Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spie812

SMITA0 and Other Things.

SMITA0, (which is referred to as a "stalagmite" in Doom Builder) is replaced by a green leafy tree. This, has to be the worst replacement for anything in the game. The situations in which someone uses stalagmites are completely different from the situations where people use trees. When do people use stalagmites the most? I usually see them in three places: outdoor areas, caverns, and hell. Outdoors in the only location where both the stalagmite and the tree replacement fit, and even then only sometimes. In the other two locations, they look laughably bad and out of place.

Take this screenshot of Doom2 Map28 (using Freedoom resources):

bXnDs84.png

Or this scene in DTWID E3M2:

QwFhmul.png

Welcome to hell, where broadleaf trees prosper!

jMatEdL.png

Maybe the trees look fine in C1M1, but in most situations they are terrible.

Also, I'm getting misplaced cyan pixels in several resources. They don't show up when I open them in SLADE, but they do show up in-game (at least in every engine I've tried). Nvm that was caused by a custom palette.

Spoiler

F4NulhL.png

hIYM0cH.png

Edited by Spie812

I'm not sure about the first one, but the second one was taken near the starting area of D2TWID Map22

edit: oh yeah D2TWID replaces the pinkish colors with pure cyan so that explains that.

Edited by Spie812

"Welcome to hell, where broadleaf trees prosper!"

Freedoom logic, nothing else.

Edit: Serius now, actualy changing it may make freedoom maps get out of place too, we need to carefullly look it.

13 minutes ago, Xindage said:

Serius now, actualy changing it may make freedoom maps get out of place too, we need to carefullly look it.

Might it be possible to replace the green-leafed-tree-sprites with dead trees, that are visually compatible with original doom level trees and the rename the green-leafed-tree-sprites into afreedoom specific sprite name and then link the references in the existing freedoom levels to that in order to not destroy the optical effect, intended by the level authors?

Greetings

Funduke

It's not about like or dislike - but they appear like a sore thumb if a regular Doom map is played with them.

6 hours ago, funduke said:

rename the green-leafed-tree-sprites into afreedoom specific sprite name

Is that actually possible?

As I understand, vanilla Doom does not support custom sprites. Or am I wrong?

This is the reason why I think the style change of Freedoom to be less mystic/demonic and more of an alien/tech-oriented TC is not a good idea. If you want to play dark-gothic Doom pwads Freedoom is not a good Doom wad replacement as it is.

Imho, if it's supposed to be a stalagmite it should be a stalagmite and maps that assumed it's a tree should adapt to it.

The tree looks really good and it's a great asset for any WAD or TC that does not try to be a Doom compatible WAD replacement.

It would be great if custom sprites was a thing in vanilla Doom so Freedoom maps could have sci-fi assets and leave the Doom namespace with appropriately Doom themed stuff.

Edited by Ferk

2 hours ago, Ferk said:

As I understand, vanilla Doom does not support custom sprites. Or am I wrong?

Replacing sprites using a PWAD file presents certain problems in the original Doom engine, as all sprites must be in a single continuum between S_START and S_END; and any lump that does not respect the sprite naming convention found between these markers will make Doom abort on startup with an error message. This means that the PWAD must contain all IWAD sprites, even if they are not modified, or they will be invisible.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sprite

I'm no expert, but since we have a full set of IWAD sprites, I think we are allowed to add in our own.

any lump that does not respect the sprite naming convention found between these markers will make Doom abort on startup with an error message

Doesn't that mean that any new name that isn't part of the original names from vanilla Doom would cause it to abort?

At least that's what I thought it meant.

If it is feasible then the question is why wasn't it done before?

Freedoom has already additional textures, why not additional sprites?

Please leave the sprites named after the original Doom sprites as close as possible in theme and meaning, and leave the more alien stuff as separate sprites.

Edited by Ferk

41 minutes ago, Ferk said:

Doesn't that mean that any new name that isn't part of the original names from vanilla Doom would cause it to abort?

I am also not a real expert, but the requirement to follow a naming convention does not necessarily mean to be required to use preexisting names.

Greetings

Funduke

Depends on the convention. It also does not necessarily mean that you can use any arbitrary name NNNN.

I always assumed it was not possible since most iwads are either reskins or require a different binary than vanilla Doom. But it would be great if Freedoom can do this.

You could replace it with some sort of dead bush. That could work on both earth levels and hell levels.