Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnnyTheWolf

No Hitscan Doom?

Are there mods out there that replace hitscan enemies and weapons with projectiles? I know some that do (e.g. Contra Doom, D4D/D4T, MetaDoom, etc.), but what I am looking for is mods that stick to vanilla gameplay do not alter the game in any way outside of getting rid of hitscan attacks.

Thanks in advance!

It doesn't seem like this would be too difficult to do yourself. Inherit the actors and replace their attacks with A_CustomMissile... or something like that. Give it a high speed and/or spread what not.

Someone else could chime in about details as I have not tried this or even care to. Zdoom wiki is your friend in situations like this. I have been able to sometimes ""dodge" attack from zombies in Brutal Doom....But I am unsure of whether or not they are still hitscanners.

I wonder if all the people who want to replace hitscans with projectiles have similar or different visions on how fast and how visible should those projectiles be.

8 hours ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

It doesn't seem like this would be too difficult to do yourself. Inherit the actors and replace their attacks with A_CustomMissile... or something like that. Give it a high speed and/or spread what not.

Someone else could chime in about details as I have not tried this or even care to. Zdoom wiki is your friend in situations like this. I have been able to sometimes ""dodge" attack from zombies in Brutal Doom....But I am unsure of whether or not they are still hitscanners.

if you can 'dodge' it in Doom, then its not a hitscan

^ Under standard Doom behavior, yes. It's not necessarily the case in ZDoom mods, as the port's advanced features allow to fire hitscans into arbitrary directions instead of automatically aiming them towards the target's current position (with random imprecision). But if I remember correctly, the bullets in BD can be seen flying forward, therefore they can't be hitscans.

Edited by scifista42

That would make all the zombie infighting harder to cause, would it not?

On 02/11/2017 at 3:24 PM, Glaice said:

That would make all the zombie infighting harder to cause, would it not?

I already do not really care for that, so I do not see it as an issue. I mean, they are supposed to be braindead cannon fodder; why should they even care about getting hit by a fellow Possessed? Anyway, I suppose I could make that mod myself, using Contra Doom as a reference, but I wanted to know if what I am looking for already exists first.