Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZALGO

Your favorite anime?

• Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Being a Magical Girl isn't all it's cracked up to be.)
  • Attack on Titan (Eat him not me!)
  • Mirai Nikki (Romero & Juilet with a bodycount.)
  • Made in Abyss (Uncle Lovecraft's Happy Funtime Bottomless Death Pit.)
  • Fate Zero (Battle Royale eye candy.)
  • Monogatari Series (Harem with subtitles.)
  • Steins Gate (Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.)
  • Spice & Wolf (She's smarter than the average wolf.)
  • Haiyore Nyaruko-san (My little eldritch horror can't be this cute.)
  • Psycho Pass (Pretty much Minority Report.)

D. Grayman is a good one, but unfortunately tends to get a little bogged down in the second season- watch if you’re patient.

Tokyo Ghoul, edgy as hell but good action 

Code Geass if you like strategy

Hellsing Ultimate- an indestructible vampire badass, a chic with big boobs shooting a big-ass rifle, and firearms masturbation. Oh yeah, and Nazi vampires. (It’s my current favorite).

Attack on Titan also has a good story and twists and turns.

Death Note- gotta watch it at least once- everyone does.

Prison School- I’ve got no explanation other than that it’s really... weird.

Soul Eater- fun, action, and the grim reaper runs a school. Fuckery ensues.

Boku No Pico fo sho.

1 hour ago, Urthar said:
  • Spice & Wolf (She's smarter than the average wolf.)

If you watch this you *have* to read the other 13 (+1 more on the way now!) books that the anime doesn't cover. It's just so good that you can't go on without getting to the real conclusion! No doubt my #1 favorite story of anything I've seen/read.

Rurouni Kenshin is my fav, and the manga is also great. My other topi titles: Cowboy Bebop, Lupin III (so much there, check out Castle of Cagliostro, Miyazaki's first movie), One Piece, Trigun, Gurren Lagann, Death Note, Maison Ikkoku, Macross, Hajime no Ippo, Zeta Gundam (watch the original Gundam movie trilogy first), Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, X (the series), Rainbow, Berserk (90s series), Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, Akira, Arcadia of My Youth, Bastard!!, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Nadesico, Escaflowne, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Read or Die, and Gunsmith Cats.

2 hours ago, PsychoGoatee said:

Akira

I used to list this as one of my favorites... then I read the manga and realized just how much didn't make it into the film.  I still really enjoy the movie, don't get me wrong, but that manga...

6 hours ago, ZALGO said:

Ehh, Evangelion is my favorite show as well, but I'm rather accepting towards a lot of genres in anime in particular. I respect your opinion, though.

I watch a lot of shows by Kyoto tho (don't even try to, I just end up watching there shows)

It's less that it's my favorite show and more that I don't give a hot shit about anime in general and I especially don't give a hot shit about anime in the last 10-15 years or so.

20 hours ago, Rayziik said:

If you watch this you *have* to read the other 13 (+1 more on the way now!) books that the anime doesn't cover. It's just so good that you can't go on without getting to the real conclusion! No doubt my #1 favorite story of anything I've seen/read.

I did eye up the books at the peak of my season 2 withdrawl, but I've since achieved a level of acceptance in my grief over a lack of a season 3, (by watching trashy harems.)

18 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

I used to list this as one of my favorites... then I read the manga and realized just how much didn't make it into the film.  I still really enjoy the movie, don't get me wrong, but that manga...

Indeed. The original movie overtook the manga big-time, and I would definitely not mind seeing an anime adaptation of the entire manga.

Right now, my current favorites anime and manga-wise are Berserk, Madoka, Hellsing, and Attack on Titan. I also quite enjoyed series like Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Akira, and Outlaw Star, and I've also got a certain soft spot for the more 90s-era series such as Tenchi Muyo, the Gundam series, and especially the early sagas of Dragon Ball Z.

Berserk, some of Naruto, Code Geass, the first half of Death Note, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun before it gets serious in the second half, Steins;Gate, Dragon Ball (I enjoyed everything cept for Buu saga in Z and all of GT), Hellsing Ultimate.

Berserk is probably my favorite however.

I love Trigun, but for me the second half is the best. That episode "Diablo" in particular, a bit turning point, Monev the Gale and Legato, that's my favorite episode. I've got a badass Monev the Gale toy too.

