Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Richard Simons

Marshmallow Doom (Spring 2020 Update!)

On 9/30/2019 at 1:41 PM, drfrag said:

I've just found the port was updated a few days ago with new features. The link it's in the first post.

Something i don't like it's that even when the code is on GitHub all commits are the same "Add files via upload" instead of a description of the changes which renders the version control system useless. If he uploaded the source in a zip it would be the same.

Hi! 

I'm in the process of really cleaning up the code for another code update to Github. 

A list of recent changes is always on the website accompanying every release:  http://www.marshmallowdoom.com

Edited by Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow

11 minutes ago, Zodomaniac said:

For me MD just crashes on Init WADfiles: adding doom2.wad stage :(

In my experience this only happens when DOOM2.WAD is not in the directory with the .exe. 

If you also have Ultimate Doom (DOOM.WAD) you could add command line parameter -d1 and see if Ultimate Doom works.

For me it crashes with just DOOM.WAD, Doom II works.

Without meaningful descriptions a big project is very difficult to maintain. And what if someone else is interested in porting some feature to other project?

On 10/2/2019 at 3:52 PM, Zodomaniac said:

For me MD just crashes on Init WADfiles: adding doom2.wad stage :(

Ok I figured out what the problem was here.  The WAD stealing Yes/No prompt checks for which wads are present, but I never tested it with only DOOM2.WAD present.

I have uploaded a new version with this fixed.  Thanks again for pointing this out.

Hello! First of all thanks a lot for this nice Source Port. I had a problem with the keyboard mapping on Marshmallow Doom v0.77, Crispy Doom and Marshmallow Doom have the default WASD keyboard config for movement but I've never been a fan of such arrangement, I prefer ESDF, now the problem here is when I play there's some kind of conflict when I press "E" and "S" to move-forward and strafe-left at the same time, the movement is only strafe-left on the game. I think maybe it has something to do with the engine over-ridding the custom button config with the default one, I test my assumption mapping "W" to strafe-left and "A" to move-forward then when I press "W" or "A" on the game the movement is forward and strafe-left at the same time using only a single key. This problem doesn't exist on CrispyDoom,  I checked it on the last build just to be sure. I only use the "chocolate-setup.exe" for keyboard mapping by the way.
Thank you for all your hard work!

On 10/5/2019 at 5:05 PM, Amaguq said:

Hello! First of all thanks a lot for this nice Source Port. I had a problem with the keyboard mapping on Marshmallow Doom v0.77, Crispy Doom and Marshmallow Doom have the default WASD keyboard config for movement but I've never been a fan of such arrangement, I prefer ESDF, now the problem here is when I play there's some kind of conflict when I press "E" and "S" to move-forward and strafe-left at the same time, the movement is only strafe-left on the game. I think maybe it has something to do with the engine over-ridding the custom button config with the default one, I test my assumption mapping "W" to strafe-left and "A" to move-forward then when I press "W" or "A" on the game the movement is forward and strafe-left at the same time using only a single key. This problem doesn't exist on CrispyDoom,  I checked it on the last build just to be sure. I only use the "chocolate-setup.exe" for keyboard mapping by the way.
Thank you for all your hard work!

Thanks so much for this information.  After tinkering for a bit I was able to discover the cause of the issue as well as a temporary solution (see below.)  As for a permanent solution however, I will have to make it a priority to prepare a proper setup program for the next version release which will address this key binding issue as well as a few other config-related issues.

Problem: Crispy Doom adds extra key bindings for player movement, and unfortunately the outdated setup program that I include with the download does not give you access to set these alternate bindings.  Currently the only way to change these key bindings is by editing default.cfg manually. 

Solution: If you take a look inside the default.cfg file located in your Marshmallow Doom folder, you'll notice that, for example, key_strafeleft and key_alt_strafeleft are followed by different numbers.  These numbers are numeric codes representing each key on the keyboard.  Crispy's alternate movement key bindings are named key_alt_up, key_alt_down, key_alt_strafeleft, and key_alt_straferight

For ESDF movement, lines 8 through 15 of your default.cfg file should look like this:

key_up                        18
key_down                      32
key_alt_up                    18
key_alt_down                  32
key_strafeleft                31
key_alt_strafeleft            31
key_straferight               33
key_alt_straferight           33

In addition, there is another issue I will have to address: if you have coop bots in the game, the 'F' key is hard-coded to order bots to follow/regroup.  This was a foolish design choice on my part, and I'll have to do something about this for the next release as to accommodate players who don't use WASD movement.

