an eye peeled for this!

Does this qualify as a total conversion? :D Looks really cool, first comparison my brain made was "jazz jackrabbit with the world geometry of abe's oddyssey". Must remind myself to check this out when released.

New gameplay video.
Subscribe to my channel to support the developer :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkE7MeokJkmBIYYX8XB_VNw
Added camera selection in the settings, only 3 mode
1 - Turns out the angle
2 - Ahead of player
3 - Plain smoothed camera
Added a new interface + animated status icons. Well, there died, showed a snout, burned, another muzzle, etc.
Added objects destroyed by the whirlwind [stone blocks, brick blocks, ice blocks and a sheaf of straw :D]
Added "complex mode"
Added life for complex mode
Added status bar for the vortex.
Fixed some minor bugs.

On 05.11.2017 at 2:08 AM, Uncle 80 said:

Does this qualify as a total conversion? :D Looks really cool, first comparison my brain made was "jazz jackrabbit with the world geometry of abe's oddyssey". Must remind myself to check this out when released.

It's a game, TheForestale.ipk3 :)
and that would not forget, subscribe to my channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkE7MeokJkmBIYYX8XB_VNw

This is so awesome and cool job. can you tell closer rellease date? Because i want to play this so bad :) also what about optimalization? Because gzdoom is not very well optimized for 3d models.

11 hours ago, Marlamir said:

This is so awesome and cool job. can you tell closer rellease date? Because i want to play this so bad :) also what about optimalization? Because gzdoom is not very well optimized for 3d models.

Thank you very much for your kind words :)

The game was supposed to be released already .. But I still have very little time for its revision.
I already bought "Steam direct" for the game and I think in a couple of months I'll create a page in the Steam with a accurate release date.

Regarding optimization .. On PC better than:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.70Ghz
ram 4gb

In theory, it will work with 60 and higher fps.

10 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I look forward to the release. What's the price tag likely to be?

I think about $ 5. But I'm not sure yet.

Just played on the laptop for 40 minutes. and recorded gameplay, played with cheats because I go through the game already in 1001 times and bored to pass again, sometimes it's easier to cheat for tests.
The video recorded different levels, acts, bugs .. Monsters in the stone level are badly killed for some reason, the boss of the stone level is not generally available =)

In general, who are interested in watching, i want hear your's opinions, etc .:

I have a smartphone with OpenGL 2.0
I also tried to play the game on the android delta touch, but alas still do not show 3d models = (

15 hours ago, Alekv said:

perhaps you could add idle animations (character breathing, scratching its head, arms swinging ect), i know its not important but it makes the character look less static.

ynPWggRl.png
I have made a Steam page for the game, now you can subscribe to news and updates on Steam, and also add the game to your wish list and join the community.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/817220/The_Forestale/

On 5/8/2018 at 12:18 AM, Ermi said:

perhaps you could add idle animations (character breathing, scratching its head, arms swinging ect), i know its not important but it makes the character look less static.

Animation was created when there was a version of GZDoom 1.8 and the addition of even more animations, caused strong brakes.
and now it's too late to add something

Edited by Alekv

12 hours ago, Alekv said:

and now it's too late to add something

To be honest as game developer, this is one of the worst thing you can say.

However congratulations getting this on steam, your game looks very good.

5 hours ago, Marlamir said:

as a programmer myself, i wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

it's never too late - lots of games have patches, and updates. for games much, much bigger than this.

16 hours ago, Liberation said:

Well done getting it on steam! Hope the game does well for you sir.

15 hours ago, Marlamir said:

10 hours ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

as a programmer myself, i wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

it's never too late - lots of games have patches, and updates. for games much, much bigger than this.

I am in a rather depressed state because of the time spent on
  the development of the game and the result of which I wanted to achieve, on this I think if the game does not have prospects, then nothing should be added.

I think I will be able to see the prospects a month after the release. The game either will be liked, or not .. cardinally there will not be anything to alter, but not large edits and bug fixes will of course still be.
At the moment, the main problem is the low FPS, which is why my hands are falling.

