Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_Mud

Doom: Lost Alpha

Recommended Posts

I played this and enjoyed it. The detailing is modern but the levels keep that old-school feel about them. With the desks, chairs, lockers, bathrooms and corpses hanging around the place, it feels like a living, breathing place.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, _Mud said:

Break the long silence with a small gameplay video, because why not.

 

 

Glad this is not dead — Just looks great!

 

Is this gonna be compatible with gameplay mods as Doom Delta?

Share this post


Link to post

This looks very lovely! Have not seen this before, I think. Keep it up!

Share this post


Link to post

cool to see that map restored in alpha fashion.

haven't had much time myself migrating the original layouts and their relative maps onto compatible wads, plus there are lots that lack of enemies and I don't have the will to fix that part.

thanks for sharing and looking forward to see how this prohect is evolving!

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Moktar said:

Is this gonna be compatible with gameplay mods as Doom Delta?

No, because I make my mod specifically for these maps. But in theory, nothing prevents me from making a version with just levels, without a mod.

 

9 hours ago, Rathori said:

Kind of a shame that it's GZDoom-only, but still it looks cool!

We already made Beta Labs 1/2, which were made for the vanilla doom (Limit-Removing). So it’s better to do something for
GZDoom than something else for vanilla doom again.

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Gifty said:

I really like those dark silver nuke barrels.

Which are made on the basis of burning barrels from Doom 2.

FCANA0.png.ff202893df01d3cf17950718252a9052.png

And those, in turn, are probably made on the basis of barrels from alpha versions.

GBARA0.png.c94a99dac943531091ad80e9f7bc82b6.png

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, _Mud said:

We already made Beta Labs 1/2, which were made for the vanilla doom (Limit-Removing). So it’s better to do something for

GZDoom than something else for vanilla doom again.

Well, there's also Boom-compatible :P Anyway I'm still gonna play it, I just prefer to use PrBoom+ whenever possible. I guess that's the price we have to play for those slopes.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/11/2020 at 7:35 AM, Moktar said:

 

Glad this is not dead — Just looks great!

 

Is this gonna be compatible with gameplay mods as Doom Delta?

And although for now I do not plan compatibility with this mod - I would definitely borrow some things from there (which is difficult due to my zero knowledge of ZScript)

Edited by _Mud

Share this post


Link to post

you should update the main post with new content (screenshots, videos) if possible, i love the alpha based mods like this.

Share this post


Link to post

The only thing that throws me off is the slopes since the Alpha wasnt even capable of it lol. But otherwise this has alot of potential.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/13/2020 at 8:47 AM, MikeyScoots said:

The only thing that throws me off is the slopes since the Alpha wasnt even capable of it lol. But otherwise this has alot of potential.

Vanilla Doom does not support sliding doors for example, but if you look at the textures in alpha versions, they were clearly planned. And that’s why I don’t see anything wrong with having a little fun with the capabilities that UDMF provides.

Edited by _Mud

Share this post


Link to post

Carmack experimented with slopes during the Raven engine days, but they didn't make the cut for Doom. As a thought-of but abandoned feature, I find them appropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
Spoiler

I feel this could shape up to become a great Alpha mod to the likes of doom delta. Map design is pretty much far over what the doom engine could handle in 93 (floor over floor in the second map, camera feeds ala build engine games) but still retains that "Doom Alpha" mood well especially the lighting too. I like the new enemies and their attacks and how the alpha lost souls still have their "brain damage" attack but not feel so cheap since they use hitscan. 

Played the demo, Spoilered my small review on it. 

 

Im excited to see what comes next, this is a great start!

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, _Mud said:

Vanilla Doom does not support sliding doors, but if you look at the textures in alpha versions, they were clearly planned. And that’s why I don’t see anything wrong with having a little fun with the capabilities that UDMF provides.

I already wrote about this elsewhere. They was going to make them with animated sprites, but ultimately refused, as the bullets passed through the these doors.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, SLON said:

I already wrote about this elsewhere. They was going to make them with animated sprites, but ultimately refused, as the bullets passed through the these doors.

I know, but this thing remained in the source code, so it doesn’t count. And vanilla tricks too.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, DoomedFox said:

but still retains that "Doom Alpha" mood well especially the lighting too.

What in your opinion helps to create such a mood most of all? Just wondering.

Share this post


Link to post

I played the demo again not too long ago, and IIRC, there was a specific sound that played when picking up treasures. Is it still in the mod? It was cool.

Share this post


Link to post

In any case, what will happen to hell? I know from well-known maps (since there were clearly still some unknown intermediate revisions, apparently lost - such as the completed "techno-base" version of the prospective E3M3, before they (lazily) remade it "to hell"), they created only a crude layout of what will become E3M7, but still interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, _Mud said:

What in your opinion helps to create such a mood most of all? Just wondering.

How the alphas kept this slight realism while being abstract, you had rooms where you knew they were representing locker rooms/showers but then in the next few rooms over there's a massive room with a big toxic pool in it. While the final release went full abstract. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, mattjoes said:

I played the demo again not too long ago, and IIRC, there was a specific sound that played when picking up treasures. Is it still in the mod? It was cool.

So far I have removed this sound, because it seemed to me annoying. Maybe I’ll come up with something with him.

1 hour ago, SLON said:

In any case, what will happen to hell? I know from well-known maps (since there were clearly still some unknown intermediate revisions, apparently lost - such as the completed "techno-base" version of the prospective E3M3, before they (lazily) remade it "to hell"), they created only a crude layout of what will become E3M7, but still interesting.

I want to show it mainly only at the final level, because for me alpha is more about white bases. But I do not want to make it look like the hell that was in the release. I wonder if I can come up with something interesting.

1 hour ago, DoomedFox said:

How the alphas kept this slight realism while being abstract, you had rooms where you knew they were representing locker rooms/showers but then in the next few rooms over there's a massive room with a big toxic pool in it. While the final release went full abstract. 

I also like a darker and empty atmosphere. Although it was felt more in alpha than in my project.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×