Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gatewatcher

My Video Card Died :(

Well, I don't know if it's the entire card. I took a look at it and it's not fried or anything. None the less, it still doesn't work. So I'm stuck with my shitty machine for now. I'm looking forward to fighting with gateway as to why it shouldn't take five weeks to replace a video card, because they like to take their sweet ass time when it comes to replacing parts (IE the three weeks it took them to replace my old mobo). At least it broke with a month left of warranty.

Also, it's DooMBoy's fault. He's a jinx.

gatewatcher said:

I'm looking forward to fighting with gateway as to why it shouldn't take five weeks to replace a video card, because they like to take their sweet ass time when it comes to replacing parts

I know where you're coming from. It took them a week just to look at my machine.

I once broke a video card by pushing the monitor plug in too hard. Fortunately, that computer was from an independant local shop. They replaced the card while I waited, the card was under warranty and the labor was free!

IMJack said:

I once broke a video card by pushing the monitor plug in too hard. Fortunately, that computer was from an independant local shop. They replaced the card while I waited, the card was under warranty and the labor was free!

Well, that's basicaly my situation. The monitor won't turn on, but it works on other machines. I don't think it's the entire card, rather just the little piece that connects the card to the monitor cable. Since the machine is still under waranty, the labor and new card will be free :) I don't think I'll be able to sit in the lobby and wait for them to fix it, more likely a motel.

RailGunner said:

ADD: However, if you just bended the pins by accident you can fix them.

No, you can't. That voids the warranty, and if it doesn't fix the problem you're screwed. See, I rather get another Radeon 32 meg for free, instead of some "cheap card" at ebgames.

RailGunner said:

16mb card for $100

$50 if im wrong.

Heh. Warranty r0x0rs.

16? That is it?

/me pats his 128 mb GeForce 4 Ti 4600

RailGunner said:

Lucky bastard. Either you got that on your birthday or you had job money for it. Maybe you're spoiled.

Damn you rule.

Uh my dad had it installed when we got this computer.

Right now I'm in a position where I can just barely afford to buy myself a new Radeon 9700, roughly $450. But, by the time I start putting my new computer together cash might be tight.

RailGunner said:

Heh. Now i see how you got it.

Not like you can get a $400 card in a short time.

Bah, when the NV30 comes out I'm ditching this card and getting one better than this card.

bigbadgangsta said:

Bah, when the NV30 comes out I'm ditching this card and getting one better than this card.

Why? Game technology won't take advantage of your current card for at least another year, maybe two. Why not wait, then get the card that replaces the nv30? Then again, it doesn't really matter ;)

gatewatcher said:

Why? Game technology won't take advantage of your current card for at least another year, maybe two. Why not wait, then get the card that replaces the nv30? Then again, it doesn't really matter ;)

Bah, just talked to my dad he said "Hah, I doubt it". Bah, fuck it, my card is fine.

bigbadgangsta said:

Bah, just talked to my dad he said "Hah, I doubt it". Bah, fuck it, my card is fine.

All parents dont spoil their kids.

Just make enough money for it and you'll get the card. But hey, your card is good enough.

gatewatcher said:
....it's DooMBoy's fault. He's a jinx.

Why thank you, gatewatcher. Now we're in the same boat. You have a broke video card and I have a (still) broke sound card. Hooray for bad luck. :)

Reminds me of when I pushed a power cable into the floppy drive upside down. The damn shit just will not freaking work, I tried bending the pins back and forth, still nothing, it's pissing me off because I really need to make a DOS boot disk. I wrote about this in the computer problems thread which is in hell.

Well, obviously, the cable is completely fried now. If this teaches you anything, it's don't put power cables and cords where they don't belong.

I fried a video card before. It was a Geforce 2 MX400. I remember my comp freezing up and then not starting back up. I opened it up and took a gander at the video card. The GPU fan was locked up and wouldn't turn (cheap chinese components), probably been like that long before the card burned out. The card must've been getting so hot that over time it started to melt a plastic cover on my poor modem. Damn thing cost $100 too :(

Woolie Wool said:

How old are you? If you are over 18, who do you live with?

What's so shocking? My parents bought me a Geforce 4 Ti 4400 or something which cost $400 aswell. Only problem is the damn fucking shit didn't fit in the pc case, and I said this way too much, I just will never let it go I guess.

RailGunner said:

Lucky bastard. Either you got that on your birthday or you had job money for it. Maybe you're spoiled.

Damn you rule.

i got my Gforce4 4600 a couple months ago with my own cash. And i putting a radeon 9700 in my new p4, which is currently under construction. I spend money on three things; computers, rent, current game consoles. it's a good life

when the p4 is finished and i'll have 2 Doom3 capable machines. yay!

RailGunner said:

BBG is 16.

Oh. Well if he was 21 and had that GeForce4 and lived with his parents, I would've pointed out how idiotic his spending habits were. You spoiled my ego trip! :P

Woolie Wool said:

Oh. Well if he was 21 and had that GeForce4 and lived with his parents, I would've pointed out how idiotic his spending habits were. You spoiled my ego trip! :P

Uh, ok.

DooMBoy, A CURSE ON YOU! ;)