Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gtsgreece

Photos that could be great Doom levels

I've thought more than once that modern art museums, with their minimal design, are Doom-friendly. This thread is great!

2 hours ago, gtsgreece said:

I'll probably get banned for this, but anyway:

why would you get banned for this

5 years ago, I was making a Doom 2 map located in the Azure swimming hall. Didn't finish it and don't think I will in future.

11.jpg

4 minutes ago, therektafire said:

But how would you make fireblu walls irl 😁

Get marble and paint it?

6 hours ago, gtsgreece said:

tumblr_oyal6yLMTF1qat99uo7_1280.jpg

This photo looks almost ready made to be in a Doom level. There are no slopes to account for and the ceiling even looks like a combination of two of the ceiling flats (I don't remember which ones) in Doom.

2 hours ago, ASD said:

5 years ago, I was making a Doom 2 map located in the Azure swimming hall. Didn't finish it and don't think I will in future.

theres a call of duty 4 map that has that in it

Anywhere in Russia. That's where Half-Life 2 took its inspiration.

I'd love to play doom in any of those areas! These photos are great for ideas, even if they can't be done perfectly in Doom.

@gtsgreece your pictures kinda make me sad, because barely anyone makes maps in that kind of setting/texture theme :/

The closest I can think of to that style is the last map of Bauhaus, which has some really beautiful concrete-ish textures.

https://www.lumas.com/pictures/jens_hausmann/modern_house_with_bassin/

This artist’s work especially the one I linked. I’ve been thinking about buying a print for a while but it’s at the price point that’s just too high to impulse buy.

I like this thread though, I totally get the vibe but never really knew if that was just a personal thing or not. It’s nice to know that whole concrete/brutalist/modern look is how people fill in the gaps when looking at Doom also, I always figure people project differently onto its low resolution forms. It’s a very abstract idea for a thread but I’m glad someone thought of it because it makes a lot of sense. Trying to explain what the game evokes personally by using concrete (lol) examples from outside the game. Like trying to coordinate if a color is perceived the same way by someone else or something

8 hours ago, gtsgreece said:

Sleeper in Metropolis-5.jpg

Maybe those stairs aren't as steep as they seem, anyway, steep stairs in Doom are not too great, since you can't look up and down, you can't see what's up or down the very stairs you're currently stepping onto.

2 hours ago, scifista42 said:

Maybe those stairs aren't as steep as they seem, anyway, steep stairs in Doom are not too great, since you can't look up and down, you can't see what's up or down the very stairs you're currently stepping onto.

good point, but the photos I uploaded have more to do with the general mood and atmosphere of a setting than the actual architecture they depict

7 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

TvfUVDT.jpg

I see this design in one old wad. I don't remember name of wad but on start you can see ocean waves.

Good thread but i'm little bit scared that more maps will be look similiar. Just my thought.

11 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

https://www.lumas.com/pictures/jens_hausmann/modern_house_with_bassin/

This artist’s work especially the one I linked. I’ve been thinking about buying a print for a while but it’s at the price point that’s just too high to impulse buy.

You don't say ? I think I found what I want to do in life, paint brutalist interiors and make them look like hausmann.