Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

How many WADs have you played?

Keeping a list of what you've played or tried is a very recommendable idea. Otherwise you'll forget what you have played and lose time testing levels again an again. I started keeping track of WADs in around 2010. So far I've reviewed 287 WADs. Half of those were so bad that I didn't play them through. So even though there's a vast amount of WADs ever made at least half of them should be not worth playing for me. Probably more because I'm mainly checking out "good" WADs that others have recommended or mentioned here and there. I hope some day I can dump my reviews on the new beta review page here at Doomworld so I don't have to keep a list myself. But there's no way to change the score yet which is important for me because I'm constantly adjusting the ratings the more I play.

Speaking of lists I'm trying to get back into Doom and re-play classics I've already played (years ago) in addition to new stuff.

I've only done Doom 1 so far, and only episodes or megawads:

Spoiler

1. Fava Beans
2. Back to Basics
3. Back To Hell
4. The Classic Episode
5. CRINGE!
6. crusades.wad, Issue 1
7. Deimos Deja Vu
8. Debut
9. Castle Phobos v3.1
10. dodead.wad (Dawn of the dead - beta 2)
11. Extremal Doom
12. Base Ganymede: Complete
13. ConC.E.R.Ned
14. Doom the Way id Did
15. Bijou Doom
16. Endless Torture
17. Heroes
18. Invasion 1.9
19. "Death in the ass of the Universe"... In fact, this is a improvisated title. 
20. NJ Doom
21. The Ultimate NMD
22. Switcheroom
23. UnAligned: 21 Days, 27 Maps, Zero Texture Alignment
24. Wonderful Doom (v1.2 / v1.3)
25. 2002 A Doom Odyssey - 10th Anniversary Edition
26. Doom: Damnation
27. Doom the Way id Did - The Lost Episodes
28. No End in Sight
29. Switcheroom: The Forgotten Maps
30. Vengeance
31. Favillesco - Episode 1: Genuflected on Io V1.2
32. Favillesco - Episode 2: Tragedy over Europa V1.1
33. Favillesco Alpha Episode 2: Desecration on Thebe
34. Favillesco Alpha Episode: Apostasy on Amalthea
35. F_Episode 2
36. Infernos
37. Not Another E1 Wad
38. Knee Deep in the UnDead
39. Needs More Detail
40. Needs More Detail II
41. No Sleep for the Dead
42. Incineration
43. My Ultimate DOOM episode: Death Tormention (V1)
44. Death Tormention II
45. DEATH TORMENTION 3
46. Planet Hell
47. The Far Side of Phobos
48. Phobos Revisited
49. Planet Phobos
50. CH Retro Episode (retroeps.wad)
51. Subversion
52. Slaughter Until Death
53. The Evil Unleashed
54. SERENITY v2.0
55. SERENITY II aka ETERNITY (v1.1)
56. SERENITY III aka INFINITY (v1.2)
57. Nihility: Infinite Teeth [Shareware Episode] v1.21

If anyone has any further suggestions to meet this criteria lemme know. :D

Between Doom, Doom2, and Heretic probably in the high hundreds, maybe thousands. I have no idea really. My earliest memory of Doom maps is my brother downloading levels from BBS on 56k. I used to download everything I could find and I had a few of those shovelware cd's for Doom and Duke3d. The first thing I would do was go through all the maps to see if they had any cool ideas, and if they were impossible for whatever reason I'd just clip around and look at stuff.

I stopped paying attention to new user releases in the early-mid 2000's but I would pop back in once in awhile, to see what folks in the community were doing in terms of level design. It blew my mind when Doom got slopes and true 3d floors.

I cannot recall the exact number, but it seem's to me on par to quantity of PAKs or pk4's (including Dark Mod maps), thus it would be approximately 50-70 WADs.

On 11/13/2017 at 4:35 AM, cyan0s1s said:

Speaking of lists I'm trying to get back into Doom and re-play classics I've already played (years ago) in addition to new stuff.

I've only done Doom 1 so far, and only episodes or megawads:

Reveal hidden contents

1. Fava Beans
2. Back to Basics
3. Back To Hell
4. The Classic Episode
5. CRINGE!
6. crusades.wad, Issue 1
7. Deimos Deja Vu
8. Debut
9. Castle Phobos v3.1
10. dodead.wad (Dawn of the dead - beta 2)
11. Extremal Doom
12. Base Ganymede: Complete
13. ConC.E.R.Ned
14. Doom the Way id Did
15. Bijou Doom
16. Endless Torture
17. Heroes
18. Invasion 1.9
19. "Death in the ass of the Universe"... In fact, this is a improvisated title. 
20. NJ Doom
21. The Ultimate NMD
22. Switcheroom
23. UnAligned: 21 Days, 27 Maps, Zero Texture Alignment
24. Wonderful Doom (v1.2 / v1.3)
25. 2002 A Doom Odyssey - 10th Anniversary Edition
26. Doom: Damnation
27. Doom the Way id Did - The Lost Episodes
28. No End in Sight
29. Switcheroom: The Forgotten Maps
30. Vengeance
31. Favillesco - Episode 1: Genuflected on Io V1.2
32. Favillesco - Episode 2: Tragedy over Europa V1.1
33. Favillesco Alpha Episode 2: Desecration on Thebe
34. Favillesco Alpha Episode: Apostasy on Amalthea
35. F_Episode 2
36. Infernos
37. Not Another E1 Wad
38. Knee Deep in the UnDead
39. Needs More Detail
40. Needs More Detail II
41. No Sleep for the Dead
42. Incineration
43. My Ultimate DOOM episode: Death Tormention (V1)
44. Death Tormention II
45. DEATH TORMENTION 3
46. Planet Hell
47. The Far Side of Phobos
48. Phobos Revisited
49. Planet Phobos
50. CH Retro Episode (retroeps.wad)
51. Subversion
52. Slaughter Until Death
53. The Evil Unleashed
54. SERENITY v2.0
55. SERENITY II aka ETERNITY (v1.1)
56. SERENITY III aka INFINITY (v1.2)
57. Nihility: Infinite Teeth [Shareware Episode] v1.21

If anyone has any further suggestions to meet this criteria lemme know. :D

Added the rest!

