Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadowman

Hellfire III

Hello!

Hellfire III (old name - Hellfire: School) is completed.
Wad contains 9 maps: maps 1-4 on urban themes, maps 5 - 9 on hellish themes. The format is boom, I recommend prboom-plus, complevel 9.
The story is this: initially the monsters captured the native school of Doomguy, and he must restore order. And what awaits Doomguy after school - see, playing this wad.

Direct link:

http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads/Boom/Hellfir3/hellfir3.zip

On idgames:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/hellfir3

Have a nice game!

Screens:

HF3Sch03.jpg

HF3Sch04.jpg

HF3Sch06.jpg

Edited by Shadowman : wad was updated

Very nice. Hellfire 1 is the one of the first custom WADs which I've played and I have a nostalgic memories about it.

New maps, cool! I actually forgot about this wad, now I can keep up with the series. It was very interesting to see your evolution with this realistic style in the previous wads.

Cool stuff, played through the whole thing and noticed that these levels are quite short, which I like. Gotta say those trees on MAP03 were quite annoying to get around but the setting of the whole thing was kinda cool. MAP04 was very neat.

LOL at the music from Nitemare 3D.

BTW, it would be worth mentioning in the text-file that it requires Boom features (-complevel 9). I had to come to this thread to discover that.

Edited by Grazza

I recorded my playthrough of map 1 and part of map 2. Partway through map 2 I ended up fighting a bunch of cacodemons shortly after picking up the red key, and when I died after almost exhausting my ammo I lost my patience with the wad and quit.

The maps are gorgeous and there is fantastic attention to detail. This is seriously one of the best-looking wads I've played.

But... The gameplay is atrocious, at least in the first two maps. It's pretty to look at but, for me, it was no fun at all to play. The monster placement wasn't fun, the health and ammo balance wasn't fun, the cramped layout wasn't fun. It's very easy to get lost, especially in the indoor environments, because there's so little distinction from one area to the next. The interiors are horribly cramped and it's a headache trying not to get hit by enemies when there's hardly anywhere to dodge to. And the dodging difficulty might have been less of an issue if there was more health, but the map seemed awfully stingy on the health pickups for how much seemingly unavoidable hitscan damage there was.

Also, the lighting  really got on my nerves. Who uses the glow or blink from zero lighting settings on entire rooms? It hurt my eyes and made it very difficult to navigate those rooms.

Thank you for the video. By the way, in the very first room you missed the secret :)
Yes, on ultra-violence you need to save ammo and play carefully. But you can put less complexity, if your game skill is not very high.