Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Legendary FPS in gaming history

I know I will get shit for this. But along with doom and HL/HL2 is Borderlands 1/2 for me. I will never understand how it did not get get far more attention than it did. Pre-sequel was garbage though.

20 minutes ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

I know I will get shit for this. But along with doom and HL/HL2 is Borderlands 1/2 for me. I will never understand how it did not get get far more attention than it did. Pre-sequel was garbage though.

Borderlands 2 ftw. Its a fantastic game, so much fun and guns, my first open-world rpg shooter. I think it really deserves an honorable mention, however, if we enter the genre of RPG's shooters, I'm not sure which game stands out in an incredible way, I'm between Borderlands 2 and Fallout 3.

5 minutes ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Borderlands 2 ftw. Its a fantastic game, so much fun and guns, my first open-world rpg shooter. I think it really deserves an honorable mention, however, if we enter the genre of RPG's shooters, I'm not sure which game stands out in an incredible way, I'm between Borderlands 2 and Fallout 3.

The weapons alone are enough for me to love it. Tie that together with that sort of freestyle art and you have a unique experience. It is also worth mention local splitscreen play up to 4 players....a rare thing these days.

My first Fallout was 4 then 3 and NV. They do deserve a mention of course.

On 1/11/2017 at 4:44 PM, Nevander said:

What is that GIF of? It looks like Xan from UT but red and with more... stuff.

Also, I really gotta install UT99 again. I fucking love that game.

Its from a UT2004 mod I think, I found it here : http://www.scoredoom.com/bhapo.html

1 minute ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

The weapons alone are enough for me to love to. Tie that together with that sort of freestyle art and you have a unique experience. It is also worth mention local splitscreen play up to 4 players....a rare thing these days.

My first Fallout was 4 then 3 and NV. They do deserve a mention of course.

STALKER is another great RPG shooter, maybe it lacks the skill or leveling system, but its really amazing and hardcore.

Just now, Anidrex_1009 said:

STALKER is another great RPG shooter, maybe it lacks the skill or leveling system, but its really amazing and hardcore.

Has a modding community too, no? Cheeki Breeki

Most Influential

Doom = (the most important shooter ever made period)

Quake 1, 2, 3 = (true 3d + driving PC hardware Vodoo cards+ Multiplayer scene + pro-player is born)

Duke Nuke = (The Cheese Hero + interactive environments not dark corridors)

Half-life = (the formula of the classic shooter was mastered to perfection: environments are interactive they speak and tell stories without cut scenes + classic action +creative weapons + smart A.I.)

Counterstrike = (was the most popular Team multiplayer shooter for a Long time a timeless classic)

Rainbow Six = (Birth of tactical shooters: like Ghost recon, Swat …)

Delta Force = (open level design huge areas to snipe)

Operation Flash point = (birth of true military Sim…Arma Series which in turn gave birth to DayZ & Battle Royal mods that are very popular today plus the seed of the open world level design)

Unreal Tournament 1 & 2004 = (the Twitch shooter that rivaled Quake 3 and in the eyes of many played better)

Medal of Honor = (WW2 shooter subgenre)

Battle Field 1942 & 3 = (middle grounds between Call for Duty and Military Sim…. the multiplayer war experience perfected + destructible environments!!)

Deus Ex (series) = ( Most ambitious gameplay design in a shooter never replicated)

BoiShock Infinite: Best Story telling in an FPS

Call for Duty Modern Warfare = (copy pasted in most shooters / a very good multiplayer formula arcade like)

F.E.A.R= (still feels like best AI in a shooter)

Half Life 2 = (highly influential but the first did it better)

Far cry 1 & Crisis = (semi open world shooters that eventually evolved to the open world shooter that we know today Far cry 2,3,4,5 ….) 

Doom 3 = (Horror Shooter + action oriented: I have to put it here)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R = (Open world shooter + Post-apocalyptic setting (not really but it feels like it) + RPG elements + good shooting mechanics + extremely immersive environments)

Fallout 3 = (Post-apocalyptic setting + Full-fledged RPG open world game+ with shooting elements: note Fallout 4 had better shooting mechanics but weaker RPG elemnts)

Borderlands = (RPS Role Playing shooter genre is created + open world + RPG Diablo like Elements+ Solid Shooting mechanics influenced Destiny 1,2 , division 1,2 , Anthem , Shadow Warrior 2 etc.…. )

Edited by Ziad EL Zein : Added information

Oh shit whattup, postin in a necro thread:

Operation Bodycount - This game really taught me to love rat killing

Zero Population Count - For when you absolutely positively need to play an entire game set inside a KMFDM album cover 

Gloom - Only the greatest in in Amiga Shooters that are definitely in no way influenced by Doom

For me, the golden era of FPS was 1992 to 1998... Starting with Wolfenstein 3D, ending with Half-Life. Most of them with pure arcade sensibilities, centered around fast-paced gameplay or complex level design.

Half-life was a change of paradigm. After that, FPS was another thing. It was more about how realistic it could get or how close the game could be to a movie, centered around narrative and linearity - which is perfectly fine, just not my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong though, there is still a lot of great modern titles around, some of them still being made today.

Edited by Noiser

On 11/3/2017 at 7:33 AM, arobase said:

Yeah, I figured someone wouldn't get it.

The only thing that matters in this industry is money, period. Call of Duty will go down forever as the single most legendary FPS franchise because it makes a bunch of money -- that is literally the only criteria that matters, both to publishers and media outlets, who are, I remind you, driven by money. You could make an argument that one entry or another in the franchise is important but none are as important as the franchise in total, an unstoppable juggernaut that has had a massive gravitational effect on gaming as a whole in terms of development, marketing, and culture.

In case you haven't figured it out, I am deeply cynical, and I'm simply applying what I know about this industry (and capitalism as a whole) to my answer to the premise of this thread. I could rattle off ten different games made in the last 10 years alone (remember that CoD4 came out in 2007) that blow every CoD game out of the water in terms of how fun they are to play and what they bring to the medium, but they don't fucking sell like Call of Duty does.

This isn’t true for any other medium. You’re being a bit too cynical regarding the influence of money here, what you’re describing isn’t a given; it’s actually contrary to what you see in any other creative industry and I’d argue and there’s no reason to believe it’s the case with games. Plenty of films, artworks, songs, etc all failed to achieve monetary recognition upon their initial release but were later revisited as being undeniably influential.