Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AleksB

Does anyone play besides bots?!?!?!

Hey guys,

I was just playing doom online and I use Zdeamon and Doomseeker and came to realize that all I mainly play with is bots!  Does nobody play anymore????  If you guys still play, Please lwet me know cuz I would love to do some deathmatch and coop on the old classics!  Bots are annoying and boring lol

Hey, there are still a lot of people playing daily. ZDaemon isn't compatible with Doomseeker, but it does have it's own browser which you can sort by player count. With Doomseeker you can use Zandronum and Odamex for access to even more servers. Any questions feel free to ask!

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

Hey, there are still a lot of people playing daily. ZDaemon isn't compatible with Doomseeker, but it dies have it's own browser which you can sort by player count. With Doomseeker you can use Zandronum and Odamex for access to even more servers. Any questions feel free to ask!

I was just playing a deathmatch with you not too long ago lol.  Or someone had your same name lol

24 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Hey, there are still a lot of people playing daily. ZDaemon isn't compatible with Doomseeker, but it dies have it's own browser which you can sort by player count. With Doomseeker you can use Zandronum and Odamex for access to even more servers. Any questions feel free to ask!

Seems like nobody is playing on odamex :(

Yeah Odamex is the quietest of the 3, ZD is in the middle and Zand is quite popular. I DM a lot so it probably was me!

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Yeah Odamex is the quietest of the 3, ZD is in the middle and Zand is quite popular. I DM a lot so it probably was me!

Does Zandronum have its own servers, or does it run through doomseeker?

Like other people here I would suggest using IDE or Doom Explorer instead of Doomseeker. Although ZD isn’t as active as it used to be, it is still possible to find CTF/duels and deathmatchs. I would suggest learning how to use IRC. Also, look for American duel servers. When you sit in a duel server by yourself in ZD

it will send an irc message to the main chat room to let people know you’re waiting for an opponent.

On 11/15/2017 at 7:58 PM, Decay said:

Doomseeker is.... not very good.

Could you be more specific?

21 hours ago, Decay said:

Zdaemon not included because closed source paranoid looney dev hmm jajas xd

In more technical terms: The ZDaemon devs specifically worked to prevent Doomseeker (which that site uses to collect information) from querying their servers.

1 hour ago, Blzut3 said:

Could you be more specific?

1) doesn't actually work most of the time

2) the interface is pretty unseenly, i can't make specific criticisms on this atm because of #1

3) the demo management system blows, need to put in more effort than necessary to playback a demo

4) the default directories should be where the iwads are, not in oblivion

5) the default directories for testing builds of zan should be created in the same folder zan itself is in (method IDE uses), not in the lost realms of your computer

6) why it called doomseeker when it shows servers for games that aren't doom?

7) the IRC function looks like an after thought "meh let's stick this tiny-ass window down at the bottom nobody can see and you need an ultra powerful magnifying glass to read" like why bother, you might as well just have a separate download for a better program

1 minute ago, Decay said:

5) the default directories for testing builds of zan should be created in the same folder zan itself is in (method IDE uses), not in the lost realms of your computer

1 minute ago, Decay said:

I agree with this statement

1 hour ago, Decay said:

1) doesn't actually work most of the time

Are you not getting responses to queries or something else?  In the former does using the "Cautious" query speed fix the issue?  Doomseeker works fine on every network I've tried it on so whatever the issue may be it's going to be a drawn out process to debug it if someone is willing to help.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

3) the demo management system blows, need to put in more effort than necessary to playback a demo

Doomseeker tracks meta data so it should be just a matter of selecting a demo and pressing the play button.  If not then there's a bug.  Again specific criticism on how it can be improved would go a long way.  Telling me it sucks doesn't provide anything actionable/constructive.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

This doesn't work on everyone's system.  On Windows for example if the game is installed in Program Files then it will not work if we default there.  We chose defaults that should work for users 100% time since most users will never look at the configuration dialog.  This is something we learned the hard way early on since people were installing Skulltag in Program Files.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