On 10/6/2019 at 8:34 PM, Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow said:

Thanks so much for this information.  After tinkering for a bit I was able to discover the cause of the issue as well as a temporary solution (see below.)  As for a permanent solution however, I will have to make it a priority to prepare a proper setup program for the next version release which will address this key binding issue as well as a few other config-related issues.

Problem: Crispy Doom adds extra key bindings for player movement, and unfortunately the outdated setup program that I include with the download does not give you access to set these alternate bindings.  Currently the only way to change these key bindings is by editing default.cfg manually. 

Solution: If you take a look inside the default.cfg file located in your Marshmallow Doom folder, you'll notice that, for example, key_strafeleft and key_alt_strafeleft are followed by different numbers.  These numbers are numeric codes representing each key on the keyboard.  Crispy's alternate movement key bindings are named key_alt_up, key_alt_down, key_alt_strafeleft, and key_alt_straferight

For ESDF movement, lines 8 through 15 of your default.cfg file should look like this:

key_up                        18
key_down                      32
key_alt_up                    18
key_alt_down                  32
key_strafeleft                31
key_alt_strafeleft            31
key_straferight               33
key_alt_straferight           33

In addition, there is another issue I will have to address: if you have coop bots in the game, the 'F' key is hard-coded to order bots to follow/regroup.  This was a foolish design choice on my part, and I'll have to do something about this for the next release as to accommodate players who don't use WASD movement.

Thank you very much! The solution binding manually the keys worked perfectly and now I can enjoy your source port.

I'd like to try this source port, but unfortunately I can't get the latest version running.

It complains about a missing DLL:
marshmallow.png.06741eb5815745a5bd809d16cc94d2c9.png

Google directed me toward an old version of the C++ redistributable, which I installed, but that didn't resolve the issue. Then I found a post suggesting copying C:\Windows\System32\msvcr110.dll to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr110.dll, but after doing that I get a different error:
marshmallow2.png.16a1143afb0d7cba4869f3283a33b96c.png

I also tried installing the latest version of the C++ redistributable but that didn't fix it either.

Any ideas? I'm on Windows 10, should have all the latest updates applied.

On 10/27/2019 at 7:59 PM, jacderida said:

I'd like to try this source port, but unfortunately I can't get the latest version running.

It complains about a missing DLL:

Google directed me toward an old version of the C++ redistributable, which I installed, but that didn't resolve the issue. Then I found a post suggesting copying C:\Windows\System32\msvcr110.dll to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr110.dll, but after doing that I get a different error:

I also tried installing the latest version of the C++ redistributable but that didn't fix it either.

Any ideas? I'm on Windows 10, should have all the latest updates applied.

Hi Jac,

Thanks for giving me such detailed information related to your issue.

I was able to reproduce this issue on a separate Windows machine that never before had Marshmallow Doom or its development environment installed. 

I was then able to fix the issue by downloading a specific version (VS2012) of the Visual C++ redistributable package:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679  (NOTE: On their Download page, make sure you download the file name ending with "x86.exe")

I must add that this issue did not exist at earlier times when I tested deployments of Marshmallow Doom on random Windows computers.  I suspect that some of the major Windows updates that came out this year have changed/broke something related to older versions of Visual Studio.

I hope this resolves the issue for you.

2 hours ago, Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow said:

Hi Jac,

Thanks for giving me such detailed information related to your issue.

I was able to reproduce this issue on a separate Windows machine that never before had Marshmallow Doom or its development environment installed. 

I was then able to fix the issue by downloading a specific version (VS2012) of the Visual C++ redistributable package:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679  (NOTE: On their Download page, make sure you download the file name ending with "x86.exe")

I must add that this issue did not exist at earlier times when I tested deployments of Marshmallow Doom on random Windows computers.  I suspect that some of the major Windows updates that came out this year have changed/broke something related to older versions of Visual Studio.

I hope this resolves the issue for you.

Hey, thanks for the response!

Unfortunately that was the first one I tried. Btw, I'm actually a developer myself, so since there's not a lot of information here, perhaps the best thing to do would be to get a debug build from source? A stacktrace would probably be more illuminating.

Won't get a chance to try that until the weekend though.

And i don't even know if that would be possible, most Marshmallow stuff is in a different some sort of library and the commit history was not meaningful. Besides the code on GitHub is even older than the previous release.

