Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_Mud

Void And Rainbow

I'm going to test this right now, because purple makes my heart beat faster. Nice screenshots ;)

1 minute ago, Myst.Haruko said:

I'm going to test this right now, because purple makes my heart beat faster. Nice screenshots ;)

I hasten to upset you: there is not only one violet color (although I really like it myself)

Hey, I like other colours too. I tested it quickly already. Don't worry that much ;)

This is really cool. The one problem I had was that the weapons didn't automatically switch when I ran out of ammo. I was playing in GZDoom 2.4 though, so maybe it relies on some newer feature? Otherwise, really nice map; I was expecting a Ribbiks-type map from the screenshots, but this is like nothing I have ever played.

5 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

This is really cool. The one problem I had was that the weapons didn't automatically switch when I ran out of ammo. I was playing in GZDoom 2.4 though, so maybe it relies on some newer feature? Otherwise, really nice map; I was expecting a Ribbiks-type map from the screenshots, but this is like nothing I have ever played.

Automatic switching had to be removed due to some problems (which for sure can only be said by TheSkyBug).

Loved the map both in terms of mapping, style and gameplay (despite falling from platforms in the end lots of times like a complete noob :D). Well done!

Very beautiful aesthetic, but please can we have an option to slow down the colour-cycling, this has to be the first time a game has given me a headache and made my eyes water!

Apparently all the same it was worth making more frames in the animation of rainbow textures, but this is somehow some other time.

Really enjoyable to play and look at. The part with the spider boss had a really sudden raise in difficulty though, maybe remove some afrits if you aren't playing on UV. 

I did a speedrun on it

Still aiming for the sub-8 tho

********** SPOILER ALERT **********

Edited by DanEvilEye : Ammendment

Could we get a txt file or /idgames submission, for archiving's sake, please?

21 hours ago, Kroc said:

Could we get a txt file or /idgames submission, for archiving's sake, please?

Would wad be added to idgames? After all, there's music in wad, which is not mine.

Nice work, I like the idea and also those mini-octabrains suit the mood of the mod very well. :)

Also it's not the default Doom we all stick to - you need to think sometimes a little. And it's good too.

I remember playing beta downloaded from the Russian DoomPower forums, now I'll replay this brilliant pk3 again!

PS This kind of mods I call "Doom Upgraded" - there's still a Doom vibe while the gameplay, monsters and weapons somewhat altered. I'd like to see more mods like this.

PPS Спасибо за классный мод :)

I just played this yesterday. I'm not sure if this is one of your first WAD's, but if it is I gotta say it's amazing for one of your first efforts (I just don't remember seeing any other mods by you, don't mean to upset you if this isn't true). The recent color update looks a ton better than the original colors (which I saw from Icarus's video). The weapons fit, are fun to use, sound AMAZING and are functional too. The visuals are amazing, too! Overall, it was a really nice mod, but I also have some criticism.

First, I think the action clashes with the playstyle a lot. The encounters are fast, action pumped and generally throw a fair bit of enemies at you, while platforming is generally a slow process of thinking your next step carefully and executing it well (at least, that's how I see it). As such, I don't think an action packed map fits with the platforming style, especially when falling is an instant-kill. I would suggest making falling teleport you and tax your hp rather than straight up kill you. Nothing fells worse than fighting an action packed sequence (or a badass boss) and dying to an insta-kill pit. NOTHING!

Second, most of the encounters made sense from the gameplay sense. They were either good or functional. However...the last 2 areas were complete arse, at least in my opinion (the rocket launcher area and the final boss). The rocket launcher fights aren't necessarely as much hard as they are annoying and frustrating to deal with. I died multiple times to impatience. The flying barons don't have enough mass, and get flung around if you shoot the shotty at them, which is irritating. The lack of any cohesive architecture also makes most fights into this weird stalemate position where the monsters can't really hit you, but you also can't really hit them and you have to wait for them to move so you can shoot them or just go after them and risk dying a stupid death. The last 2 baron fights just feel awkward as hell from a gameplay perspective. The arachno boss suffers from this as well. Just peek at it, shoot, reload shotgun, peek, shoot etc. If I made the final section I'd have the whole area open up for the fights so you could do some crazy high-octane dodging rather than this drab stop-and-pop gameplay.