Spoiler

58. Thy Flesh - Turned into a draft-excluder
59. Return to Hadron
60. Return to Hadron Episode 2 - The Collider's new clothes
61. Alpha Accident: Terra Nova
62. Stranded on Erebus
63. cannonball's speedy episode 1 wad
64. Chubz Missions (Episode 1)
65. The Singularity Complex I
66. Double Impact
67. Distorted Memories
68. The Deimos Incident
69. Fernito's Phobos base (silly name, I know, but I haven't thought of an official name yet xD).
70. Absolutely Killed
71. Monument
72. Mapgame
73. Oblivion
74. PHOBOS: ANOMALY REBORN
75. The Parallel Dimension 1.8
76. Simply Phobos
77. Phobos Massacre
78. Doom Redemption
79. Terror Within: An E2 Replacement
80. Visions of Eternity

Now I really can't complain there isn't enough Doom 1 love to go around.

Not too much like other people from Doomworld (cause I am making wads myself), but played mostly megawads or "classic known wads". After completing each wad, I rate it in idgames/files section.

Edited by riderr3

Two to three mega-wads at max - I'm more interested in the style/elements of a wad(series).

After this I hardly care to play through the whole ordeal and rather invest time in seeing if I can incorporate style elements into my own or dismiss them. I remember the good old days where I bought CDs that were chock-full of dubious "goodies". In their defense, some of the worse looking maps were the ones with rather good playability.

If I had the time, memory and computer to hand, I'd probably be able to write you a list of at least 1000 WADs. 24 years of playing and making stuff for this game means there's simply too much to recall. The thing is, the more I think about this, the more I remember.

I mean, I probably reviewed 20-30 WADs for /newstuff, if not more. I've played:

All of the IWADs (although if Freedoom is anything like the version I played now, I'd be surprised)

Everything I've made or been involved in

All of the Community Chests, AV, HR, HR2, MM, MM2, KS, PRCP, all Scythes, about 3 Plutonia megaWADs, a couple of TNT ones, stuff like Fava Beans, DTWiD (although not 2), Serenity (and sequels), plus a stack of other megaWADs for Doom 2

Most WADs that I could find by Tormentor667, Enjay, Xaser, Wills, valkiriforce, Dutch Devil, eternal, Vader, 40oz, Memfis, Cyb, B.P.R.D. and other authors I decided to play the backlogs of

Loads of random single maps or small WADs, particularly in '90s, like Yakworld, Doom in Tibet, Hoover Dam, Brigandine (a recent example) and the Christmas Doom I took resources from

Strange stuff like the ZDoom 1.22 demo map, Night of the Homeless (and what that Kinsie turned that into), ZDoom Wars and resource WADs for weapons, monsters and items that were all the rage when DECORATE came out

TCs and sprite mods, like Goldeneye 64 and Wolfenstein 3D for ZDoom, Simpsons Doom, South Park Doom, Clinton Doom, Penguins Doom...

I could just keep going, as each section there omits loads of stuff. I trimmed my Doom folder right down at one point, as it was multiple GB and I reasoned anything I wanted could just be downloaded again, otherwise I'd check that for more.

24 minutes ago, Phobus said:

If I had the time, memory and computer to hand, I'd probably be able to write you a list of at least 1000 WADs. 24 years of playing and making stuff for this game means there's simply too much to recall. The thing is, the more I think about this, the more I remember.

I mean, I probably reviewed 20-30 WADs for /newstuff, if not more. I've played:

All of the IWADs (although if Freedoom is anything like the version I played now, I'd be surprised)

Everything I've made or been involved in

All of the Community Chests, AV, HR, HR2, MM, MM2, KS, PRCP, all Scythes, about 3 Plutonia megaWADs, a couple of TNT ones, stuff like Fava Beans, DTWiD (although not 2), Serenity (and sequels), plus a stack of other megaWADs for Doom 2

Most WADs that I could find by Tormentor667, Enjay, Xaser, Wills, valkiriforce, Dutch Devil, eternal, Vader, 40oz, Memfis, Cyb, B.P.R.D. and other authors I decided to play the backlogs of

Loads of random single maps or small WADs, particularly in '90s, like Yakworld, Doom in Tibet, Hoover Dam, Brigandine (a recent example) and the Christmas Doom I took resources from

Strange stuff like the ZDoom 1.22 demo map, Night of the Homeless (and what that Kinsie turned that into), ZDoom Wars and resource WADs for weapons, monsters and items that were all the rage when DECORATE came out

TCs and sprite mods, like Goldeneye 64 and Wolfenstein 3D for ZDoom, Simpsons Doom, South Park Doom, Clinton Doom, Penguins Doom...

I could just keep going, as each section there omits loads of stuff. I trimmed my Doom folder right down at one point, as it was multiple GB and I reasoned anything I wanted could just be downloaded again, otherwise I'd check that for more.

I admire that deep passion towards the game, and all the time you have dedicated to this and the community, I find it incredible.