Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AleksB

How to add fire sky in the wad

Question

OKay guys, another question.  So I pretty much finished my wad, and want to add the psx doom fire sky to it.  I have the fire sky pk3 and firesky wad just for measure. Do I open the wad in slade 3 and import the fire sky into mapinfo and its done?  Or is it more involved with more steps?

11 answers to this question

It is quite a bit more involved. The process greatly depends on the port you are aiming for, these steps assume GZDoom.

You need to have all frames of the sky and name them in a sequence, such as FRSKY01 as the first and FRSKYxx as the last. Then in ANIMDEFS, do

texture FRSKY01
pic FRSKY01 tics 2
pic FRSKY02 tics 2
pic FRSKYxx tics 2

Next in TEXTURES

Texture FRSKY01, 64, 128
{
	Patch FRSKY01, 0, 0
}

Then in MAPINFO

map MAP01 "Map Name"
{
	levelnum = 1
	titlepatch = "CWILV00"
	next = "MAP02"
	secretnext = "MAP02"
	sky1 = "FRSKY01"
	music = "$MUSIC_RUNNIN"
}

Edited by Nevander

9 hours ago, Nevander said:

It is quite a bit more involved. The process greatly depends on the port you are aiming for, these steps assume GZDoom.

You need to have all frames of the sky and name them in a sequence, such as FRSKY01 as the first and FRSKYxx as the last. Then in ANIMDEFS, do

texture FRSKY01
pic FRSKY01 tics 2
pic FRSKY02 tics 2
pic FRSKYxx tics 2

Next in TEXTURES

Texture FRSKY01, 64, 128
{
	Patch FRSKY01, 0, 0
}

Then in MAPINFO

map MAP01 "Map Name"
{
	levelnum = 1
	titlepatch = "CWILV00"
	next = "MAP02"
	secretnext = "MAP02"
	sky1 = "FRSKY01"
	music = "$MUSIC_RUNNIN"
}

Thank you so much for the reply Nevander.  Now in slade the texture is called firesky instead of frsky.  Is that going to make a difference?

10 hours ago, Nevander said:

Texture FRSKY01, 64, 128 { Patch FRSKY01, 0, 0 }

And also where in textures would I put this?

2 hours ago, AleksB said:

Thank you so much for the reply Nevander.  Now in slade the texture is called firesky instead of frsky.  Is that going to make a difference?

He was using frsky as an example. You should use the real name.

2 hours ago, AleksB said:

And also where in textures would I put this?

If you right-click the patch in Slade, there should be an option to add it to textures, which will correctly add the entry for you.

2 hours ago, Empyre said:

He was using frsky as an example. You should use the real name.

If you right-click the patch in Slade, there should be an option to add it to textures, which will correctly add the entry for you.

When I open textures, I dont see a patch.  All I see is the pictures.

Oh, you're using that method of adding textures! In that case, I think you can skip the second step.

6 minutes ago, Empyre said:

Oh, you're using that method of adding textures! In that case, I think you can skip the second step.

Is there an easier way?

That is the easier way, but it is not the more commonly-used way. Also, not all ports support that method.

1 minute ago, Empyre said:

That is the easier way, but it is not the more commonly-used way. Also, not all ports support that method.

Im using gzdoom builder.  This is the first time im using a custom skybox, so i have no idea what im doing lol.  The only thing I did was make a map info and that didnt change the skybox. 

The way I did it in my TC is by using physical skyboxes on all the maps, and drawing a ring inside the skybox and applying the fire sky texture as the mid-texture around the viewpoint. I did this to get better control of where the flames start from.

However the method I posted would also allow you to use the texture name as the sky itself and let GZDoom take care of drawing it. I'm not sure how GZDoom ends up positioning the sky. I'm guessing it tries to find the highest point the player can see into sky when looking perfectly straight and centers it there. Others would know better than me though.