I ported some features to RUDE, i fixed the backpacks as the feature was very incomplete back then. Do they work in Marshmallow now? And what about multiplayer itself? This comes as a surprise as i thought the project was dead but good to see it's not.

Hi man, your port looks very cool! I was excited to test some of these features.
Unfortunately it seems to have some several issues with dehacked compatibility.

Just to be aware of, I tried to launch it with my mod and noticed these oddities:

- Hellrazers are not able to shot
- Revenant projectiles are a lot slower
- Mancubi movement is slower
- SSG and Rocket launcher are translucent
- BFG doesn't seems to work properly and explodes in a weird way
(and probably other stuff I was not able to catch yet)

Edited by Noiser

Really interesting port! I've only had the chance to play solo/with bots for the moment, but the new gameplay features are cool. Some thoughts about a few features. plus a couple bugs I've noticed. (The ability to file Issues is apparently disabled on your Github page!)

• I love the option to randomly upgrade enemies + health values, and randomize items. Good healthy chaos for co-op runs.
  • The bots don't appear to take any damage from floors (no logic to find an exit if they get damaged, I guess?), and are absolute bastard cheaters in deathmatch (know exactly where you are in a stage, and they don't appear to simulate any delay between swapping weapons), but they're a lot of fun regardless.
  • Some of the features found in Datapad could probably be moved to the Options menu. Not a big issue, just a little awkward to access.
  • Doom DJ's "Vanilla" mode seems to pick music tracks randomly - There's no true Vanilla music mode in place. Not sure if that's a bug or by design.
  • There's a handful of new additions that don't appear to be toggleable in-game, like barrel pushing and barrel explosion particles. IMO, anything that can be altered in "marshmallow.cfg" should have an equivalent option available in-game or via Setup - mostly for user convenience.
  • BUG: Speaking of Setup, "Save Parameters and Launch Doom" and "Warp" (F2) don't actually launch Doom. Setup is still looking for "crispy-doom.exe" instead of "marshmallow-doom.exe"!
  • BUG: "Crispness" options are being saved, but aren't being loaded!
  • Bug? The sprint key doesn't function in co-op or deathmatch - autorun has to be enabled in order to run.
  • Bug? Ending a Deathmatch on Dis (Doom 1) triggers the single-player ending sequence

Overall, it's cool to see a port filling this sort of Classic/Gameplay-enhanced niche, and I'm curious to see how your port grows.

While I'm here: As far as multiplayer features go, are there any plans to support spectators? (even if it's just a first-person drone view, ala Chocolate Doom's three-screen-mode)

On 3/18/2020 at 4:26 AM, Zodomaniac said:

@Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow, Marshmallow Doom would be my favorite port if it stayed in sync with the Crispy codebase that has brought many advantages recently like widescreen rendering.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:41 AM, drfrag said:

And i don't even know if that would be possible, most Marshmallow stuff is in a different some sort of library and the commit history was not meaningful. Besides the code on GitHub is even older than the previous release.

Ok my next big task will be to get the code synced properly on Github.  I also have to clean it up a lot as it is full of goofy comments and notes to myself.

I ported some features to RUDE, i fixed the backpacks as the feature was very incomplete back then. Do they work in Marshmallow now? And what about multiplayer itself? This comes as a surprise as i thought the project was dead but good to see it's not.

Backpacks are now complete.  And multiplayer is pretty solid at this point, utilizing most features except random number generation, bots, and item inventory.

On 3/18/2020 at 9:27 AM, Noiser said:

Just to be aware of, I tried to launch it with my mod and noticed these oddities:

- Hellrazers are not able to shot
- Revenant projectiles are a lot slower
- Mancubi movement is slower
- SSG and Rocket launcher are translucent
- BFG doesn't seems to work properly and explodes in a weird way
(and probably other stuff I was not able to catch yet)

Thanks for letting me know, I'm going to give this a try and get back to you.  FYI revenant missile speed is a gameplay option, and is set to a slower speed by default.

• The bots don't appear to take any damage from floors (no logic to find an exit if they get damaged, I guess?), and are absolute bastard cheaters in deathmatch (know exactly where you are in a stage, and they don't appear to simulate any delay between swapping weapons), but they're a lot of fun regardless.

The bots do take damage from floors, just silently and a bit slower.  You'll notice them die after maybe 15-30 seconds.  This was basically an aesthetic decision so the bots aren't going "ARGH! ARGH!" constantly.