18 hours ago, Dravencour said:

Indeed. The original movie overtook the manga big-time, and I would definitely not mind seeing an anime adaptation of the entire manga.

I really should check out the manga, and catching up with the manga is always a thing. But in this case the movie is by the guy who did the manga, so even if what he wrote later to finish the manga is different, the movie is also a vision of his. The thing about Akira, and maybe why I haven't checked out the manga yet, is it works on almost a surreal abstract level, and atmosphere, I don't feel like I need further explanations and character motivations etc. And for a showdown between {spoiler} and {spoiler}, seems tough to top the movie. I love what the movie does there, it's like an epic Shakespearean tragedy spectacle. But I can believe the manga rocks, and I should give it a try.

18 hours ago, Dravencour said:

Right now, my current favorites anime and manga-wise are Berserk, Madoka, Hellsing, and Attack on Titan. I also quite enjoyed series like Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Akira, and Outlaw Star, and I've also got a certain soft spot for the more 90s-era series such as Tenchi Muyo, the Gundam series, and especially the early sagas of Dragon Ball Z.

Have you seen or read Rurouni Kenshin? Sounds like you might dig it, plus it's my #1 fav.

Edited by PsychoGoatee

5 minutes ago, PsychoGoatee said:

I really should check out the manga, and catching up with the manga is always a thing. But in this case the movie is by the guy who did the manga, so even if what he wrote later to finish the manga is different, the movie is also a vision of his. The thing about Akira, and maybe why I haven't checked out the manga yet, is it works on almost a surreal abstract level, and atmosphere, I don't feel like I need further explanations and character motivations etc. And for a showdown between {spoiler} and {spoiler}, seems tough to top the movie. But I can believe the manga rocks, and I should give it a try.

Have you seen or read Rurouni Kenshin? Sounds like you might dig it, plus it's my #1 fav.

I plan on reading the Akira manga, and I've recently been eyeing around for a good buy (it's a little pricey). Thing is, I never really thought the movie was anywhere near what it's cracked up to be. Largely because it felt like there was way too much that got cut off from the source material. It's still entertaining to watch for all its grandiose action sequences, but as a story it always felt rushed and incomplete to me. 

4 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I plan on reading the Akira manga, and I've recently been eyeing around for a good buy (it's a little pricey). Thing is, I never really thought the movie was anywhere near what it's cracked up to be. Largely because it felt like there was way too much that got cut off from the source material. It's still entertaining to watch for all its grandiose action sequences, but as a story it always felt rushed and incomplete to me. 

I think part of that is, everybody connects with different things in art/entertainment, different stuff resonates. It sounds a bit like The Shining situation, though this movie is by Otomo (the author), and Kubrick is a different visionary. Some love the story of the movie, I do, I don't feel that it is missing anything as a story. I don't feel confused by it, and largely I like it when stuff let's me go with the flow. And I find it really unique and interesting how the story between those two friends plays out, and the great direction, atmosphere, score, terrific animation etc helps as well.

That said, I may end up loving the manga too, and I can see why people who love that story would not want a different story that is brief with some of it's elements.

Akiras story feels rushed because it is, it's a movie trying to show what happens over the course of possibly months. The menga is much longer and has a lot more to it. I remember reading when Otomo first saw it he was really upset how chopped up it got.

8 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

Akiras story feels rushed because it is, it's a movie trying to show what happens over the course of possibly months. The menga is much longer and has a lot more to it. I remember reading when Otomo first saw it he was really upset how chopped up it got.

To be fair, googling it, that thought of his does end with ': "Oh, this is interesting" and that maybe it wasn't so bad after all.' And the article says "he may not like it at first, but history's already shown that that doesn't mean it won't be a success", etc. That said, if by cuts I don't know if he means he just couldn't fit more of his story in it because of time and budget, or if he's saying somebody else was involved in the final edit of his movie. So I didn't realize that.

But, that said, comparing it to an original work will naturally change how you look at it. Feeling that the movie is rushed or other criticisms, that is subjective. It's fast paced, but something feeling rushed in a bad way, in that you're not being invested in it and staying connected, that you feel there's something wrong with how it's coming across, that part I don't personally experience with the movie. Others such as yourself do, but it's not a "because it is" situation.

