Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Eagle Speedmapping Sessions 8 - Memesis (BETA COMPILAT)

ANNOUNCEMENT 

Instead of 6 AM GMT, the second session will be held an hour later, 7 AM GMT. Basically 9 hours from now. 

Damn, missed the today one due to getting quite pissed and going for a 2 hour walk, missing much of the session. Ah well, at least I'm not pissed anymore.

I should make it for the tomorrow (well, now today) session though.

THEMES
- Birthday cake in a secret (I'll be thankful c:) 
- No keys
- No more than 10 tags used

BONUS 

- a la Downtown (city like) 

I'm sorry. As I was writing themes my phone died so I had to charge it a bit so it can reboot. Sorry. 

Oh just in case you were wondering naza those are screenshots from the map I made in the first session, I'm not able to participate in this one

9 hours ago, Spie812 said:

Alrighty then!

M7XOH15.png

Title: Tek Gone Bad

Time: 3 hours

Music: Title Theme from Journey to Silius (Lunatic intermission music)

Theme: No keys (I ended up using way more than 10 tags)

The floor was originally supposed to lower twice, but I ran into some serious issues with that. Instead I did something a little different. Only tested with iddqd because I suck at Doom today. Hope you enjoy anyway!

tekgnbad.zip

Fun little map, pretty well balanced despite lack of "proper" testing. :) 

FDA: tekgnbad_rd_fda.zip

Okay so I made a map. It became a spiritual sequel to "Dead yet Dreaming" a k a that 45 second long map. At least I have two hours to expand on ths....

Download (v1): noisy_eagless08_v1.zip  (see later post for v2)

Demo: noisy_eagless08_v1lmp.zip

Name: no name

Music: no music

Sky: green sky from https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/rottskyp

Bugs: my sky is broken, and if i fix the sky then the cc4 textures don't show even when properly loading everything?

sky is in Texture1 lump, but requires cc4 tex which also has a Texture1 lump, so they clash instead of merge - it should look fine in final compilation.

Time: 3 hours exactly for everything.  Should be balanced enough

Themes: Cityish; I shoehorned a cake in there too.  ignored other two themes and just made a map kinda. (post analysis: i only used 10 tags exactly)

Edited by NoisyVelvet : demo; sky bug clar.

Title: March of Angry Boneheads

Version: RC1
Build time: 3 hours, including playtest

Themes: Cake in a secret, No keys, No more than 10 tags used (7 in total)

Music: "Lava Powerhouse" from Sonic Spinball, sequenced by King Meteor
Textures: Quoted from "The Kerberos Complex Texture Pack" by antares031
Sky Box: From "Mek's Box 'o Skies" by Mechadon

Click here to download

e - new version.

note: I changed the name of the map because apperntly I was a walking thesaurus without knowing it. Go figure...

Name: Among the soot

Time: 3 hours half an hour faffing about.

Themes: City + cake

Music:  Narrow_Sidewalk.mid by Glaice from folder "Original Tracks" in a midi music compilation.

v2
added a cake in a secret
added music.
added multiplayer weapons.
added multiplayer monsters.
tweaked ammo and health.

https://ufile.io/hk58i

Edited by NeedHealth

GET PSYCHED COZ DIS MAP'S GUNA WHOOP YOU'RE A$$ YO

Name: Constrained Liberty

Themes: all 4!

Time: 03:25, bleh.

Music: d_e3m3 from rokelek2.wad

USES CC4-TEX

https://doomshack.org/uploads/ConstrainedLiberty-bzzrak-eagle08.zip

(65 kb)

EDIT: IMPORTANT UPDATE (tagging @NaZa so that he can see it)

(I don't really like updating my speedmaps, but this one was so full of bugs that I just had to.)

changes:

fixed the exit teleport (forgot to actually give the lines action 97 LOLOLOL);

the lift from the water pit works now, thx NoisyVelvet!

some inaccessible monsters were moved to a more appropriate place (there was a room that you were supposed to get to, but I cut that part of the map when I realized I was wasting time, but the monsters stayed there);

lowered outdoor ceiling height from 768 to 640 (it looked kinda gay, now it's just right TM);

added some soundblocking lines (so that the entire population of liberty-ville doesn't camp at your front door);

made the crusher in the stone tower work more-or-less (apparently monsters can't trigger generalized switch-activated crushers???);

umm probably something else too

https://doomshack.org/uploads/ConstrainedLiberty-bzzrak-eagle08-V2.zip

Edited by bzzrak : update update update!!! download it if you have the buggy version!!!

I made a map too but I blew up the time limit. Fixing bugs and creating some game play took long.

