Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Asure

What was your first anime?

Demon City Shinjuku, technically not the first anime I'd ever laid eyes on, but the first one that grabbed my attention and got me to seek out other stuff.

Either Vampire Hunter D or Akira. I think I watched them both on the same weekend.

I think it was Project A-ko, but I'm not sure. Was interesting renting those videos in the 90s and not knowing that I was probably in for animated titties or other weird shit.

There was this crappy re-dub of Nausicaa entitled "Warriors of the Wind."

That was the first anime I technically saw.

When I really got into anime, via the anime DVD boom, I first picked up Rurouni Kenshin disc 1 and Vampire Hunter D (the first one). Back in 2000, Kenshin is still my fav!

First ever, that's tougher to remember, there were a bunch rented on VHS in the late 90s. For sure classics like Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, the Fatal Fury and Street Fighter II anime movies, and for series they had Blue Seed (underrated) and Evangelion, and some stuff like Tank Police etc.

2 minutes ago, PsychoGoatee said:

Tank Police

I always forget about Tank Police!  That was one I really liked back in the day.  I should track a copy down and watch it again.

On 11/13/2017 at 8:44 PM, DaIcemann76 said:

Voltron

We didn't actually get Voltron this side of the Pond, but I remember my dad bringing home a pirate VHS of it when I was about 6.

37 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

I always forget about Tank Police!  That was one I really liked back in the day.  I should track a copy down and watch it again.

Tank poliiiiiice. Feel the power that we've got. Tank poliiiiiiice. We'll give it our best shot.

Could be either Pokemon or Dragon Ball (or Speed Racer, actually, was it anime?), though at that time I wasn't aware of them being anime. I have vivid memories of the first time Pokemon was aired on TV, in my grandma's house in Uruguay, it was awesome, I told my mom to change to Cartoon Network so I could see the first episode. Mind blown, instantly became a fan of the show. From there on forward, I never lost any episode, seriously. My friends also became into it, we used to spend a lot of time talking about the show, exchanging picture cards was our hobby. No idea how or when I started to watch Dragon Ball, I never liked it that much, Pokemon was my thing and it's still nowadays, just the series, I mean look at my avatar.  

Aside from those two, other anime series I used to watch were Sakura Card Captors (huge secret fan of this), Corrector Yui, Doraemon, Hamtaro, Inuyasha (I still don't know how it ended), Samurai X, practically everything on CN, but those are the ones I remember the most. Oh good times...

My memory kind of blurs together western animation and Anime, so while I'm not too sure, I think it was Fist of the North Star. 

Of course at the time I had no idea it was considered anything other than just a cartoon, albeit a rather gory one with a lot of exploding heads.  It was only some time later I learned I was meant to make a distinction between western and eastern animations.

3 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Could be either Pokemon or Dragon Ball (or Speed Racer, actually, was it anime?)

Speed Racer way predates Pokemon or Dragon Ball. I think it is from the 60s and I watched re-runs of it as a little boy in the 70s. Either that, or was new in the 70s when I watched it. Maybe you're referring to that sequel/reboot that came much later.

Difficult to answer, I mean in my case it was Dragonball or Pokemon. The anime of Dragonball was very hyped by my classmates in the past. So I followed this hype and excited we told us each other what happened in the last episode and discussed what will happen in the next one. Good old times :)

Akira. Then I watched Ergo Proxy and Serial Experiments: Lain. I love all three of those but haven't found much else to keep me interested more than a few episodes

I think my parents showed me Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion when I was little, albeit I didn't watch for long because my mom quickly turned off the show at the hospital scene (Evangelion fans know exactly what I'm talking about)

Finally tracked the film and watched it a couple months ago, I loved every bit of it, especially after enjoying the tv show itself.

The old Naruto and Dragon Ball, both used to be on TV when I was a kid, on a channel that no longer exists nowadays. I was an avid fan of the first at the time, but could never get into the latter. However, none were actually responsible for sparking my interest in anime, that's something that came to be only much, much later.

Edited by Agent6

Hard question, especially with the billion of anime series that were broadcasted in Italy during the 80s, but I can say when I was very little, they told me I liked this thing: https://myanimelist.net/anime/4511/Hoero_Bun_Bun?q=Hoero

A anime i remember much more from my childhood is Magical Emi (that I quite hated it), Orange Road and my beloved Fushigi no umi no Nadia (known as the secret of the blue water).

The one show turns me into a generic otaku weeb is Cowboy Bebop.

For anime movies it was Akira.

On 14/11/2017 at 4:19 AM, AsianMammoth said:

Death Note. Never finished it, tho.

how did that happen? i couldnt stop watching once id seen the first few episodes!

5 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

how did that happen? i couldnt stop watching once id seen the first few episodes!

Same here, one of the fewer anime to catch my attention so hard that I can't focus on anything else until it's done.

I remember watching a bit of Dragonball when eating breakfast before going to junior high. I think I got to when Goku was exposed to a full moon and transformed into a giant ape monster. I also saw Ronin Warriors during a summer break, that shit was awesome.

My sister was into Sailor Moon, though. I didn't care much for it because "Ewww, girly shit!" I did have a chuckle when Google had the main character as the third result for "lazy underachieving 14-year-old crybaby". In the context of this forum, it reminds me of one guy who had a serious hard-on for one of the characters (Jupiter, I think) and would somehow steer a conversation into how he wanted her as a waifu.

Pokemon doesn't show up on my radar, not even the mobile game from a year ago. But when it first came stateside, I hated how overexposed it was. It was everywhere, especially in high school. I didn't care much for the games (or turn-based RPGs in general), but I always cringed at how the anime mimicked the games by having the trainers call out the attacks.

Full Metal Alchemist was the only anime I ever completed. I caught a few episodes of it on Toonami around 2004-ish, when Ed and Al first encounter Scar. It was compelling to watch, but I didn't keep up with it until a few years later. I was visiting my sister and brother-in-law for about a week and I happened to notice about a dozen volumes of the translated manga on the bookshelf among the Xbox 360 games. I plowed through the volumes within a few days and eventually the whole series, as well as the Brotherhood adaptation. I don't think I ever watched the first one as I heard it diverged significantly from the manga while it was still being written.

Man, all this reflection has made me realize how weeaboo-ish my brother-in-law is. He listens to the soundtrack from Cowboy Bebop when studying, his car's license plate refers to a Gundam type, he plays weekly matches of Yu-gi-Oh with his friend, all of his online handles have Gundam in it, even has a goddamn mall ninja katana on his bookshelf and a copy of that giant sword from FF7 next to it.