Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swift78

Identifying a Doom II CD

20 hours ago, Maes said:

Other things to check: the matrix/runout code on the CD-ROM itself, and the weight of the CD jewel box. In the 80s and early 90s, they were up to 3 times heavier than what you can find new today.

Well, the jewel case may be a dead-end, because I don't think it's the original.  It seems like he added the back cover into it and put the booklet in the front and nothing indicates that it would've been the original jewel case.

The only text towards the inside circle of the CD is DOOTWO1050, but I have no idea what to check that against?

4 hours ago, Swift78 said:

The only text towards the inside circle of the CD is DOOTWO1050, but I have no idea what to check that against?

Hopefully, a database of such codes. I'd be surprised if at least the collectors among us don't have a way to identify various pressings from their matrix/runout code, given how meticulously Doom info and trivia are documented.

On 11/9/2017 at 3:24 PM, Maes said:

Hopefully, a database of such codes. I'd be surprised if at least the collectors among us don't have a way to identify various pressings from their matrix/runout code, given how meticulously Doom info and trivia are documented.

Anyone? :P

Well, we might have hit a snag or informational void there. Nothing on the wikis...could it be that this detail got overlooked all those years? If I had a few of those CDs in my possession, I'd start an article about the known matrix/runout codes of specific CD-ROM releases. I only have Final Doom (European release by GT Interactive/Replay, ca. 1998), but not on hand right now.

2 hours ago, Maes said:

Well, we might have hit a snag or informational void there. Nothing on the wikis...could it be that this detail got overlooked all those years? If I had a few of those CDs in my possession, I'd start an article about the known matrix/runout codes of specific CD-ROM releases. I only have Final Doom (European release by GT Interactive/Replay, ca. 1998), but not on hand right now.

Yes, definitely overlooked. Maybe we can work together on the forums to get a list going?

Wiki seems like a good place to collect this stuff. I can probably provide some from my own collection.

Ok, that’s good. Your disc matches the expected MD5 of a common release.

If you suspect your disc is a silver CD-R or something (even if back then CD burners were a luxury), insert it into a CD or DVD writer (writer, not reader) and use ImgBurn to read the ATIP information. Pressed CDs lack of ATIP, so that the CD mustn’t have an ATIP.

For me, it looks authentic. Perhaps a budget pressing, but authentic.