Edited by dl_simc : (nodes rebuilt)

First 5 hour map, that's an achievement. I'll include it, but please be a bit faster next time. Title, themes, midi? 

Only 4 hours. Started one hour late. But there should be no missing textures and such.

title: Day in the office

themes: city centre, cake, 10 tags

midi, Memento Mori, MAP01

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qswppkze2xhzgti/eagle8_dl_simc_v2_%28new_nodes%29.zip?dl=1 (new nodes)

Rebuilt nodes. + Added multiplayer starts, named the wad file properly, adjusted skill levels and texture alignments.

Edited by dl_simc

Here's the updated version of my level. Thanks for the FDA, @NoisyVelvet and @rdwpa ! :)

Changelog

- Cleaned up the automap with secret and hidden linedefs

- Added difficulty settings

- Edited the hint to secret area + decorate the cake a little bit more

- Adjusted the final combat area

March of Angry Boneheads (RC2)

Thank you all for the maps! Tomorrow I'll take a day off, relax and eat those cakes in your maps :) 

I'll publish the compilation till Wednesday.

As I was downloading maps, I felt inspired to do a quick run through Eagle's history of mappers, and I found out that 6 mappers made 5 or more maps for these 8 sessions! That's a result in itself. These are: Forli (who made 7 maps), Pinchy, Walter confetti, bzzrak, Surreily and bonnie, the latter two also taking place in the first ever Eagle session, however not taking place ever after the 6th one.

35 minutes ago, Spie812 said:

FDA for Needhealth's map.

The map is pretty solid, but I don't really have any specific comments.

needhealthfda.zip

Thank you ! It certainly didn't feel that solid when I built it. In the next version, I am going to implement some music and an extra weapon in multiplayer. Probably also some extra monsters though I usually forget about it.

55 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Thank you all for the maps! Tomorrow I'll take a day off, relax and eat those cakes in your maps :) 

I'll publish the compilation till Wednesday.

Damn you for making me wait for this!

fda dump: noisy_ess08_FDAs.zip (complevel 9)

walter - cute and small slaughterly thing.
rektefire - pretty shabby.  layout was "wolfensteiny". but improvements over the last one.  keep it up.  bold move to start mapping via speedmapping, and I'm curious to see your slower, more fleshed out attempts for Nova 3.
forli - quick and dirty budget speed slaughter.  good.
spie - hmm good and short and spicy.
needhealth - pretty much just good.

noisyvelvet - slapdash arcthitecture, floodfilled green concrete wall.  i shoved a bunch of monsters into it until it wasn't easy anymore. i think it turned out okay.

anteres - those sweet, banding, candycane colored techwall looks good.  very visually stimulating.  tough start, easy middle, tense but easy ending.
bzzrak - janky but fun.  I save scummed past the berserk baron cuz i didn't want to replay.  I think the pit in the middle is inescapable because I couldn't get out of it (broken lift?).
dlsmic - award for best cake goes to DL_SMOMFDc.  also i died a lot here, like a lot (see demo).  hard map due to scarcity. 

rektefire - pretty shabby.  layout was "wolfensteiny". but improvements over the last one.  keep it up.  bold move to start mapping via speedmapping, and I'm curious to see your slower, more fleshed out attempts for Nova 3

Actually I didn't technically start out mapping by speedmapping, I made 2 other maps before, my speedmaps are just my first publicly released ones. I had started on a GZDoom centric map which technically is my first but I stopped working on it (for now anyway) when I learned about the speedmapping sessions

@therektafireIn my port, there are 2 teleporter cages which don't work. The texture on the side of the river steps are not correct. I think due to the time limit of speedmapping sessions, the map is pretty empty again. To be honest, I think Noisy's advice is pretty good, and this map can be a base to re-work into a better one. For now, it lacks everything.

note: I changed the name of the map because apperntly I was a walking thesaurus without knowing it. Go figure...

Name: Among the soot

Time: 3 hours half an hour faffing about.

Themes: City + cake

Music:  Narrow_Sidewalk.mid by Glaice from folder "Original Tracks" in a midi music compilation.

v2
added a cake in a secret
added music.
added multiplayer weapons.
added multiplayer monsters.
tweaked ammo and health.

https://ufile.io/hk58i

13 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

@therektafireIn my port, there are 2 teleporter cages which don't work. The texture on the side of the river steps are not correct. I think due to the time limit of speedmapping sessions, the map is pretty empty again. To be honest, I think Noisy's advice is pretty good, and this map can be a base to re-work into a better one. For now, it lacks everything.

Well i am updating it right now as we speak fixing the things you mentioned :)