Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club Metathread

Meta comment: I kind of prefer official voting being lumped into the main threads. I've read a lot of DWMC threads and that's just something I'm fond of I guess. Also works as a spike in enthusiasm in the case of threads that end up losing lots of steam near the end.

I like the club a lot, I have little in it but reading the comments and being able to discover new wads is always a pleasant experience. I do not think there's anything bothersome about it, and if I could do something to improve it ... well, maybe, some incentive to motivate the players? As an example, select the best reviews?

:C I do not know, I'm insecure.

6 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

recently I've had a chat with a couple different people regarding its future

What did they say?

I would like to see the respective month's thread get pinned and maybe even "featured" (front page presence), as opposed to having it "jump around" in the WADS subforum. In addition, I would also like to see the OP link to a review that is somewhat thourough (if there is any). In some sense, the DWMC was my "newstuff" for a long time, and it makes for a nice read during "coffee breaks". That said, I feel like if it gets "situated" a bit better, it might have some more gravity to it, both in terms of readers and players, while it promotes WADs a bit more efficiently. Formatting wise, I feel like putting the previously played WADs into spoilers might make the OP look a bit less "intimidating", for lack of a better term. In case of the current thread, I would also spoiler the maplist/authors section.

I don't think I have anything "major" to criticize, though. If the concept in and of itself wasn't any good, the DWMC wouldn't have become a staple within this community. So I like to think it does significantly more things "right" than it does "wrong". One thing that I would love to see more, even though there's no way to really do anything about it, is mappers being a bit more active in the DWMC when their maps are being played. I liked that Joshy was around in the SoD DWMC, or that ribbiks was around during the Stardate month, or Armoured blood during newgothic movement II. That really meant something for me personally, because even if it only was a few sentences here and there at times, it made for a little something extra for me as a player in that particular context.

If there's anything else that might be a bit more on the playful side of things, why not do votes for "reviewer of the month", to add some incentive for people? Even though I don't always agree with his tone, my vote would go to NumetalManiak solely based on the merits that he's thourough and consistent.

I often write comments in advance and post them pretty much exactly when the day changes here in Moscow. Is that annoying? Does it look like I'm trying to be first? Would posting midday be preferable?

2 hours ago, Memfis said:

I often write comments in advance and post them pretty much exactly when the day changes here in Moscow. Is that annoying? Does it look like I'm trying to be first? Would posting midday be preferable?

Did anyone have a problem with that? I mean people know what time zone you're in, we even have some members in the far East and Australia . I'm 2 h behind you .and post mostly at night and check if someone has written anything new :)

3 hours ago, Memfis said:

Pfft. No biggie. Heck, my preferred method is to play MAP05 on the night of the 4th (for example) and post my reactions immediately thereafter, since I know a number of folks on the other side of globe may already have their thoughts up by that point.

Otherwise, I basically agree with everything Heels said above, which I'll summarize as "If it ain't broke..." and "Maybe pin the current DWMC thread?"

I actually prefer it remain unpinned personally, because I find that my eyes naturally glaze over the pinned threads at the top of any forum (not just this one). And it's usually pretty easy to find the thread since it's almost always on the first page and tends to have a long thread title.

The only things I 'dislike' about it is that so many people drop out of playing quickly (worse when they voted for the WAD in the first place) but I don't think there's any way to actually prevent that.

Spoiler boxing the previous threads is probably a good idea just to help unclutter the OP.

7 minutes ago, Magnusblitz said:

The only things I 'dislike' about it is that so many people drop out of playing quickly (worse when they voted for the WAD in the first place) but I don't think there's any way to actually prevent that.

Since this is something I suppose people think is what I do at times, I don't vote for what I don't play in that respective month. There's no obligation to write anything, and I don't see much merit in repeating what others already pointed out, which I'm guessing might be the format's only "weakness". I would find it interesting to see how many people just simply play along as opposed to playing and writing something, though.

2 hours ago, Magnusblitz said:

The only thing I would argue for is that we make a clear request that people not vote for something unless they have a genuine intent to play it if it wins.  But intent is all I think we should ask for, because something stuff happens and this is supposed to be fun.

re:people not finishing the wad by the end of the month

I live a pretty busy schedule and I'll try to bang out the whole WAD, but if it fails to grip me after the first few maps or my workload increases like it tends to do, I'll usually end up just leaving it as it as. Hell, I left one month because I lost a lengthy writeup and it vanished in the wind.

regardless I think the club is fine as it stands but I could use to see less "popular" wads get featured and maybe compilations of levels based by year, like some TNS sessions were. Most megawads are draining to get through, especially if it's a 1 man offering or based on a gimmick.

1 hour ago, Capellan said:

The only thing I would argue for is that we make a clear request that people not vote for something unless they have a genuine intent to play it if it wins.  But intent is all I think we should ask for, because something stuff happens and this is supposed to be fun.

