Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaxxoon R

Motivation of the Quake dogs

What do you think is the motivation of the Quake dogs? Do they attack out of some form of loyalty to their braindead soldier owners? Do they strike out of hunger and rabid, animalistic fury? Or is there some other motive? I like to think their emotional range was expanded to include the capability to feel contempt and hatred through the influence of Shub Niggurath, and they fight out of sadism and a desire for power. As such, their motivations are purely evil.

I just assumed that they're possessed. The fact that they're enemies is my least favorite part of the game. I absolutely detested hurting dogs in Wolfenstein 3D and I hated doing it again in Quake. For what it's worth, hungry dogs don't run around trying to kill people for food.

5 minutes ago, Poorchop said:

The fact that they're enemies is my least favorite part of the game. I absolutely detested hurting dogs in Wolfenstein 3D and I hated doing it again in Quake.

I've never understood this logic. If something is trying to kill you, regardless of what it is, you'd let it kill you instead of killing it first? Dog or not? I'm not saying I hate dogs, I don't. But I also don't get how some people get so antsy about killing dogs in video games or movies.

56 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I've never understood this logic. If something is trying to kill you, regardless of what it is, you'd let it kill you instead of killing it first? Dog or not? I'm not saying I hate dogs, I don't. But I also don't get how some people get so antsy about killing dogs in video games or movies.

Because, how could you kill such beautiful things? 

tenor.gif?itemid=4727829

In Unreal I'd always do everything I could to avoid any harm coming to the Nali Cows, Calves and Rabbits. Then again, I try to avoid even killing actual enemies that are shooting at me, so yeah.

Here's a horror movie:

These aren't sweet Earth dogs, these are demented hell dogs. If you feel bad killing one of them, you should feel bad for killing Pinky demons.

If anyone attacked my pet I would defend and avenge it just like family.

If an animal were to attack me I would harm or kill it as much as I would to a human who would do the same.

The same applies to video games. I don't understand why animals must receive so much more respect in a gaming industry where we slaughter people on mass.

The Quake dogs are so few it barely matters. Even if the map author tries to place them more consistently, there are always better alternatives against you (the fiends, hahaha). Finally, there are mods with highly competent helper dogs, attacking enemies for you.

2 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Because that dog is "normal" and isn't trying to kill me. One that is trying to is a different matter.

6 hours ago, Jaxxoon R said:

Do they strike out of hunger and rabid, animalistic fury?

Yes, I think so.

By that logic also dogs in wolf 3d are possessed imo.

17 hours ago, Nevander said:

I don't like the idea of killing dogs. I don't care if it's just a video game. In real life, I'd always try to subdue the attacker first. Dogs don't randomly attack to kill people.

Equating man's best friend to a pinkie demon is pretty nonsensical. One loves its owner unconditionally and does everything to protect it, and the other is some twisted hellspawn. Last time I checked, there weren't any documented cases of pinkies providing human companionship.

19 hours ago, Nevander said:

I felt the same way you did until I owned one, (a very disobedient one.)

Dogs don't have a whole lot of self control. They need guidance and they are extremely obedient, loyal and affectionate towards their leaders, to the point where they will do anything from loading your dishwasher to fighting competitively with other dogs with the right amount of discipline. So when a dog is attacking me in a game, I'm predisposed to believe that this dog doesn't really want to do what its doing on its own accord. It was trained to be vicious by an owner and by me killing it, its kind of nauseating because the dog just had bad instructions and it doesn't really deserve to die for that.

its just not the same as killing a fucking crazy maniac with a gun or some primordial interdimensional creature.

edit: to be clear, I still kill the attack dogs because its a game, after all. But I never really feel good about it.

Edited by 40oz

The whole plot of Quake, from what I understand, is that these demons were made by Shub-Niggurath (or at least were creatures turned by her).

From the end text: 

YOU HAVE BEATEN THE HIDEOUS SHUB-NIGGURATH, AND HER HUNDREDS OF UGLY CHANGELINGS AND MONSTERS.

They may not be in control of their actions if that's the case. It's already bad enough, then, that you have to kill any of those enemies. Dogs just add salt to the wound.

4 hours ago, Poorchop said:

Equating man's best friend to a pinkie demon is pretty nonsensical.

That... doesn't look like a man's best friend anymore.

One loves its owner unconditionally and does everything to protect it

Sounds great when the owner is you.

Last time I checked, there weren't any documented cases of pinkies providing human companionship.

Perhaps imp would be a better example.

What is the motivation of the player?

7 hours ago, Poorchop said:

Equating man's best friend to a pinkie demon is pretty nonsensical. One loves its owner unconditionally and does everything to protect it, and the other is some twisted hellspawn. Last time I checked, there weren't any documented cases of pinkies providing human companionship.

