Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Happy Birthday, Csonicgo!

lol im an idiot; i made a .bat file, booted up the game and was like 'wow my mouse movement feels smoother than normal'. exited the map and realised i didnt put a -record parameter in the bat file. lol so no fda for you guys :(

have a (not) fda!

i thought this was really cool; when's the megawad? :p

the only criticism id have is the rev yk/ssg fight seemed to simply encourage running around in a tight circle. i think i did 4 or 5 attempts when not recording and 1(?) in the demo.

If I would have recorded an fda, two deaths at the imps/hk/PE/arch/manc lagoon. My demo on HMP cause the sky is blue:

hbcsonicgo-hmp.zip

On UV the shotgun gave me a lot of crap RNG at the beginning, or however "point blank shots don't kill imps/sergeants/zombieMEN" is called, which turned into the trickiest part this time, but I've yet to try another way. It was fun though, both skills. Not sure who did what, you both seem to have similar ideas for all sorts of encounters and balance. If I have to guess, the YK trap is from NIN, the initial ring is from both, the secret+boat+cake and ending SS nazi are from rdwpa, the lagoon by NIN, the outside part with boxes by rwdpa. No idea about balance between skills. 

Can I eat some cake now?

continuous FDA - about 12 minutes total.

1 death, I made cautionary save-states just in case afterwards, but i didn't have to use them.

good map.  I like the peripheral rock formations around the outside.

i'm gonna take a wild guess at who mapped what, forgive me for my wrongness:  the outdoor section was mostly done by arr-dwah-pah, perhaps a mix of both mappers but it feels like the ol' speedmaps from rdwpa from years ago which is my only reference point for these guesses;  the slaughter setup with the timed back-wall with three archies was NIH's because i think i recall NIH having outspoken opinons on slaugtermaps;  I'm gonna guess that the beginning cyberdemon circle was rdwpa's but i really have no clue.

noisy_CSGBD.zip

2 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

i must admit ive typed NIN too many times to count before trying again :D

Last time I actually saw "Nine Inch Nails", I thought that's someone, and took me like 1 minute to realize it doesn't work that way ;P

Very nice map, will play it later today when I have time.

I've been blindrunning maps all afternoon, one more can't hurt

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=02275468348172193489

Second attempt on HMP (first attempt on UV abandoned after dying 6+ times in the first room). Expectedly frustrating map from two of the forums biggest obnoxious choreography puzzle enthusiasts. I died to splash damage while trying to press the red button after running around for ages working out how to get into the secret. Then I died twice out of impatience. Then I died because the archviles wouldn't behave, not sure how those kind of chaotic battles with multiple archviles behind walls of meat are meant to be played reliably. Finally exited on fifth restart, glad I guessed there would be a telefrag and didn't waste time shooting from distance. Final time 3:34, total 13:56.

MAP01  DEAD  138/105  2   52/59  1/1  6:42+04
MAP01  DEAD  8/105    97  0/59   0/1  0:10+03
MAP01  DEAD  6/105    99  0/59   0/1  0:08+31
MAP01  DEAD  73/105   38  37/59  1/1  2:48+02
MAP01  EXIT  126/105  0   47/59  1/1  3:34+34

Clarification: "obnoxious choreography puzzle" is a map genre, of which the authors of this map are two of the community's biggest enthusiasts. I realise what I wrote above is easily misread. Apologies for any offence caused, none was intended.

Edited by RjY

Wooww this map was intense~

I love the idea of using a cybie to clear out some enemies. I ended up bottlenecking one of the doors :P

1 hour ago, Csonicgo said:

Wooww this map was intense~

We hope you had fun with it. By the way, if you might want to make guess as to who designed which fights, now's your chance.

So here's a rough description of who did what (in order of appearance-ish):

Spoiler

Gameplay wise, the map was in my hands up until the yellow key. That part went through several iterations, because originally there were more hitscanners (including 2 more chaingunners outside), and there also was less health available. After some discussion we both agreed that in particular the outdoor area needed some toning down, but I also did some tweaking inside the cybie room to make it flow a bit nicer. I also put the exit room in place after deciding the cybie would get telefragged.

Rdwpa did the rocket launcher arena, which only needed some mild tweaking with the timer, from my POV, basically it was ready to go right away, albeit a bit on the unforgiving side of things. What rd later added was the plasma gun secret sequence that I really liked. He also added the HMP difficulty to the map which also went through a few minor iterations. I'm just not that great at judging what people might need for lower difficulties at times.

Fun fact: I made an opening to the map that I thought rd would enjoy (in some sense I was trying to mimic his style a bit), while he made something that he thought I would enjoy (which by the way I did). ;-)

In terms of visuals, I did some basic texturing with my early parts in the map, which later have been polished by rd while he had the map, and the rocket-launcher fight is entirely rd. He also did most of the diorama detailing when he had the map, including the "birthday-hangout" as I like to call it. What I did was searching for the picture that was gonna be put in, and since I remember Csonicgo mention that she plays bass, I thought it was a good idea to have that in the map.

So this is roughly how we did things.

29 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

So here's a rough description of who did what (in order of appearance-ish):

Hide contents

Fun fact: I made an opening to the map that I thought rd would enjoy (in some sense I was trying to mimic his style a bit), while he made something that he thought I would enjoy (which by the way I did). ;-)

From what i read, it sounds like I got almost everything wrong lol.

btw i think the balancing was worth it.  it seemed perfect for me.

Just now, NoisyVelvet said:

From what i read, it sounds like I got almost everything wrong lol.

To be perfectly honest, your guesses really made me smile quite a bit, because in a sense they confirmed to me that I managed to wrap my head around rd's style of mapping to a good enough degree that I can reproduce some facets of it in a somewhat convincing manner. So basically you made me a really nice compliment there. ;-)

On 04/11/2017 at 6:37 PM, RjY said:

I died to splash damage while trying to press the red button

I think I just realised why this happened: lines 982 and 984, the sides of the red switch, are type 135 S1 open red door, but they lack the necessary tag. So you can't press the whole switch, only the middle part, to get it to respond.

Only the central part with the switch texture was meant to be activated (the existence of the non-functioning triggers is an artifact of construction that wasn't removed), but I'll make the whole thing usable in the final version anyway.