Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MasterRhan

Just finished Plutonia for the first time. Any wads like it that I can play?

I just finished playing Plutonia for the first time. It took me 4 hours and 40 minutes, and I played it on 'Hurt Me Plenty' with Brutal Doom v.21 (I used it because brutal doom's weapons have a faster time to kill than vanilla doom weapons. Every other time I played it vanilla I would always get ambushed by the wad's commando/revenant/hell prince/archvile traps and get killed.)

I also used the Ashley Carr (God rest his soul.) remixes from the Doomsday port.

Are there any wads like Plutonia? Last year I tried Plutonia 2. I liked it but the later levels became to much of a Slaugter. (Many enemies like a slaughetmap vs. Plutonia 1's carefully placed enemies, mixing of monster placements. and traps.)

54 minutes ago, MasterRhan said:

What about 'Plutonia Revisited Community Project' ?

Good, I really enjoyed its MAP25, for example. Supposedly, it’s closer to The Plutonia Experiment than Plutonia 2 was.

Yeah, the three main Plutonia-styled wads would be Plutonia 2Plutonia Revisited, and Urania and  in the general order I'd recommend them.

There's also Plutonia 1024, which is a bit different (extra small maps)

As for wads that aren't directly inspired by Plutonia, but have that same sort of gameplay style, I don't really know any off the top of my head.

Edit: Scythe, of course. Silly me.

Edited by Spie812

You can also check out other wads by the Casali brothers, and other one map wads such as Battle Strategy or Kamikaze Suicidal, which is a sequel to a PRCP map so you could leave it until after you've done that megawad if you want to. On the subject of mods, there's Final Doomer for a more appropriate and effective set of weapons (it's being updated soon, mainly for new classes but also for more universal things like how BFG ammo behaves, long story), and finally Plutonia Simulator in case you want literally any wad to be Plutonia.

To be honest... Play Plutonia again in UV may be a good choice, but I don't understand the difficulty problem in BD, so this says nothing.

7 hours ago, A7MAD said:

slaughterfest 2011 or 2012

deus vult 2 

sunlust

sunder

Plutonia isn't a slaughter wad at all, though. It's a bunch of tiny maps that punish the hell out of you with small monster counts.

I enjoyed Plutonia 2 a lot, but it's more like Kama Sutra than Plutonia, arguably.

PRCP is hit and miss but that's generally your best bet. Also check out these 5 maps by AD_79, they are very Plutonia in feel.

7 hours ago, MasterRhan said:

I just finished playing Plutonia for the first time. It took me 4 hours and 40 minutes, and I played it on 'Hurt Me Plenty' with Brutal Doom v.21 (I used it because brutal doom's weapons have a faster time to kill than vanilla doom weapons. Every other time I played it vanilla I would always get ambushed by the wad's commando/revenant/hell prince/archvile traps and get killed.)

I suppose if you want to stick with lower monster counts, giving the earlier hell-revealed (2) maps a look might be just fine. Since someone will certainly recommend it, Scythe II might be interesting. The earlier maps in Speed of Doom or Alien Vendetta could suit you nicely, too. It really depends on what you want in the long run, though. Resurgence might also partially work... However, all these sets do venture into higher monstercounts eventually, but that doesn't necessarily mean they qualify as slaughter, imo.

If you would like to not have to use brutal doom to get past Plutonia, and maybe try beating it on UV-difficulty, have a look around here, I'm sure you'll find some videos that may help you on your way through: DSDA on YouTube

Plutonia is a rare beast. It's hard, but in many ways very "fair" to put it generally (the semantics of it are difficult to explain)

IMO Scythe 2 by Erik Alm is the closest next step up from Plutonia. I might also recommend Vanguard by skillsaw even though its not a megawad. The maps don't look a whole lot like Plutonia but the difficulty and flow of gameplay are pretty close compared to most stuff I've played.

2 hours ago, 40oz said:

IMO Scythe 2 by Erik Alm is the closest next step up from Plutonia.

I would say Scythe 2 gets too slaughtery. But if that's OK Plutonium Winds is a good candidate too. It has the visual style, smallish levels but game play gets too heavy. 

Perhaps something from the 90's like Requiem and Memento Mori I & II, those include bits of Plutonia in some maps, as well as bits of TNT and the general idea of the two main iwads. They hardly ever exceed 200 monsters if I recall correctly. Aside from almost everything others mentioned, the Japanese Community Project may suit you as well, it's a tutti frutti in many ways, it has some maps in a Plutonia style. 

5 hours ago, 40oz said:

but in many ways very "fair" to put it generally

Can't really agree with this. The standard of fairness has been changed from time to time in my opinion. The time when Plutonia was out, some of the traps are not really fair at that moment, but things has changed quite a lot, so Plutonia now is a pretty easy WAD. Therefore, it became "fair", perhaps.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

so Plutonia now is a pretty easy WAD

I don't think Plutonia is "pretty easy" as a standalone. Unless you're implicitly comparing it to things like for example Stardate or Deus Vult II, which I would assume you did, but not to disrespect your comment, Plutonia can only become easy, the real meaning of easy, once you know it like the palm of your hand.

Plutonia certainly rewards knowledge of what the traps are and where they are. without that knowledge it can cause some headaches. That said plutonia has some one-trick ponies to it that I personally don't find "attractive".

Normally if you wanted compact-yet-difficult maps I'd point you towards CHORD, but I really don't know if the experience would be the same at all as Plutonia with Brutal Doom on HMP. If you were asking for something similar to vanilla Plutonia on UV, that's one that springs to mind, although it definitely bears more teeth.

52 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I don't think Plutonia is "pretty easy" as a standalone. Unless you're implicitly comparing it to things like for example Stardate or Deus Vult II, which I would assume you did, but not to disrespect your comment, Plutonia can only become easy, the real meaning of easy, once you know it like the palm of your hand.

Not really. I'm comparing it to Ancient Aliens or Vanguard like difficulty, but still, because OP is using BD to play this, the difficulty can't be actually defined because I don't play/like BD. Therefore, from another standpoint, there's no "fair" and "carefully designed" to talk about since BD is not the intended way to play the maps.

To be honest, the best way I could suggest to OP is like @Nine Inch Heels, play this on HMP or UV using vanilla settings.

46 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Not really. I'm comparing it to Ancient Aliens or Vanguard like difficulty, but still, because OP is using BD to play this, the difficulty can't be actually defined because I don't play/like BD. Therefore, from another standpoint, there's no "fair" and "carefully designed" to talk about since BD is not the intended way to play the maps.

Oh, I didn't know you were talking about Brutal Doom. Then yes, the OP should try Plutonia on UV without mods, if their intention is get better at the game. 

JPCP is a great wad. 

A wad that stands out for careful monster placement would be Bloodstain.  https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/bstain.  It has a custom monster taking up the SS soldier spot so it might not play well with BD. 

Another wad that fits the criteria would be the freshly released Dark Encounters.  https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/drkenctr

If you're a masochist Hell Awakened would be a good choice.  https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/hav2

These stand out to me for careful monster placement leading to brutal difficulty, which is what Plutonia was known for.  You could also go with any "plutonia inspired" wad like Urania for a similar experience I assume.