Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

UnNecessary aka UnAligned 2 (Done for real!)

2 hours ago, Ryath said:

Are you Jayextee

Can confirm, am Jayextee.

ALL MY YES RIGHT HERE. Can't wait to see what gimmicky concepts you come up with using the Doom 2 bestiary! :D

Wow, what a nice response right from the start, though I've always heard you're not supposed to encourage bad behavior...

Anyhow, first map is ready: "A Journey of 32 Maps... (Begins With a Single Sector)" There is technically a second sector in this map, but the only purpose it serves is to make the engine stop screaming in confusion.

EDIT: Oh, I should also mention that yes the plan is still zero texture alignment in this WAD -- with the one exception being this first map, in order to get some of the "ceilings" to work.

Edited by Ryath

UnAligned was really great. I still need to play through a bunch of it.

Best of luck with this! One map a day has to be a creative challenge. Having tried it before, I can say it's pretty draining, although I was hamstringing myself with a set theme, so be sure to give yourself as much freedom as possible.

Day 3 and we're a map behind already. Knockin' it out of the park there, Ryath.

The weekend should hopefully give me a chance to catch up, though. In the meantime, here's Map02: Futurebase 5000, featuring the patented Key Detectotron. This link also includes a few changes to Map01; I moved the second sector to the secret area, since people were missing it. So now the map is a single sector... and a secret sector.

On 11/1/2017 at 9:00 PM, bioshockfan90 said:

note for all future links- change "dl=0" to "dl=1" for easier downloading, just FYI. :)

Didn't realize I could do that. Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Ryath

18 minutes ago, anotak said:

the dilemma: do i play these as they come out or do i binge em all at the end?

This is a very important and valid question that I do not know the answer to.

i think maybe i'm gonna play it in terms of the "episodes" where the sky texture changes

On 11/3/2017 at 4:01 PM, anotak said:

i think maybe i'm gonna play it in terms of the "episodes" where the sky texture changes

I approve of this method. These maps are pretty short and might feel a little lonely on their own, but why wait until the very end to play them when you can play them in chunks?

Anyhow, Map03 is ready! It's called Electric Boxaloo, since it began as a spiritual sequel to the Absolutely Killed map Boxed In (even if it kind of turned into something else).

etrn32.png.f9bb020760a7bc2fc73a05136a4e692c.png

Alright, kiddos! We're back on track, with two maps for ya today! The new ones are in slots 03 and 04, since I felt like Electric Boxaloo worked better as Map05 than it did as 03.

etrn00.png.d1d63c132db66561af66b4faa33c61eb.png

Here's a look of Map03, The Silver Bullet, which may go down as one of my more annoying maps. But would this be a Ryath WAD without at least one map that made players curse my name?

etrn14.png.bb64c61a96f8df06bc9a5f8fe8b18396.png

And here's Map04, Chromedome. I went full 1995 and made an entire map out of the delightfully terrible SILVER textures. Come to think of it, maybe both of these maps will have you cursing at me...

Edited by Ryath

Thanks for the videos, mArt... mArt1An... uh, Martie. Always helpful to see how players react to the maps in real time. Keep them coming!

6 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

From the screenshot MAP04 looks like wormhole from tnt

I feel like a lot of these maps vaguely resemble TNT stuff, but it's probably just the textures. I've been doing UDoom maps so long, I'm having a lot of fun messing around with what Doom 2 has to offer. Loving these dark metal and green tech textures especially.

Welp, here's a frustrating disaster going on as we speak...

ohno.png.7ccd043399e0a954f43618bf0cc819f9.png

This has never happened to me before. Anyone know if there's a way to not lose everything since the last save? If not, I think the majority of today's map is in the garbage.

15 minutes ago, Ryath said:

Welp, here's a frustrating disaster going on as we speak...

ohno.png.7ccd043399e0a954f43618bf0cc819f9.png

This has never happened to me before. Anyone know if there's a way to not lose everything since the last save? If not, I think the majority of today's map is in the garbage.

try this

also, as a bit of self promotion, my db2 fork, DBX, tries to save another backup version when it crashes too. as well as me fixing a lot of the crashes.

Fun short maps. Some nice puzzling. Two things I found.

MAP03 - If you take the lift up for the third shot before you open the barrier at the top of the lift, you're stuck. No way to lower the lift from the top.

MAP04 - The exits from the round rooms are 64 units high, but doors open to 4 units below the ceiling, so the Hell Knights can't leave those rooms. Not sure if that was intended or if it matters much. It just lets you shoot them at distance after you've cleaned up the rest.

On 11/6/2017 at 5:54 PM, anotak said:

try this

also, as a bit of self promotion, my db2 fork, DBX, tries to save another backup version when it crashes too. as well as me fixing a lot of the crashes.

Thanks, anotak! The bad news is that this didn't work. The good news is that it hadn't been as long since my last save as I thought, and now with just a little delay, Map06 is ready!

8 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

MAP03 - If you take the lift up for the third shot before you open the barrier at the top of the lift, you're stuck. No way to lower the lift from the top.

MAP04 - The exits from the round rooms are 64 units high, but doors open to 4 units below the ceiling, so the Hell Knights can't leave those rooms. Not sure if that was intended or if it matters much. It just lets you shoot them at distance after you've cleaned up the rest.

Fixed that lift issue in 03 -- thanks! The thing in 04 I've already seen in action and chose not to care about because I am bad and lazy.

I'm really enjoying the maps you've put out so far. Although while map06 is an interesting little puzzle map, it kinda feels a bit empty without the monsters and such. If that's intended, then I don't blame you for that. Looking forward to the rest of the maps you post here.

Hey hey hey! Another shitty map for y'all today! Skipped to slot 09 -- The Crushlosseum. Right now 07 and 08 are placeholder garbage; so warp to those maps at your own risk.

On 11/7/2017 at 8:08 PM, Breezeep said:

I'm really enjoying the maps you've put out so far. Although while map06 is an interesting little puzzle map, it kinda feels a bit empty without the monsters and such. If that's intended, then I don't blame you for that. Looking forward to the rest of the maps you post here.

It was intended to be a monsterless map, but I think that's a fair criticism. I experimented with putting a few monsters in, so give it another try when you have a chance!

Edited by Ryath

Heyo! Map11 is complete, and the techbase section of the WAD along with it! Sadly, this map sucks pretty hard. BUT -- think of all the exciting city maps coming up!

(PS: Somebody else post in here before I get banned for multiposting.)