This applies to any and every adaptation, even if by the person who wrote the book. The adaptation (if a movie) is always shorter and with changes made, and you tend to prefer the book. I guess, at the end of the day, it's kind of apples and oranges, and there's nothing wrong with liking either one, or liking both.

You're right. It's just the nature of the beast of film. I mean it's like 6 books crammed into a 2 hour movie? I wasn't saying that in a bad way, I love both the manga and movie, with the movie was what introduced me to it. I'm just saying people saying it can feel kinda rushed is understandable. Still one of my top picks for anime films ever.

2 minutes ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

... Cipher The Video

WINNING

TOUGH

Cipher is a treasure. I don't know how it exists, I don't know why it exists, and I don't know why I've watched it. Let's hear it for the boy.

AKIRA, Attack on Titan, ghost in the shell, Battle Angel Alita, Samurai Champloo, Spirited Away, death note, Sailor Moon, Dragon ball, Trigun, Fist of the North Star, Astroboy, Fables of the Green Forest, Ninja Scroll, Gurren Lagann, Expelled from Paradise, Cowboy Bebop, King of Thorn, Robotech, LuckyStar, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Berserk, Nichijou, Metropolis, Interstella 5555, Elfen Lied, Visons of Escaflowne, Night on the Galactic Railroad, Azumanga Daioh

Other then the head honchos of the anime worlds (DBZ, Bleach, and Sailor Moon), I've come to liking quite a few. I watch dubs only, takes out too much effort to read and miss the great action (if any).

Elfen Lied

Food Wars! (only to Season 2)

Blue Exorcist

HighSchool DxD

Fate/Series including Prisma Illya spin off.

My Hero Academia

Little Witch Acadamia

Strike Witches

Trigun

Big-O

Baka and Test

Just to name a few.

I don't watch tons of anime.  If I do, I mostly watch movies.  I tend to prefer them to your average Anime TV show, but there are exceptions and I frequently try to get into more anime. Mainly at the behest of my weeby French friend, Grani. Still, here's ones what I like:

• Princess Mononoke
  • Paprika
  • Perfect Blue
  • Millennium Actress
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
  • Memories
  • Paranoia Agent
  • Tokyo Godfathers
  • Dead Leaves
  • FLCL
  • Ruroni Kenshin
  • Arietty
  • Cat Soup
  • Interstella 5555
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Jin-Roh

I've only watched like 6 animes in my life (weird, I know), and the only ones I remember I enjoyed were :

• Dragon Ball Z, few episodes from the first seasons at least, then it went uncomprehensible so I quit watching it.
  • Naruto, same as above.
  • Sonic X, finished the whole thing.
  • Inuyasha, didn't watch all the episode but I enjoyed some of them, oddly it wasn't confusing to get into the episodes meaning I didn't have to watch previous episodes I missed to understand what's going on.

So yeah my favorite has to be Inuyasha, it managed to keep the plot serious yet entertaining with some humor scenes.

All-time favorite: Spirited Away. I never tire of watching this.

Second favorite: Porco Rosso

Other favorites:

• Cowboy Bebop (movie was sort-of weirdly-themed, but had fantastic art; TV shows were great, but with some weirdness)
  • The Place Promised in Our Early Days
  • Pom Poko (very environmentally-oriented)
  • The Wind Rises
  • When Marnie Was There (very dream-like and surreal at times)

As you can tell, I'm a fan of stuff produced by Studio Ghibli (Ji-Bu-ri, ha!)

There are some anime like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Dragonball Z that I enjoy very much but, overall, I have to go with Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. It has everything I like. It has spiritual and scientific elements, strong characters, almost no fanservice, a cautionary tale about corruption within Government, it even delves into God with Truth and begs the question on whether it's a good idea for humans to be attempt to play God.

24 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

There are some anime like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Dragonball Z that I enjoy very much but, overall, I have to go with Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. It has everything I like. It has spiritual and scientific elements, strong characters, almost no fanservice, a cautionary tale about corruption within Government, it even delves into God with Truth and begs the question on whether it's a good idea for humans to be attempt to play God.

Definitely a fantastic series with one of the very best endings I've ever seen, although I wish it didn't have so many tonally inconsistent comedic moments. Why do so many anime need to be injected with slapstick humour when it's completely unwarranted? Even Berserk does this a few times. 

Probably to diffuse some tension. Even JJBA has some legit serious moments but I guess it gets away with it because it's seen as an outlandish series.