Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
franckFRAG

Tangerine Nightmare [idgames link]

I could go for some orange juice right now.

2 hours ago, geo said:

I could go for some orange juice right now.

You have no idea how ironic that actually is xD (There is a map that is legit called "orange juice") 

Looks great! We're playing the last French wad in the DWMC this month, maybe this will go in next month. 

Excellent! A very small nitpick: the lava animation still contains the ugly black pixels present in the original one. Check out LAVA2 and LAVA4 specifically.

Some issues:

https://i.imgur.com/5vxxajb.png - this is JCD's map, bad flat on the switch?

https://i.imgur.com/ssp3i4P.png - is this French spelling or something? :P

https://i.imgur.com/xTLD5rW.png - tutti-frutti in ZDaemon, also saw it in some other places I think.

Anyway, this seemed really cool in multiplayer! Very fresh feeling everywhere, sexy cohesive theme with attractive colors and lots of cool sprite replacements, atmospheric music. I especially enjoyed the mysterious mood of Roofi's map with these messages and tons of secrets - great stuff! But the final fight felt a bit too long, I got tired of holding the fire button heh. Anyway, definitely going to play through the whole thing again in single player and try to solve the spider mystery. Great job guys, you really did something new here (but still totally Doomy!).

It seems as though the music in map 10 isn't the correct one. We are aware of this and it will be adressed. This is really just a mapinfo goof haha. The music plays perfectly fine in prboom or other ports that don't support mapinfo but in zdoom/gzdoom/etc... the music that play is d_evil (the wolfenstein theme). 

That is because wilou's map was originaly intended for the 31 slot and when we made the change, we renamed the music to the correct one (map 10, d_dead) but completely forgot to change the mapinfo... 

Anyhow, thanks for the comments guys :) 

For now, a quick command "cheat" should do the trick "changemus d_dead" (I believe) 

Map04: is sector 191 supposed to be merged with 113? Looks like at some point the editor unmerged them.

Ooooh yeah babe

tangerine-dream-1.jpg.8e35bbbe8d942383c85d77112cae957c.jpg

Played this thingie casually during several sessions accompanied by the right mood that'd allow me to look beyond personal preferences / try and appreciate things outside of my tunnel vision (and even that's fairly blurred nowadays, so I'm not sure about anything anymore these days), and in the end I can say that this was actually a time well spent. Let me start with that it's always good to see another community-based project from you French folks, in all of its variety, and the overall style this particular example is sporting, while somewhat pretentious, is still largely something I have a soft spot for ever since Vanguard and its surprisingly refreshing orange take on an otherwise more or less ordinary hellish aesthetics, carried away by Valiant in a somewhat undesirable (for me) direction. It's nice to see something waving that same flag. So in the end, this offering is doing its job well enough I suppose, featuring steady difficulty curve, a variety of gameplay approaches where there's something for everyone to enjoy, and the overall high level of polish and consistency, I can't think of any map that wouldn't have been up to par quality-wise, and that's always great. Props to the project leader, too, among other things, a damn fine job maintaining this said level.

And then - the devil is in the details, or so they say...

- 05 is a nice map, and pretty much what I expected from this author, a well-staged adventure of [mostly] mildly engaging action and clearly pronounced moments of carnage. That demon horde/arachs ambush felt somewhat harsh, but overall this was an enjoyable journey.

- JCD has done a really good work on his submission, the atmosphere, the sense of scale when the map feels bigger than it really is, the action - I can't see any real drawbacks in there, the fact that I camped the crap out of the big showdown doesn't mar my opinion, heh; however, the ending actually felt ludicrously underwhelming with all that space and totally powerless opposition that can hardly do anything noteworthy other than just helplessly dying. A bigger crowd or at least a well-stationed mastermind instead of a cybie boy would't hurt I believe.

- I admit that 07 took some time for me to adjust to, but in the end I appreciated it, up to the point of actually thinking that among all the Roofi maps I've seen to date this ought to be his best piece of work. It may have its issues, but after experiencing this map as a whole I can only compliment the author for making something as atmospheric, stylish and exceptionally varied in terms of action as this, there's literally everything in this map, from nonlinearity and lots of optional exploration for those accustomed to that sort of thing (all those writings combined with their surroundings gave me that Phobia: The Age vibe, and I'm always grateful for that) to mass murderfests of varying intensity. Good work, Spyro.

- ...and when the initial disdain caused by yet another boss shooter managed to weaken its grip - I was actually able to see that 08 was a fun enough take on HR2 m29-style mountain climb, compact but also epic enough to be a suitable conclusion. Not really a remarkable map per se, but it works nevertheless.

- and yes, of course Wilou, and this time, dare I say, the unprecedented brutality of his, as 10, while being rather slow initially, quickly escalates into a series of harsh and imposing ordeals clearly not intended for the faint of heart. What can I say, cool stuff, you surely know how to keep people awake and on the edge of their seats, W.

So this is it, here's hoping that I'll live to see the necromantic green after all.

If only I could make decent maps. Personally, I also live in France, so it would be awesome if I could one day work with you fine gentlemen. :D

Keep up the good work!

I've finished Map01 and Map05, and the maps are really nice, ignoring the confusion caused by custom sprites to me. I am thinking that I'll do runs for this when the final release comes out.