Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MegaZzZeux

"You are your own worst critic."

(This seems like the right spot to post something like this)

Anyone else have a hard time finishing levels because they're never "Good enough"? I've still been mapping on and off for 10 years since my last release...and for some reason I can never make a level I feel is good enough to finish.

16 minutes ago, MegaZzZeux said:

(This seems like the right spot to post something like this)

Anyone else have a hard time finishing levels because they're never "Good enough"? I've still been mapping on and off for 10 years since my last release...and for some reason I can never make a level I feel is good enough to finish.

Yea I feel that way too, especially after I play super high quality maps like KDiZD or InnocenceX2 maps. However, I'm also aware that like any endevour, those guys got that good by practice. I only have 3 releases to my name but when I compare each of them, I see a definite improvement between each of them so I know that the stuff I make tomorrow will be much better than the stuff I made before and so on. So finish those maps and accept that you will NEVER be satisfied by them but you will get better with each release. You can count on that.

Just now, Niya said:

Yea I feel that way too, especially after I play super high quality maps like KDiZD or InnocenceX2 maps. However, I'm also aware that like any endevour, those guys got that good by practice. I only have 3 releases to my name but when I compare each of them, I see a definite improvement so I know that the stuff I make tomorrow will be much better than the stuff I made before and so on. So finish those maps and accept that you will NEVER be satisfied by them but you will get better with each release. You can count on that.

Love those words of wisdom. I mean looking at my 2007 release it was 100x better than my stuff from 2003...but then I just kinda gave up (as the file name of my 2007 map implied, though it was meant to be a joke... and the next one was going to be a sequel, but it never came.)

22 minutes ago, MegaZzZeux said:

Love those words of wisdom. I mean looking at my 2007 release it was 100x better than my stuff from 2003...but then I just kinda gave up (as the file name of my 2007 map implied, though it was meant to be a joke... and the next one was going to be a sequel, but it never came.)

I too left the community, about 11 years ago. Growing up, real life stuff etc. I recently came back around. Even started working on another map. Before I left I was working on a 4th map that I never completed. By some miracle I found it lurking on my HD, even after 11 years and I was looking at it and was amazed at how far I came. If I had never left, I would have been really good by now. The quality I saw in that unfinished map complete superseded any thing I made before. I was toying with the idea of completing it but after 11 years of not mapping, I'm no where near the level I was when I was making it. I wouldn't do it justice in my current state of rust. I could hardly even believe I created that, especially when I look at my earlier works. So yea just keep at it and try not to be too harsh on yourself. Mapping is one of those things that you will naturally get better at over time.

Also, I would recommend playing a lot of high quality maps to get ideas during the development of your map. I find this tends to help tremendously.

Edited by Niya

27 minutes ago, Niya said:

I too left the community, about 11 years ago. Growing up, real life stuff etc. I recently came back around. Even started working on another map. Before I left I was working on a 4th map that I never completed. By some miracle I found it lurking on my HD, even after 11 years and I was looking at it and was amazed at how far I came. If I had never left, I would have been really good by now. The quality I saw in that unfinished map complete superseded any thing I made before. I was toying with the idea of completing it but after 11 years of not mapping, I'm no where near the level I was when I was making it. I wouldn't do it justice in my current state of rust. I could hardly even believe I created that, especially when I look at my earlier works. So yea just keep at it and try not to be too harsh on yourself. Mapping is one of those things that you will naturally get better at over time.

Also, I would recommend playing a lot of high quality maps to get ideas during the development of your map. I find this tends to help tremendously.

Well welcome back after 11 years, and I am definitely going to finish SOMETHING this time around (even if it is another 3 minute start to finish map)

I actually love my work even after seeing its flaws and know I can do better this time around. I don't have the time nor Will to create chapter 2 of my Wad but have ideas to create a more engaging experience than the last.

I almost gave up on one map. It required so much time for a sub par design and looks but forced myself to complete it to a satisfactory level.

I always advise people to make smaller maps with a concept or gimmick they're excited about to see the project from start to finish filled with nothing but what you intended.

2 hours ago, Chezza said:

I always advise people to make smaller maps with a concept or gimmick they're excited about to see the project from start to finish filled with nothing but what you intended.

Top advice, I actually made a load of 1024 maps testing out different styles and to see where I wanted to go next, I would highly recommend this practise to anyone, as its good fun and also lets you play about with different themes etc. Also if your happy with them or think others would like a bash, then release them. I released mine and the feedback gathered was just as useful as the entire project.

4 hours ago, MegaZzZeux said:

Definitely like the small level idea, but I'm always focused on making huge maps...might be the problem.

That's a problem that I run into, too.

I start out with an idea and then keep adding to it because I say to myself that what people want are larger, more detailed maps, when that's not necessarily the case. There are definitely people that like huge, sprawling levels, but there are also people (and not just deathmatch people) that like more compact, maps.

Well, I mostly criticise myself, because I know that I could do things better and more polished. Of course people say that I'm getting better, but they never saw my fustrations and errors or even tears behind my maps. 

I didn't think my eagle 7 map was really good enough to add to the session but I did anyway and no one hated it so I that's something I guess :) Right now I'm making a new version of it that is basically what I wanted to do with it originally but didn't have the time to do due to obviously only having a few hours to work on it. Although like you I always have ideas for big maps so it might take awhile... trying to find the time to work on multiple maps also doesn't help lol. I added a 3d bridge to my GZDoom map I am also working on yesterday but other than that it is in basically the same state it was in last week, I have quite a bit to go on that map...

Well started a new map yesterday... (and gave up on it already...) but I actually started a sequel to my 2007 map earlier today, and so far it's not horrible. (gonna make this one more roomy and not as much obstructing detail...hopefully)

I need a few years after the release to pass in order for me to start enjoying the map. At that point I stop looking for flaws in every corner and can just have fun playing.