Maybe you could work with Graf Zahl on finding some better optimizations. Blade of Agony has a major FPS issue, but he's been helping to try and find solutions to help it, whether it's replacing things on the map or redoing portions of the map with different techniques.

game development is not easy - you should not be feeling depressed but rather proud that you've done so much. in my opinion, it's even harder than regular programming - and i am a programmer.

As Pure Hellspawn said, you should feel proud and not depressed after all what you done. you looking on your game by "unclear head" and in this moment i think is better to take a break and came back with fresh feel and think what you can improve. You will maybe see things that you ignored before.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:50 PM, Pure Hellspawn said:

game development is not easy - you should not be feeling depressed but rather proud that you've done so much. in my opinion, it's even harder than regular programming - and i am a programmer.

17 hours ago, Marlamir said:

As Pure Hellspawn said, you should feel proud and not depressed after all what you done. you looking on your game by "unclear head" and in this moment i think is better to take a break and came back with fresh feel and think what you can improve. You will maybe see things that you ignored before.

Thanks. 

It's just that sometimes the development alone is too heavy, and in steam are so many games. I'm afraid at the time of the release the game will last only a couple of hours on the first pages, it's all in the way upsetting.

Whatever it was, I was already rested from the development and did not make the game for about 2 months, worked as a 3d artist in another project.
Now I'm starting to edit bugs.
Not long ago I updated the collision with the help of one good programmer =)

And I have a question about the price ..
For example, for the countries of Russia and Ukraine, I know a comfortable price, which is not great, but not small.

But for Europe and the US and other countries I have no idea = (

Some advised to put $ 9 arguing that games that cost $ 5 are mostly too cheap games are often not playable or too old.

What do you think, is the price comfortable / good?

Between £5 and £10 pound sterling I would recommend, Steam has an under £7 section which you could aim for ie £6.99.

However I'm not sure how much your game is worth to you, time/resources/production cost. So it really up to you. 

47 minutes ago, Alekv said:

Thanks. 

It's just that sometimes the development alone is too heavy, and in steam are so many games. I'm afraid at the time of the release the game will last only a couple of hours on the first pages, it's all in the way upsetting.

Whatever it was, I was already rested from the development and did not make the game for about 2 months, worked as a 3d artist in another project.
Now I'm starting to edit bugs.
Not long ago I updated the collision with the help of one good programmer =)

And I have a question about the price ..
For example, for the countries of Russia and Ukraine, I know a comfortable price, which is not great, but not small.

But for Europe and the US and other countries I have no idea = (

Some advised to put $ 9 arguing that games that cost $ 5 are mostly too cheap games are often not playable or too old.

What do you think, is the price comfortable / good?

Development is often a grueling process - most of the projects I work on take many months, if not a year. This applies for things like movies, games, even megawads here. We have some projects that take over five years before they are released. 

My next recommendation is to focus on marketing your product. First of all, there's nothing more powerful than a really good review score. Maybe have someone test your game and provide an honest review - you will learn that a "Very Positive" or even "Positive" review will do a lot of the marketing for you. I would also investigate games such as Terraria, Subnautica, Stardew Valley, Binding of Isaac. Or for platformers, Yooka-Laylee and Trine. See what got them to be so well known - and realize that they did something right.

As for price; it depends on a variety of factors. How many hours will your game offer? What is the replayability factor? What are the reviews?  Optional content (such as secret areas or levels)? Based on what I see here, so far I'd recommend maybe $7.99 or $7.49 for starters. And keep in mind you can put the game on sale at a later time.

Also, as time passes by, you'll need to decrease the price for the game. I might pay $10 for a game released now, but a few years later I might only be willing to pay half that. For instance, DOOM (2016) was $59.99 at launch in 2016. But now, it's only $29.99.

Here in the US we have both an under $5 and an under $10 section, by the way. 

Edited by Pure Hellspawn