Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xindage

Map11 - Feedback post

I finnaly have finished the layout of map11 and i want to discuss whit us good fights and stuffs for balancing the map for a final release, from what i remenber i cant use big spider in this map too, so lets discuss.

Note: i dont applyed any balance near the end of map, good luck. (if the sczar want to control the balance of the map i'm fine too so i can record a demo of it spoiling all secrets)

map11_p1.zip

Some screenshots of the finished area, ignore the sky glitch you cant reach this places of i'm whitout noclip and look a boat.

Screenshot_Doom_20171116_105341.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171116_105352.png

Edited by Xindage

Just tested your map on HMP with ZDoom, it's a bit long so UV (and HNTR if you want) will come later.

I kinda liked some stuff and some other things could be upgraded. For instance, fights are in general on the low pressure, but then things like the massive spam of stealth worms, or the horde of dark soldiers in the same area provided some alternative fun battles. I liked the YK teleport ambushes since some infight can be setup. The assault tripod placement seems ok, I've seen it many other times in freedoom 2, but it's still a good spot to deny grabbing the polaric energy canon (thanks wiki for the names) easily. On the other hand, the large technospider left little impression, the area is way too big (I know spiders occupy a lot of space) and there's plenty of cover. To upgrade it, I propose you put bars blocking the entrance, and some flying enemies to teleport in, preferably deadflare balls, nothing that could possibly stun the huge monster via melee. On the sides, it would be better if you remove the pain lords that block the switches or replace them with dark soldiers. Finally, once both switches are pressed, the previous bars raise and, you could add a lift or stairs to return to previous parts in case the player wants to find missing secrets.

As for balance and stuff, unless there was an angle grinder or a berserk pack in a secret, ammo is really tight, and there's a lot of meat that could be dispatched with melee weapons to save ammo. At the end, I ended up with only a few cells and two shells. I found 4 secrets, the three backpacks and the megasphere in the start room. Also found 2 hidden switches that I had no single clue of what they did, but seemed not to be related to the four secrets I tagged.

Bug related, the door/lift behind the large technospider did not open, no matter what I did. Had to idclip to continue. 

So that's all for now, I'll try the other skills later and hopefully provide more feedback. 

The way until yellowkey is just to warm up so i can conside it whit low pressure but i'll check the other battles after it.

So about the red key fight whit the cyber was a good one, maybe i'll have to rethink the others monster placement.

"To upgrade it, I propose you put bars blocking the entrance" this one confused me ???

Probably i'll remove spider and try something else whit mancuby & caco fight.

about the backtrack i planed do it but i acidentaly forgot finishing it, my bad.

About the 2 secret switchs they actuady do a thing near a teleport where you fins the last switch, but the're 3 hidden around the map, find them and bfg is granted.

ok i'll check the bug, i'll provide a new version soon, ty for the testing helped a lot.

On 29/11/2017 at 11:18 AM, Xindage said:

"To upgrade it, I propose you put bars blocking the entrance" this one confused me ???

Probably i'll remove spider and try something else whit mancuby & caco fight.

You can trap the player by putting bars that lower instantly here:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20171205_011059.png.83d9c97985ce603d8b9f0e4a5f753897.png

So there's more limited space, and you don't need to remover the spider, but add more monsters, flying ones maybe.

On 29/11/2017 at 11:18 AM, Xindage said:

About the 2 secret switchs they actuady do a thing near a teleport where you fins the last switch, but the're 3 hidden around the map, find them and bfg is granted.

Hmm, not sure if the BFG secret should be near the exit, as it's by then useless, but I'll check later. 

bfg secret is just that hard because its too early to give it too, otherwise gg izi the next maps after it, also taking it you can still use it to beat the final fight near exit (i still dont finished the final part in outside yet) i was looking for feedback to balance everything before doing the final fight.

Edit: And waiting for a day when i take motivation and do this, the job is consuming me...

I just tried this on HMP, galileo is right about the ammo balance. As for bugs the only one I found (besides the door in the spider room) was a tutti frutti on the stairs to the right of the red key.