New beta release of Marshmallow Doom! (video)

Looks interesting! I tried to compile for Mac from the source code and it's complaining about a missing "cocoa.h" file.

Edit: ah, it (along with all the Marshmallow stuff) is in the /msvc folder, I see.

edit edit: I got a ways in to trying to fix it up to compile on Mac and started running into a ton of code errors, how did this even compile on MSVC??

The download link has a \\backslash instead of a //slash and therefore does not work.

Also that setup utility lets you set up Heretic/Hexen/Strife even though those games aren't supplied.

EDIT: lulziest port I've ever seen. Reminds me of Legacy with all the available gameplay adjustments.

(While we're at Legacy, you could totally borrow its feature of changing the delay between a door opening and closing.)

The extra features are accessed via the M key, and there are separate controls for that menu. Which is cool.

The funky danger meter is funky. Heh.

Possibility of reducing LS/Caco/Pinky health. Cool! But for some reason you can increase the chaingunner's HP. Why would anyone in their right mind do that?

The "Inventory" seems cute.

Another type of punch. For me it was set to the tilde key, it makes the revenant sound and I dunno what's the point of it.

The "sprint" (for me it was the Q key) is cute as well.

About the sandbox: maybe you could add the option of placing powerups and weapons as well? I mean, yeah you can cheat to get them, but it would be more "complete" that way.

Overall I don't quite get the point of this port, but it's cute, so carry on I guess.

Edited by bzzrak

37 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Looks interesting! I tried to compile for Mac from the source code and it's complaining about a missing "cocoa.h" file.

Edit: ah, it (along with all the Marshmallow stuff) is in the /msvc folder, I see.

The project was originally called Cocoa Doom before I figured out there's already a source port by that name.  This project's source files are all in the /msvc folder.  I still have to rename them from the "cocoa" names and move them to their own folder, etc.  When it goes up on Github I'll get it cleaned up.

59 minutes ago, Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow said:

Bots for solo cooperative play

Another source port with coop bots?!

You have my full attention for this XD

Edited by Philnemba

Very nice concept, feels good to have new stuff in development. Btw, i dont get the sound effects in game and menu, only music, SDL issues maybe? I'm on Windows 10. Also, i set the resolution to 1680 x 1050 in the setup file (my native resolution), but the screen get some black borders. Lower resolutions are fine though.

Overall i like the idea, reminds me of MBF a bit.

2017-11-02 15_22_06-The Ultimate DOOM - Chocolate Doom 2.3.0.png

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

Overall I don't quite get the point of this port, but it's cute, so carry on I guess.

I am a big fan of the Chocolate Doom-family of ports, so I wanted to expand within this lineage but in the direction of improved gameplay, sort of picking up where the now dead Strawberry Doom left off.  The three biggest features: dynamic music, sandbox mode, and bots, are just things that I personally always wanted Doom to do.  And I've always wanted to do something with Doom's source code, so I set a handful of goals and did it.  I wasn't worried about which ports already implemented the same ideas.

Edited by Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow
7 people like this

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

The download link has a \\backslash instead of a //slash and therefore does not work.

Whoops!  Fixed.  Thanks!

36 minutes ago, GhoulDesecrator said:

Btw, i dont get the sound effects in game and menu, only music, SDL issues maybe? I'm on Windows 10. Also, i set the resolution to 1680 x 1050 in the setup file (my native resolution), but the screen get some black borders. Lower resolutions are fine though.

I'm not a huge fan of those black borders either... but you can read about them here:  https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ#When_playing_in_a_full_screen_mode.2C_why_is_there_a_black_border_around_the_screen.3F

As for the sound... I seem to have left the sound volume at zero in the default config file.  Fixed now... Thanks!

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow said:

Bots for solo cooperative play or deathmatch

Color me interested for this feature alone, the existing bots for Doom are bad in general and worse for trying to accurately test vanilla-designed maps (since the only ones worth anything at all force jumping or they don't work right).

This is great news! A fork based on Crispy, cool!

As you may have seen, I have just merged Choco's SDL2-branch into Crispy's master branch some weeks ago, so you might be interested in merging these changes into your fork as well.

46 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Color me interested for this feature alone, the existing bots for Doom are bad in general and worse for trying to accurately test vanilla-designed maps (since the only ones worth anything at all force jumping or they don't work right).

I actually have not explored any existing Doom bot mods yet.  I have much work to do in making the bots smarter (detecting when they get stuck, working together, etc.) but as of now they know a handful of basic behaviors and are pretty good at them.  Their pathfinding ability is probably their coolest feature.  I love playing halfway through a map alone, then spawning the bots for help, and then waiting for them to find me at wherever I am in the map.  I just love it when a door opens and the bots come rushing in with guns blazing.  

So long story short, the bots are working, playable, and fun, but have a lot of potential for improvement.  

9 minutes ago, fabian said:

This is great news! A fork based on Crispy, cool!

As you may have seen, I have just merged Choco's SDL2-branch into Crispy's master branch some weeks ago, so you might be interested in merging these changes into your fork as well.

I had not seen the recent changes with SDL2.  That is great news!  I will definitely merge that in.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Linguica said:

edit edit: I got a ways in to trying to fix it up to compile on Mac and started running into a ton of code errors, how did this even compile on MSVC??

When I compile it in MSVC, I get 220 warnings, about 50 of which are from my code.  The others come from the rest of the codebase: a lot of warnings from files i_oplmusic.c and am_map.c.

I do believe that MSVC is more lenient on what it will compile without errors compared to just about any other compiler.  (I can just hear Bill Gates saying "hey, let's allow it to compile bad code so more people buy it!")

Hey, this is pretty neat stuff! Liking this sort of versatile/retro combination!

2 people like this

So... how's the demo compatibility/netplay for this thing?

2 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

So... how's the demo compatibility/netplay for this thing?

Demo/savegame compatibility is unclear at the moment.  I will have to report back after further testing.

As for netplay, most features except bots have tested to work in real network games.  (As of now, the bots are meant for a solo co-op experience, but I'd like to get them working in a real netgame soon.)

During the first few months of development, I had the pleasure of testing this at a 4-player LAN party a number of times.  Back then, all the new co-op options (friendly fire, weapons stay, monster bonuses, conserved items, etc.) worked very well in a real netgame.  I have not had a chance to test like this again recently, but will be soon!

Here is another gameplay video:

- Part 1: co-op bot along with Doom DJ spinnin' dem beatz (a.k.a. dynamic music)

- Part 2: sandbox game in E1M1 with Doom II monsters (assets are "stolen" out of DOOM2.WAD)

- Part 3: some old-school Doom II deathmatch set to Doom 1 music (another case of petty WAD theft...)

Edit: another video demonstrating sandbox battles built in some classic DWANGO maps:

3 people like this

How about CTF multiplayer support? Then we can get rid of Odamex.

1 person likes this

Wow - that's some neat gameplay features you've got there! Many ports provide new features for mappers, but features for *players* are immediately fun for everyone "out of the box!" Very cool, indeed!

3 people like this

This sounds really neat, even though I'm spoiled by GZDoom in this day and age I still appreciate the classic game and seeing these forks of Choco, and in this case Crispy Doom, with expanded gameplay features while keeping the core aesthetic intact is very appealing.

1 person likes this