Yeah, I think "intent to play" is all that matters. If I cast my vote for HR2 because I'll likely never dive in otherwise, even if I only make it through MAP10 or whatever, that's fine.

Honestly I feel like, beyond anything else, the real purpose of the DWMC is to expose people to WADs they wouldn't otherwise have played.

Excellent point about spoilering the "Old Threads" section Nine Inch Heels—that's one of those "it's so obvious how come I didn't think of it?" suggestions. I'm not keen on doing it for the map listing just because I don't see much of a point in doing so.

18 hours ago, Linguica said:

Is this metathread compatible with Brutal Doom?

Let it go Ling, Brutal Doom doesn't like you, she has a restraining order on you man, just move onnnnnnn

8 hours ago, Memfis said:

Not annoying at all; we have so many different users around the globe that trying to determine a regimented "time zone" to follow is foolish. I don't mind when people post out of their time zone either—I frequently do it myself.

2 hours ago, bioshockfan90 said:

regardless I think the club is fine as it stands but I could use to see less "popular" wads get featured and maybe compilations of levels based by year, like some TNS sessions were. Most megawads are draining to get through, especially if it's a 1 man offering or based on a gimmick.

This is likely going to happen by default, as the popular wads get picked and played, letting the more obscure stuff rise to the surface. I'm not against doing a compilation of levels or multiple episodes, but my argument has always been that I don't want to organize it myself. I'm fine if I'm given a series of wads to post, or if someone else handles club duties, but having to scrounge around for multiple links to a file is something I really don't enjoy doing for the club, especially when I have no interest in participating.

I think the club is great and was the main reason for me to be active on the forums. It does feel kind of depressing when posts in the 2nd half of the month significantly drop off, but there isn't much to be done about that. (I say this while not posting this month.)

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

I think the club is great and was the main reason for me to be active on the forums.

Same here honestly.

I feel like probably more than half of my total posts are in the DWMC threads, so it's done a lot to give me a reason to be active on the forums, and also to sample WADs that I otherwise wouldn't have taken a look at.

It would be interesting to compare the drop-off rate in different types of WADs/months - typical megaWADs in which the levels get progressively larger, tougher, and longer toward the end, vs. tightly structured WADs in which the time and effort commitment doesn't escalate so much, vs. collections of smaller WADs which offer several demanding peaks throughout the month rather than being weighted so heavily toward the back half.  Overall I don't think drop-off is something that can be prevented, only discouraged.

Thirding what @Spectre01 said, there's barely any topic on Doomworld that interests me nowadays, either because I know nothing about a topic or I'd rather not get involved. I don't even play WADs anymore, I analyze them for completion. I look at what tactics in a map can be used, where the weapons are for pistol starters, where and how to get every secret, item, and kill. I even look for ways to beat levels in quick times as well. So yes, I'm not even playing 3ha3, I'm giving it an overall level analysis most of the time.

the club is great, 10/10

the only thing i find difficult is finding the time to post in it! :(

the problem with playing the maps and writing in advance is you dont get as much back-and-forth chat. i like when theres disagreements and discussions in the thread but that sometimes gets lost when everyone is posting roughly the same review (of course i am guilty of that!)

26 minutes ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

Five years, zero TimeOfDeath wads. Almost as bad as the cacodemon awards. Just saying.

"This map is rjsloth. You have the entire month to finish it. Godspeed."

Honestly, apart from Eternal Memories and Double Imp Act, do you believe there's a wad of yours that the average threadgoer would be able to follow for just several days? Expired License probably doesn't count, because it's too many maps, heh. That said, DIA should definitely get its chance under the spotlight (dohoho).

5 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

i like when theres disagreements and discussions in the thread but that sometimes gets lost when everyone is posting roughly the same review (of course i am guilty of that!)

It's true that there is often little back-and-forth discussions between members. I tend to write my impressions before reading what others thought about the map, so as to give an unbiased point of view, which ends up doing the whole "repeating what others have said". As far as ToD/slaughter stuff goes, I think something like SF2012 would make more sense for a playthrough and would be more fun for a larger number of people. I'm still voting A.L.T. until it gets picked though. :P

If you try to focus on and go in-depth about specific elements, it's unlikely you'll repeat anything anyone says. What's likely to be repetitive is general overview stuff like "This is a non-linear medium-sized map by Dobu that is a big difficulty spike from the previous maps. I really enjoyed the fight with the two cyberdemons, if you get hit by a rocket you'll be killed!!! Dobu is one of the most sadistic mappers in the world. The meme easter egg secret was really cool, but I didn't expect Dobu to like the Powerpuff Girls." It's usually safe to assume people have played the map and understand the obvious stuff about it. Sometimes you'll end up saying less if you trim that out, but that is a good thing for nearly everyone.