Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leodoom85

Painful Cave (Remastered)

Demo in 8 minutes and some seconds: paincave-uv.zip

I noticed you added a few extra monsters, and polished the armor+boxes in the cave, it looks better aesthetically. The hell knight at the end instead of a baron is a good change.

I recorded two more demos, one which just exits the map in 3:26, the other clears it in 7:33 but uses the sped-up chaingun from Disturbia (just the dehacked patch, not the awful graphics/sounds) to do so.

I enjoyed this map first time round: I am a fan of "to hell and back" maps where you have to first clear a techbase then journey to the monsters' lair to reclaim some artefact to allow you to leave the base and win. (UAC_DEAD, Outpost 21, cchest2 map07, 300minvr map10 to name a few others)

However on replay it seems to lose most of its value as cutting through all those monsters with the chaingun is a chore. It could well be renamed "Painfully Tedious Cave" :). I joke of course, but the point stands: I want to clear all the monsters, but I find I am more inclined to simply run past as many of them as I can get away with, because removing them takes too long.

Ok, I finally released the remastered map and the OP is updated. Try it now for more fun and guns!!!

Slightly related to this map because of the small end fight. What would it require to make Arch-viles resurrect corpses (i.e. enemies that are already dead on the map in the start)? Is it possible to do this with a mere WAD?

3 minutes ago, SP_FACE1 said:

Slightly related to this map because of the small end fight. What would it require to make Arch-viles resurrect corpses (i.e. enemies that are already dead on the map in the start)? Is it possible to do this with a mere WAD?

You basically need to set up a big chained cluster of barrels around monsters and have this go off early in the map. There are many ways to accomplish that. One vanilla approach can be seen in BTSX e1m6 -- a barrel gets crushed offmap, which explodes into another barrel, which crosses a teleporter line and ends up in the map as it's exploding, setting off the chain.

There's the way that rdwpa said. Another way is related to scripts if the map were made in UDMF. Thing_Destroy and Thing_Raise would be used for it :)

Solid map, though looking back through the comments it seems it was originally a chaingun-centric map? Because that would make it a lot more "painful." As it is now, it's a bit toothless; not that that is necessarily a problem, run-and-gun stuff is always fun for a quick play. Maybe I'll go back and try it with just a chaingun at some point...

I recorded my playthrough. Not really a first attempt since I played the previous version so I knew what to expect more or less.

The map is much more enjoyable now than it was the Chaingun only version. My only observation: The last fight felt underwhelming and actually the easiest part of the map, even easier than the BK fight right at the start; two single Archviles when you're carrying Rocket Launcher & Plasma in an ample area full of cover and no other threats won't be much of a problem, even if they have a field full of corpses to reanimate chances are they'll die before reanimating anything.