Ditto.  Also if you're a power user that cares about micro managing your file system why is changing the setting so difficult?  It's not like we reset your settings on updates.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

SRB2 is based off Doom Legacy so it pretty much qualifies.  Turok 2 was contributed by Edward850.  In any case if you don't need the plugins just delete the dlls.  Doomseeker will not reinstall them automatically so I'm not sure why anyone would complain about this.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

7) the IRC function looks like an after thought "meh let's stick this tiny-ass window down at the bottom nobody can see and you need an ultra powerful magnifying glass to read" like why bother, you might as well just have a separate download for a better program

Drag the "tiny-ass window" on top of the server list and enjoy your tabbed interface.  Flexible docking has been there since the beginning and we even show this on the screen shot on the homepage.

Default positioning was designed after Doom Connector/Skulltag Online.

11 minutes ago, Blzut3 said:

This doesn't work on everyone's system.  On Windows for example if the game is installed in Program Files then it will not work if we default there.  We chose defaults that should work for users 100% time since most users will never look at the configuration dialog.  This is something we learned the hard way early on since people were installing Skulltag in Program Files.

While you're right to pick the safest answer, you could actually make this smart. Write-test the IWAD directory first when/if unconfigured, and if that fails, then default to wherever it currently does.

Edit: Wait you can't do that either, due to the virtual storage redirection. Perhaps maybe bringing up a dialogue to choose the write location for the first thing downloaded if the setting is unconfigured?

11 minutes ago, Blzut3 said:

Turok 2 was contributed by Edward850.

My answer would have been Kex is related to the Doom community. :P

I've been wondering, what exactly is the point of including Turok 2? Did Nightdive add some sort of unfinished multiplayer aspect in T2?

I think there are still a lot of veteran Doom fans playing, here you can easily find them, maybe if you try to play the multiplayer randomly you will not end up finding many people, but here, there is almost always a great multiplayer event or daily games.

2 hours ago, Pyrolex said:

I've been wondering, what exactly is the point of including Turok 2? Did Nightdive add some sort of unfinished multiplayer aspect in T2?

Huh? Turok2 always had multiplayer, two different versions in fact. N64 had 4 player splitscreen with unique weapons, the original PC version had 16 player online using a remix of the singleplayer sandbox. EX has a remix of both existing assets with dedicated and listen server support. Heck, multiplayer was one of the key selling points of the N64 version, and is what resulted in RageWars.

"Why was multiplayer added to a game that has multiplayer" is a bit of a weird statement, so I'm kind of hoping you've simply got your games confused here.

Edited by Edward850

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Huh? Turok2 always had multiplayer, two different versions in fact. N64 had 4 player splitscreen with unique weapons, the original PC version had 16 player online using a remix of the singleplayer sandbox. EX has a remix of both existing assets with dedicated and listen server support. Heck, multiplayer was one of the key selling points of the N64 version, and is what resulted in RageWars.

"Why was multiplayer added to a game that has multiplayer" is a bit of a weird statement, so I'm kind of hoping you've simply got your games confused here.

Actually, I remember hearing from a friend that the Turok series had this weird history with unintentional multiplayer (but now I know that friend didn’t have their facts straight), except for Rage Wars.

I never looked at the N64 original because I heard it had really weird controls, and that the original PC port was beyond terrible, so I waited until it was released on Steam to play it. 

Now that I think about it, I think I recall seeing a “multiplayer” option on the main menu. I don’t generally play MP in games, but I have Zandro installed just for those rare moments when I do. 

What the friend was thinking of was the accidental co-op mode of Turok 2 on the N64. It was possible to break out of the multiplayer sandbox so to speak and end up spawning in the single-player levels with two players active, subject to some severe bugs. This was unintentional and was even patched out of the v1.1 ROM release (the somewhat rare Turok 2 gray carts).