Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Asure

What was your first anime?

I hope the title doesn't requires further explanation.

My first anime was Captain Tsubasa: Road to 2002, and this anime was the reason for I started liking football.

Edited by Spectra

There was this girl I had a crush on back in high school. The best excuse to start a conversation that I could think of was to say that I'm interested in trying this weird anime thing and ask her for some recommendations. She suggested that I watch Chobits, so I got home and got through like 12 episodes in one sitting. Watched it in semi-crappy quality on Rutube (Russian Youtube wannabe, not recommended), but I didn't mind because it was so exciting. That attempt at getting into a relationship didn't really go anywhere but I got a new favorite hobby as a result.

Battle of the Planets I guess would have the first, though I didn't have any notion of 'anime' as a child. It was just another kid's cartoon.

The first anime I watched that I was aware of being distinctly Japanese, would have been Akira. It had a limited release in Art Cinemas around the time I was at University, and I saw it with a bunch of friends. Though I wasn't strictly aware of it being 'anime' because at the time both Japanese animation and comics were both commonly referred to as 'Manga'. There was no distinction at that time.

So it wasn't until a couple of years ago, when I ran across an a strange cosplay on Reddit of a skinless woman (the female titan), that I actually consciously sat down and watched an anime for the first time. At which point I realised there were decades worth of these type of shows and movies, that were now effectively free to watch online.

Yu-Gi-Oh, i've seen a bit of Dragon Ball before, but the one that really got me into anime was Yu-Gi-Oh, the first 2 episodes, with the first episode being of my favorites of season 1, it also was what got me into the card game.

I watched a bit of SAO and AoT, but I honestly didn't get all the hype. Neither of them really clicked with me.

But the thing that got me into anime was the 2017 remake of Ghost in the Shell (does that count?). After we walked out of the theater, my stepdad was raving about how good of a job they did on it, and talked about the 1995 original for a bit. I eventually decided to take a look at the '95 one, and as a result I kinda ended up loving GitS as a whole.

If I were to nerd out about this: there are a couple of Netherlands / Japan co-productions I watched as a kid that were quite popular on TV over here. I think it's fair to label these as cartoons, but the animation was outsourced in Japan, while most of the character-designs, art-direction and story stuff was handled in the Netherlands.

I'll list some of them here, maybe some Americans have heard of these too:

Boes (Dutch title) / Ox Tales (English title) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470651/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Cubitus (original title) / Dommel (Dutch title) / Wowser (English title) / Don-Don Domel to ron (Japanese title)- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414728/?ref_=tt_rec_tt
Alfred J. Kwak / Little Duck's Big Love Story (English title) / Ahiru no Quack (Japanese title) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098737/?ref_=ttrel_rel_tt

My first anime was Speed Racer, but in those days, it wasn't called anime, but Japanimation.

Technically Voltron, but I didn't realize it was anime until I was quite a bit older, so I don't count it as my first.  The first anime I watched that I knew was anime was either Robotech or Project: A-Ko.

Actually, the more I think about it, I'm not sure I knew Robotech was anime either.  So Project: A-Ko is likely the best candidate.

Dragon, Dragon, Rock the Dragon, Dragon Ball Z

Dragon, Dragon, Rock the Dragon, Come get me

I remember this being everyone's favorite show, back in primary school. Watching every morning on Cheez TV.

I was at the perfect age when Pokemon & Digimon started airing over at the UK (7-8 years of age), so I was totally into those shows. I also really enjoyed Flint the Time Detective for some reason? I remember having watched a lot of it around the same time, although I remember basically nothing of it now.

A few years later, once I'd gotten the 'net around '05-'06, I was watching a livestream of Adult Swim with a few other people, and we were watching random shows. Most of it was pretty bleh, but this little show called FLCL aired. I had no idea what was going on for the most part, but it basically changed my life? I'd never seen a show like this, production and animation-wise. The soundtrack was so good, too. I found the rest of the series, and was on the road to becoming weeb trash immediately after I finished it.

Either Pokemon or Dragonball Z. On VHS. I was pretty damn young.

I remember seeing Frieza get cut in half and thinking that was the most hardcore thing ever for a cartoon lmao, it was my first taste of Dragonball Z.

My older sister was watching the subbed version of Osamu's Metropolis with her friend and I wandered in near the end. I was very young and couldn't read yet, so I had no idea what was happening or why I couldn't understand what any of the characters were saying. The scene where the cleaning robot is executed and the one where the tower is activated stuck with me for years.

When i was a kid in the 90' we had a tv channel that almost escusively broadcasted japanese cartoons, so i guess it's a tie between saint seya, dragonball, pokemon and yattaman. After that i didn't bothered with anime until recently, where i went in a watching spree because of the new dragonball episodes.

I grew up with Captain Tsubasa (the original version) and Dragon Ball but there was another really older anime that I can't remember the name. If talking about cartoons, He-Man and some Looney Tunes...

I'd seen bits and pieces of lots of things on TV before, but nothing really grabbed my attention until I happened to see Cowboy Bebop late one Saturday night in 2002. Cartoon Network was running an overnight marathon of the "best" episodes and it spoiled me on the entire ending but I was so blown away I didn't care or notice. The music, the cinematography and direction, everything was incredible. 12-year-old me had never seen anything like it and I was instantly hooked.

It didn't take long after that to start seeking out other anime to see what else was out there, but without the wide selection and instant availability of online streaming that we take for granted today, it took me a good while to find anything else that could live up to that initial experience. Evangelion and FLCL were the first two that did, I think.

I legit have no idea, its been so long ago. definitely something that aired on toonami or other anime blocks though, my entire family was glued to the tv during toonami way back when. Only specific memories are dragonball z, sailor moon, or pokemon, and frankly I barely remember any of them back then. Its been way too long. I started getting into things more seriously a few years ago, but that's cloudy enough too that I can't remember what I started watching first, though for the most part it was stuff that other people in one irc channel had been watching.

First anime I ever watched would be Pokemon (boring I know)

But the first anime I like >Actually< watched and finished was 'Another'... you know, where everyone DIES.

Tough to say, I wanna say dragon ball Z. I remember vaguely seeing it when I was quite young, and it was before pokemon had came out. I do think Toonami is responsible for a good bit of the anime boom in the U.S.