The final boss encounter isn't much better, although for entirely different reasons. The boss has too much RNG packed into it. The teleport-spam is RNG in both destination and how much it takes for it to happen, the pain-chance is RNG, the spin attack probably won't hit you but if it does it will do 50 damage and probably fling you to your death, the ammo spawns are RNG, the green potions are USELESS and only serve to confuse you (is that an ammo/health? no, just another shitty green potion). The meshing of health/ammo punishes you for having full hp because you still gotta pick up the ammo and waste the hp, and then when you're low hp it's not there anymore. Making the boss immune to all other weapons is stupid. The stupid rain attack is worthless unless it lands on an ammo/health which makes it INFURIATING. It's probably the worst designed area of the entire game (sure the baron/arachno boss area is boring and terribly designed, but at least it won't frustrate you to the high heavens. However, the worst thing about this fight is how HARD it is compared to everything else. I blazed through the map only dying to silly mistakes and rushing to then put all my effort into defeating this thing, and it still took me like 20 tries. Either make an easy map, a hard map, anything inbetween or a scaling difficulty map. Don't make a map that's 95% snooze-easy and 5% the bastard child of fake-difficulty and real difficulty scaled up to 11.

EDIT:I just finished watching Icarus's video. I have NO idea why you changed the boss-fight. The projectiles of the boss were much easier to see in color (now they're gray for some reason), and the ammo and health were segregated instead of being meshed together (there also seemed to be more health). It seems a lot better in his video, I think it should be reverted to that state. Probably a lot more fun that way.

Invisible walls. Invisible walls are lazy in pretty much any mod/game I see them, but I mostly brush it off as "eh" and move along. Here, making a jump to a location only to realize there's an invisible wall in the way makes you DEAD! Not only does it kill you, but it's such a cheap and infuriating death. In a map with no checkpoints, dying to this midway feels like a total slap in the face, almost like a plea for the player to quit and never look back.

Minor nitpick:This might be just me, but I feel like in a map where you jump around in such a crazy location, low-grav, trippy setting and there's the imminent danger of falling and dying, this wad does a really poor job of incentivizing exploration. The gameplay is incredibly linear and it has no secrets or easter eggs (at least none listed in the map, and trying to find any only resulted in the aforementioned invisible walls death). There's nothing wrong with a linear, secret-less map, but this style feels like it promotes exploration and dicking around while the actual map says "nope" every time you try it. A bit of stylistic clash, if you ask me.

Overall, I still enjoyed it, amazing map and great stuff. It might look like I'm criticizing more than praising, but ultimately that's what I'm good at, and that's what I'll do. Don't let it discourage you though, as I said before, I still had a great time, and you got a lot of things right with this. Keep at it! :D

Edited by killer2 : Updated boss criticism

2 hours ago, killer2 said:

I just finished watching Icarus's video. I have NO idea why you changed the boss-fight. The projectiles of the boss were much easier to see in color (now they're gray for some reason), and the ammo and health were segregated instead of being meshed together (there also seemed to be more health). It seems a lot better in his video, I think it should be reverted to that state. Probably a lot more fun that way.

Fireballs are not gray. Should not be, at least. Why then some of them are gray, while I'm fine. And in general, for some people, for some reason, the lighting does not work as it should. I do not know why. GZDoom problems.

Screenshot_Doom_20180114_022411.png

I have a couple of minor bugs to report.  There are some decorations resembling a globe on a short pillar.  In the screenshots, these are appear to be have the same rainbow effect as the textures and other decorations, but when I play this mod with the latest version of GZDoom, the globes and their pillars are white.  Also when I start playing, I get a lot of error messages reading "portal on floor/ceiling of sector xxxx is sloped and will be disabled", though the mod still seems to be fully playable.

I would like to say while I'm here that this mod has an amazing dream-like feel to it which I love.  This is a really masterfully crafted piece of work.