Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hoover1979

UltraHD Texture Pack - 2nd Tech Demo released!

On 9/28/2018 at 5:53 AM, enderandrew said:

So you've created these truly amazing textures. And GZDoom recently added support for PBR and materials. This looks like a great opportunity to really show off how amazing your textures are. Your main texture package is several hundred textures, so I started with your Doom 1 override package. I optimized your PNG files, and then compressed them in DDS format (with pre-generated mipmaps). This should actually help performance as the DDS file can be loaded directly into your GPU without having to convert it, and mipmaps are pre-generated.

Then I created normal maps for all of your textures. This I did in batch with a tool.

I manually created bright maps and specular maps by hand for the 71 or so textures in this package.

Then I created a definition file that tells GZDoom to use these textures. I've never created a Doom map before in my life. I'm going to just test this in existing Doom 1 maps and see if I can see any of these 71 textures in use, but someone could perhaps make a test map to showcase these specific textures. If these are working as intended and look good, I may do all the other hundreds of textures as well.

The amazing thing is that your PK3 package was 280 MB to start. I added bright maps, normal maps and specular maps. It is more than 3 times the number of previous textures. But the new PK3 file is actually smaller at 256 MB.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_MYVBULSkJ4aakl8yCBdb4vtHYL8o5ih

Thanks.  I don't have the programs to make PBR materials, and if I did I'd have to teach myself how to use them, which could take years.

I've not heard from you in a while and it's great to see you back on your feet again regarding this project.

I'm just using Photoshop. What I uploaded earlier wasn't working because my definition file wasn't correct. I'll fix it and upload a working version tonight if someone wants to test it.

Does anyone want to test this with a sample map with some dynamic (and ideally moving) lights? It can be a single room or two.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the effect of the specular, normal, height and bright maps.

On 10/1/2018 at 11:02 AM, enderandrew said:

Does anyone want to test this with a sample map with some dynamic (and ideally moving) lights? It can be a single room or two.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the effect of the specular, normal, height and bright maps.

I want to! I was doing some tests to see if I could make some moving lights using the enemy AI, and well, it works. It's not the best, but it should be enough for this.

Is this the more recent file?

On 9/27/2018 at 4:23 PM, enderandrew said:

I am living in a new house and the internet speeds are terrible. Especially the upload speed. Apparently, we will get a better fiber-optic setup in the next 3 months but at the moment I can't upload as the upload speed is less than 1Mbps (my internet is strictly wireless atm). If I make more textures I can't upload the 3rd demo until I get a reasonable upload speed. Please don't be disheartened by lack of updates, it takes forever to upload a single picture of new textures.

19 minutes ago, hoover1979 said:

I am living in a new house and the internet speeds are terrible. Especially the upload speed. Apparently, we will get a better fiber-optic setup in the next 3 months but at the moment I can't upload as the upload speed is less than 1Mbps (my internet is strictly wireless atm). If I make more textures I can't upload the 3rd demo until I get a reasonable upload speed. Please don't be disheartened by lack of updates, it takes forever to upload a single picture of new textures.

it must be horrible to wait for everything to uploud

@hoover1979I'm really sorry to hear about your health issues, and your HDD virus corruption. Files can be replaced, but health is what it is. Best wishes for everything.

Your images are top-notch - absolutely beautiful! I'd love to see them in action. I think the PBR guys should do their thing with your textures - that would be even more amazing.

I hope nobody thinks I am trying to be elitist about being used to faster speeds.  I just want to get my stuff out to the public as quickly as possible.

I plan on making a few new textures in a few days when my back pain subsides.

I am really sad that I have not been able to work on my texture pack for so long due to complex health issues. I feel like I am letting my followers down as this is the longest break I have had because my health has declined and I am in and out of the hospital. I swear I haven't abandoned my pack and wish to get back to it as soon as humanly possible.

I think it's not worth it if you're risking your health, I'd rather not have the mod to lose a doomer more

Yes, please rest as needed, and get yourself better - that's all that matters. Best wishes.

I hope to be back at work in the new year.  I am still having back pain issues but it's showed signs of improvement and I will wean off of the pain meds (and will be getting more Physiotherapy and Hydrotherapy).  Then after resting and spending Christmas with my family, I hope to be back on Photoshop churning out new textures in the new year.  Consider it my New Year's Resolution.

I did a new texture today.  I spread the work over two days as I am taking it slow as I haven't 100% recovered from my health problems.
So, without further ado, here it is.
dczg27j-dfc1df7b-5ea1-4a6e-9c5e-f2481b90

I made another texture today, the taught skin wall with bleeding wounds.  I will still do more work on it though, as I am not quite happy with the dripping blood.  When I get the funds together I will purchase some stock photos of dripping blood and use them in the texture, because I can't yet generate them properly in Photoshop/Filter Forge.

Here is what I have so far.
dczj49m-5e7071cc-c3b3-4841-a53a-b5fbd2f3

I made the grey marble texture.  This one wasn't the marathon effort like the flesh and skin ones were.  I got this knocked out in an hour when recycling some elements of the green marble texture.
dczjl8q-2705bde1-3e5c-44af-bfd8-ca078b0a

I think the latest build of GZDoom handles the textures better.  Either that or the fact that the main file on my end is no longer in a PK3 but a folder called TEXTURES (the game specific overrides are still PK3's).

I had to make the main textures file a folder instead of a file because after adding some more textures it got too big for GZDoom to handle and it just bypassed the file and only rendered the override textures, skipping the rest. 

So if you are having trouble with freezes at random and when hitting switches try updating to the latest build of GZDoom (rename brightmaps.PK3 to brightmaps.OLD so bright maps from the original textures don't show over the UltraHD ones), and open the main PK3 file (the really big one) with WinRAR, WinZIP or Win7z and extract it to your GZDOom folder and rename the HIRES folder to TEXTURES and let me know in a comment in this thread if it solves your performance issues.

Will you make some at double the resolution of the original Doom textures? It would be nice to have a smaller set of textures for us people with low end computers. Of course, it would be better if left for whenever this pack is finished.

That is my plan.  I can batch resize the textures via XNView and already have a 1K pack.  When I get to the 3rd demo release I will do a 2k, 1k and 512p pack (And maybe a 256p pack for those with really low specs).  The performance will be better when using a folder structure as opposed to PK3's too, which will benefit all users, especially those with less PC grunt.

I'm just amazed I was actually able to figure out what had been causing the freeze issue for so many users especially prevalent in the 2k pack.