Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LorD BaZTArD

First Technicality.

Right. Here we go.........

I was thinking about this the other day.

Someone Was Complaining about how games are not that fun anymore, basically They are all about graphics and that gameplay is AWOL.

Now thinking about this

With the "New" GPU technology, this finally means that the CPU can do other things....................

Now theoretically. does this mean that the old style games will come back?

Like Scorched Earth, Blocky Graphics....Terrible sound but it was REALLY FUN.
Alley Cat Goes here too.
Rockford as well (also known as Boulder Dash)

Can we Now have Incredible graphics and Virtual Realism
AND FUN GAME PLAY??????????????
I know a few games can pull this off.........but
I like nothing better than when bored to go and get an OLD game (OLDER than Doom)
And Play it for an hour or two.
Cool stuff.

Also, ON that, Are on board Video Cards Now out of date?
Or will they somehow be able to fit GeForce3 Technology onto a Mother board (I am talking a few years down track of course)
Or Will they Somehow Combine Them Both? Dual GPU/CPU sytems?

Oh well, time for Replies, (this is so huge they probably won't fit.............Heh heh

Doom's an old game, it has ugly graphics, it's a heckuva lot of fun. Heretic's an old game, it has ugly graphics, but it's fun to play. I think your theory is correct, sir.

Hey watch it, Heretic is beautiful and don't you forget it.

Beautiful? Ha, maybe for its time, but not now. Not by a long shot, and don't you forget it!!! :)

games that look ugly back then still look ugly. however, good looking games from back then may look old now, but the graphics still look solid. just compare doom to say, witchhaven.

and looks mean nothing anyways. just look at daggerfall. ugly, glitchy, but unbelievably fun and addicting. almost as addicting as evercrack.

Um... Alley Cat was written by a GENIUS (Bill Williams). Geniuses are rare.

That's one.

Think of a gold mine. When you just start digging, finding gold is very easy. But eventually all the easiest gold is dug out. Getting more gold is getting harder and harder.

Games are like that too. When personal computers appeared at the 80's, games were a totally new concept. It was easy to make good games, because any idea you could come up with was probably something completely new.

Not anymore.

Now coming up with a new gameplay idea is virtually impossible. They're all used up! Some are left, sure, but it takes a genius to find it. And a lot of money won't replace a genius.

That's two.

Also - and this is very important. Games are a SOCIAL thing. Back in 1984, when Alley Cat was released, many people played it. And that would make YOU want to play it too. People tend to do what other people do.

Now, if you start Alley Cat, you just might be the only person on the planet playing it. The majority of gamers don't even know about it. And the lack of interest discourages other people.

Same thing happens with any other game, it already happened with Doom, it will happen with Unreal 2 and Doom 3 and so on. "Games growing old" doesn't just mean the graphics are getting worse - they aren't. Graphics in other games are getting better, sure, but shouldn't the gameplay value stay the same? No, it goes down because one feels dumb when playing an old game - no one else is doing it!

And the games that are the public interest now suck, mostly. Why - because the public interest is guided by the buisiness corporations, by advertising and shit like that. It wasn't like that in the 80's. But now it's the reality - people will want to play what they see on the posters. Who cares if it got good gameplay or not?

And that's three.

Blah :-\

Let's not forget what in my opinion is the greatest CGA game of all time, Sopwith. I'm still addicted to that game, I play it all the time. Sure, the graphics suck, and there's only one level, which I've already beaten 80 gazillion times, and all that ever happens is that the game gets tougher, but it's extremely fun. Forget Zdaemon, what we need is a cs version of Sopwith. I swear, I haven't gotten to play it multiplayer, but I can tell that multiplayer Sopwith would completely rock!!!

Let's not forget what in my opinion is the greatest CGA game of all time, Sopwith. I'm still addicted to that game, I play it all the time. Sure, the graphics suck, and there's only one level, which I've already beaten 80 gazillion times, and all that ever happens is that the game gets tougher, but it's extremely fun. Forget Zdaemon, what we need is a cs version of Sopwith. I swear, I haven't gotten to play it multiplayer, but I can tell that multiplayer Sopwith would completely rock!!!

I'm working on a remake of it.

http://fraggle.despayre.ath.cx/stuffage/sopwith/