Bot skill can be adjusted by selecting Doom's usual skill levels.  They will be slower, dumber, and less accurate on easy, and impossibly difficult on hard.

A bot weapon switch delay is on my todo list.  Definitely necessary. 

While the bots know the path you took, if you are out of sight when they enter the room you're in, they won't notice you, and you can ambush them. 

• Some of the features found in Datapad could probably be moved to the Options menu. Not a big issue, just a little awkward to access.

I might move them at some point.  Originally they were on the datapad so it is clear where Crispy ends and Marshmallow begins.

• Doom DJ's "Vanilla" mode seems to pick music tracks randomly - There's no true Vanilla music mode in place. Not sure if that's a bug or by design.

If this is based on a test of E1M1 or MAP01, both of the songs from those maps are blacklisted by default, where a new song is randomly selected.  (Go to the next map and you'll see the usual stock music plays.)

• There's a handful of new additions that don't appear to be toggleable in-game, like barrel pushing and barrel explosion particles. IMO, anything that can be altered in "marshmallow.cfg" should have an equivalent option available in-game or via Setup - mostly for user convenience.

Most of those options will be added to the in-game menus soon.

• BUG: Speaking of Setup, "Save Parameters and Launch Doom" and "Warp" (F2) don't actually launch Doom. Setup is still looking for "crispy-doom.exe" instead of "marshmallow-doom.exe"!

The setup program was never recompiled to look for marshmallow-doom.exe.  Since I use Visual Studio, I could never get the setup program to compile for some reason. 

Some sort of symbolic link in the same directory could fix this, where it is named crispy-doom.exe but points at marshmallow-doom.exe.

• BUG: "Crispness" options are being saved, but aren't being loaded!

There are a small handful of Crispy features that are required for Marshmallow, and are forced-on when the game is started regardless of saved settings.  (Colored HUD text is one of these features.)  

• Bug? The sprint key doesn't function in co-op or deathmatch - autorun has to be enabled in order to run.

This is pretty much a poor design decision on my part.  The run key for the bots is hard-coded to Shift, so this is not good for players who leave autorun off and use shift to run.  I'll have to sort this out as soon as possible.  Making these new keyboard controls assignable is the best way to go.

• Bug? Ending a Deathmatch on Dis (Doom 1) triggers the single-player ending sequence

Definitely a bug.  I'll have this fixed next release.

While I'm here: As far as multiplayer features go, are there any plans to support spectators? (even if it's just a first-person drone view, ala Chocolate Doom's three-screen-mode)

An excellent idea though I had not thought of it.  I have added this to my list.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!  Some of these issues will be added to the FAQ.

Edited by Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow

Good to see you're back to working on this, I remember being disappointed that I couldn't get the last version to run. Any chances of a Linux port down the road? One of Chocolate and Crispy's strong points is being able to run on multiple OS' and platforms.

I wish I found this one sooner, it was fun revisiting Doom 1 like this, UV 2.0 is really nice. The music randomizer makes my game freeze every time the music changes though, any idea what that could be?

Also, this happens:

marshmallow-doom.png.37210623d5a0959df9f3b07c5b788984.png

Overall though, very fun to play. I hope I get a Co-Op partner for this soon cause that would put the monster upgrade system to good use. Can't wait to see more updates on it.

On 3/21/2020 at 4:59 PM, Lynnie said:

I remember being disappointed that I couldn't get the last version to run.

Yeah there was a bug that took me a while to catch, where if DOOM.WAD was not present, the game would crash on launch.  Being that most people don't have or use DOOM.WAD, I'm sure most people that tried it were unable to launch the game.  I felt like a real numbskull once I realized this...

Any chances of a Linux port down the road?

Yeah there will be a Linux build down the road if not soon.

The music randomizer makes my game freeze every time the music changes though, any idea what that could be?

Do you use Native MIDI music instead of OPL emulation?  When music is set to OPL, the freeze when changing songs happens much less frequently. 

This happens because Doom's functions for starting a song are only designed to be called between level changes, so when it's being called during gameplay there's a delay while the song is being loaded from the WAD.

Also, this happens

There are a few switch textures that get messed up when you import DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD.  This also happens when you do this with vanilla Crispy Doom (the last time I checked.)  I have been unable to find a solution, so if anyone else has any ideas why this happens I'd love to hear it!

Indeed, OPL is smooth, although I don't like OPL music so I'll just keep the native midi, it's a nice feature.