Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrazyDoomguy

Best hell map looking

uuuuuuuuuuu......tough question indeed. There are excellent hell maps in many wads that I can't choose.....unfortunately.

All down to personal preference. Personally I've seen enough red/black hell maps to be done with that theme, and I'd rather have different depictions of hell instead, especially in terms of colour scheme.

I think a good Hell map needs to be otherworldly and unsettling, and at the same time the player needs to feel they're in a desperate situation, trapped in a sadistic environment. Simply having a lot of lava and red rock doesn't really cut it. Though there's nothing inherently wrong with 'red' maps and I've enjoyed any number of them.

For me, the best Hell map is Mouldy's Insanity from Going Down. You can almost hear the author's sadistic giggle when 'that' happens.

13 minutes ago, Urthar said:

I think a good Hell map needs to be otherworldly and unsettling, and at the same time the player needs to feel they're in a desperate situation, trapped in a sadistic environment. Simply having a lot of lava and red rock doesn't really cut it. Though there's nothing inherently wrong with 'red' maps and I've enjoyed any number of them.

For me, the best Hell map is Mouldy's Insanity from Going Down. You can almost hear the author's sadistic giggle when 'that' happens.

He makes animated videos on Youtube under the name of Cyriak which are unsettling af :D

After Doom is a good one if you don't mind Zdoomisms. Major Arlene has a good playthrough. I'm not actually sure it was officially released b/c it controversially incorporates the entirety of E1M8 (quite effectively imho).

Insanity from Going Down is an interesting choice--I think of it more as a depiction of a psychological state than hell, but the two aren't necessarily so different (depending on your theology :p ).

Speaking of alternative hells, has anyone ever done an ice hell? IIRC, there's a long tradition of depicting hell as a cold, dark place rather than a fiery one. Dante's Inferno actually has Satan frozen in ice, for example.

The two "secret" levels in E3 from No End In Sight. E3M5 has that weird, threatening, abstract atmosphere, and E3M6 has excellent hellish visuals.

But these e3m1, E1M8 looks not so super hellish. No so much ambitiousness, not many details and to less monsters...

21 hours ago, ukiro said:

I think NDCP II map29 is quite nice from an aesthetic standpoint.

I hoped see some shock and action, but there no to see :/

23 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

uuuuuuuuuuu......tough question indeed. There are excellent hell maps in many wads that I can't choose.....unfortunately.

You can writte here all these maps :) I want watch this

Hard question because I forget some good levels for sure but the best that now comes to mind is Vulcana,map 25 from Whispers of Satan

On 11/16/2017 at 0:26 AM, Battore said:

Hard question because I forget some good levels for sure but the best that now comes to mind is Vulcana,map 25 from Whispers of Satan

did you ever play Vulcana 2?