The Pinkies are first seen interspersed with the Zombies and will typically rush at the Doom marine who is hellbent (pun) on killing everything in his path so the Pinkies are both trying to stop him and take the damage first by rushing in, shielding the Zombies from taking the inertial shots. They also don't just up and attack the Zombies and avoid them showing a sense of loyalty, unless they are betrayed by a Zombie, in which case pretty much any animal instinctively would attack their aggressor.

The Zombies obviously love their bipedal canine companions too since they took the time to research camouflage technology and gave it to some Pinkies; since it was never perfected because the UAC scientists are crazily incompetent there wasn't enough energy to camouflage all of the Pinkies, so only the most honored and legendary Pinkies got their invisible tech.

On actual topic, besides the first time I shot a dog in Wolf/Quake, I never cared after that. They are rare and it's not hard to distinguish that they aren't a normal pupper.

That isn't to say I'm some masochist; 

Spoiler

The New Colossus definitely made me hug my dog instantly

7 hours ago, Poorchop said:

I don't like the idea of killing dogs. I don't care if it's just a video game. In real life, I'd always try to subdue the attacker first. Dogs don't randomly attack to kill people.

Do you get upset killing the zombie dogs in Resident Evil? Honest question. Because the dogs in Quake are not really dogs anymore. I imagine they have been reduced to their most rabid state and want nothing but to chew your throat out and eat you, much like a zombie dog. I could understand your empathy for say, the Wolf3D dogs like in your avatar, since those are just plain old German Shepherds trained to be attack dogs. But even still, what is BJ supposed to do? In a fight or die situation like he's in, it's him or the pooch. At least he won't let the dog chow go to waste.

I love dogs too btw, even though I was bitten directly under my left eye by one who attacked me years ago. It's funny this topic comes up because I was just thinking of something that happened to me a few months ago, some homeless guy's dog saw me across the street, and started to get very aggressive with me, and the guy was completely clonked out in his trash pile of beer cans, so I really thought I was going to have to stab this poor dog or something. Luckily my front door was right around the corner, so I backed away slowly up to it while gripping my knife. Not a fun situation to be in.

This reminds me of Vivisector, an FPS game from the same company that made Chasm: The Rift. Quake has a few zombie dogs scattered around. Vivisector has a whole army of all kinds of animals modified genetically and cybernetically. They're even fluffy. The fur was realized pretty well for its time, even if the rest of the graphics didn't quite meet the expectations.

I'm mentioning it because for those who found shooting zombie dogs uncomfortable, this game would be a whole new level. It also has a pretty elaborate model damage system - you can shoot someone's face off and see its cybernetic skull.

There's a cutscene where the protagonist finds one of such weaponized animals (a jackal, I think) that chewed through a power cable to stop... something, I don't remember what, and electrocuted itself. The hero sat down and caressed it, clearly saddened by the scene. Hard to imagine something like that in Quake.

The enemies in Quake are faceless hordes with bloodied mouths that you know are a lost cause. Dogs don't seem to be much of an exception. Even if they're just victims to whatever force is making them violent, the only thing that's left is to put them out of their misery.

I'm pretty sure the dogs are feral. Best case scenario they escaped their kennels and are living on their basest instincts. Worst case scenario is that, plus being badly abused by their new masters.

I mean, I worked at a dog kennel where I was the only male employee, where half the dogs had been abused by men. If I was lucky they avoided me, but usually they outright attacked me.

On 11/7/2017 at 9:51 PM, Anidrex_1009 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4727829

Because it is trying to kill you in the first place, duh.

Screw PETA. If a pitbull was eating me alive, I'd silence it.

3 minutes ago, DoctorGenesis said:

Because it is trying to kill you in the first place, duh.

Screw PETA. If a pitbull was eating me alive, I'd silence it.

If you are strong enough and you have enough guts, you could dominate a pit bull without having to "mute" it.

In real life, violence is always the last resort. In a game, they're not dogs. They are video game monsters that look like dogs.

They looks as bloody as the zombies. They are probably undead or possessed already, Kill or be killed! 

The fact Quake's Eldritch beings kill\possess dogs just like humans tell you they don't give a shit what you are, you are going to die once they arrive! Adds to the game's immersion.

Edit : Also if you don't like killing dogs then why are you fine with killing the poor humans that arrive right with them?! Both deserve getting killed as much as the other.

4 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

If you are strong enough and you have enough guts, you could dominate a pit bull without having to "mute" it.

Yes, because in a 1 on 1 life or death fight the first thing I do is try to tame and domesticate my blood thirsty opponent...

Seriously, sack up and shoot the not even cute monster dogs

Spoiler

Because spoiler alert, you can't fanny around trying to domesticate Quake enemies, it just ain't programmed next to the "fuck your shit up" code.