Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hoover1979

UltraHD Texture Pack - 2nd Tech Demo released!

EDIT: 2nd demo available as of 4th April 2018.

I have released the first tech demo of my work in progress UltraHD  Texture pack for Doom, on ModDB

http://www.moddb.com/mods/hoover1979-ultrahd-doom-texture-pack

There are 5 files.  One is the entire tech demo in a single RAR, and the other is the demo, split into separate RAR files  (3 are 700Mb and the 4th is 141Mb) for people with slower connections.  Just download all 4 parts to the same location, remove the .1 from the end of them (ModDB upload glitch), and extract part 1 and the other 3 parts will extract automatically.

Edited by hoover1979 : Updating info

Here is a brand new video I just recorded and uploaded.  I also use the Doom Metal music mod to punch up the sound and the Ketchup V5 mod for ludicrous gibs and splatter (set at "overdrawn at blood bank" to comical effect)  so without further ado, here it is.

Best viewed at 1080p@60FPS

2 new textures made today. 
These will be available, down the track when I get enough new textures made, to release the second Tech Demo.

64303f48a433b6c713a826147dcddf29-dbtz6lj

slimey_bricks_with_rusted_metal_and_pois

metaldr_by_hoover1979-dbupye3.png

Original Images: 2048x2048

Edited by hoover1979 : Updating Image

I started with the wood textures.  Last year the wood textures looked like plastic wood veneer, so I put them on the backburner until my skills further developed.

wood1_by_hoover1979-dbuo1qv.png

wooden_wall_09_by_hoover1979-dbuq39y.png

wood3_by_hoover1979-dbuo8y1.png

Original Images: 4096x2048

woodgarg_by_hoover1979-dbuopgc.png

wooden_wall_04_by_hoover1979-dbuoa2y.png

woodvert_by_hoover1979-dbuo1u6.png

Original Images: 1024x2048

23 hours ago, Rowsol said:

Now if only someone would do this for the sprites in the game.

Agreed.  Maybe when all the textures are done and I finished the bright maps, I can teach myself Blender and, when I can do adequate quality models for the pickups, decor, weapons, and enemies. then I can render them out to UltraHD (2K) sprites.  I think Blender is going to be harder to self-teach than Photoshop/Filter Forge was.  However, the plus side is the 3D models can be used in an engine port that can support them too.

Some new Wood Textures I made today.

wood6_by_hoover1979-dbv3yzw.png

wood8_by_hoover1979-dbv3bhl.png

wood9_by_hoover1979-dbv3ggu.png

wood7_by_hoover1979-dbv3hcr.png

Original Images: 1024x2048

wooden_crate_01_by_hoover1979-dbv3m4h.pn

Original Image: 2048x2048

Edited by hoover1979 : Updating last image.

I have been working on redoing some of the earlier Wood textures.  The first one I shared in post 8 was a bit dark, so I  didn't just brighten it up, I worked on adding more variety and depth to the wood.  It pops out more and some planks are brighter, some are darker to add variety to the texture.
wooden_wall_01_by_hoover1979-dbuo1qv.png

I found an 800x600 title screen for Doom, used in HD packs.

obvNznc.jpg

and then decided to revamp it into a 4k title screen for The Ultimate Doom.
ultimate_doom_title_pic__4k__by_hoover19
I think my extension of the 800x600 Doom title screen was a success (plus it took several hours of hard work to do)

Edited by hoover1979

On 1/1/2018 at 1:19 AM, hoover1979 said:

I spent nearly 6 hours today on a new Tech Wall.

That's a damn big Altera PLD XD

Nice work!  I've always had a soft spot for high-res textures.

I made a new panoramic ending for episode 3 from scratch and spent many hours doing it. 

bunny_scene2_by_hoover1979-dbzl92y.png
Original Size: 7680x2160

DISCLAIMER: No Bunnies were harmed in the production of this image.

This is really cool man. It's different but really fun to play with. IMO you should build up a list of recommended wads, I'd recommend Breach. I also made a little preview video using this texture set:

Edit: I have an issue (as does another guy on Reddit) where when the texture is loaded for the first time ingame the game stutters. To make this video I had to type 'freeze' in console then noclip around the whole map for all the textures to load then go back to spawn and type 'freeze' again.

Edited by xvertigox

Solution to performance problems: Enable Texture Precache in Display Options --> Open Gl options --> Texture Options  .... Precache GL Textures.

This takes all the loading and adds it as the map is loading, it's like a loading screen, without any graphical interface. After this, there won't be any problems

Precache the textures or the game stutters even on a GTX1080. 

I use a 4.4Ghz i7-4790k, 32Gb Corsair vengeance Pro 2400 DDR3 RAM and a Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming GTX1080 Waterforce, and GZDoom was almost unplayable with Texture Precache disabled, especially with the Ketchup mod enabled (and set to Overdrawn At Blood Bank).

Edited by hoover1979 : Adding more info.

My rig got hit by the Sigrun ransomware a week ago and I lost a bunch of files, including some of the resources I created that could go in multiple textures. Both that and my diagnosis of Fatty Liver disease has really slowed me down. The ransomware is now gone but I had to delete every file it encrypted from my HDD's.

Although my progress has come to a temporary halt when my health improves, I will get back to work.

Thank the DoomSlayer I got the second demo online as I don't even know if my .PK3's were encrypted by Sigrun!
I have to paw through 19.5Tb of HDD's to see what I lost, as I used Ultrasearch and deleted every encrypted file in one go.

Never pay the ransomware scumbags, you won't get your files and they will want more and more bitcoin and infest your email with virus-laden spam.

I am slowly getting back on my feet, after a kidney infection.  I will be back to work on textures within the next week or so, slowly working my way to a 3rd demo.

Glad to hear your health is improving!

I love these textures! Some people really just like the classic look and don't enjoy when others try to improve the graphics. But I love giving a fresh coat of paint to old games.

There are tons of new sprites, voxels of texture options for items and walls in the game. It gets me however that no one has made a faithful set of monster models or sprites. What I'm using currently I believe is ripped from Doom 3. It somewhat matches the quality of your textures, but it isn't faithful to the Doom 1/2 designs. The Doom community has done a lot over 25 years. And there are tons of modelers/artists out there who like working on fan games. So why has no one created faithful HD Doom 1/2 monsters as sprites or models (to my knowledge)?

Because it is incredibly difficult. It has been discussed at length a number of times and it always concluded that is a staggering amount of work or it could not be faithful enough. I myself have sculpted 3 doom style monster and while I think they look nice, I would not call them faithful.

So you've created these truly amazing textures. And GZDoom recently added support for PBR and materials. This looks like a great opportunity to really show off how amazing your textures are. Your main texture package is several hundred textures, so I started with your Doom 1 override package. I optimized your PNG files, and then compressed them in DDS format (with pre-generated mipmaps). This should actually help performance as the DDS file can be loaded directly into your GPU without having to convert it, and mipmaps are pre-generated.

Then I created normal maps for all of your textures. This I did in batch with a tool.

I manually created bright maps and specular maps by hand for the 71 or so textures in this package.

Then I created a definition file that tells GZDoom to use these textures. I've never created a Doom map before in my life. I'm going to just test this in existing Doom 1 maps and see if I can see any of these 71 textures in use, but someone could perhaps make a test map to showcase these specific textures. If these are working as intended and look good, I may do all the other hundreds of textures as well.

The amazing thing is that your PK3 package was 280 MB to start. I added bright maps, normal maps and specular maps. It is more than 3 times the number of previous textures. But the new PK3 file is actually smaller at 256 MB.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_MYVBULSkJ4aakl8yCBdb4vtHYL8o5ih