Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

The most prestigious records

Which records do you consider the most prestigious? Is it the Doom 2 UV-Speed after all? Or anything that belongs to Compet-N? Do Map01 demos in megawads "weigh" more because these are the first maps you see? Or is it all about the map difficulty, which would make nochance one of the most important wads? Talk about your preferences here.

For me the first thing that comes to mind is Hell Revealed Map24, since it is like the most iconic slaughtermap. Surprisingly, Belial's record is 10 years old now... Also I have to admit I'm definitely guilty of focusing on Map01s too much. :) New demos on Compet-N wads are also very likely to get my attention because of their status and since there is already a lot of extremely optimized stuff. Also I really care about certain classics like the Vrack levels or the Chord series. And, of course, 2002ADO!

For me, 30nm stands clearly above everything else. There's also something special when someone accomplishes any difficult undone task, of course.

Otherwise, it all depends on the specifics of the demo itself. A really good runner can make something amazing out of even the most humdrum task. And a new trick is always cool.

30nm for me as well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any other category has had as much competition in terms of effort and maybe even demo count. It was afterall what got me interested in doom speedrunning :)

Also I always feel the first map is more special, especially e1m1 and lv01, so iwads and the first levels.

Perhaps I'm too old to answer this question correctly.  Or perhaps, from what I've read in your posts, that you and I have very similar DOOM tastes, so maybe my opinion isn't very useful or interesting.  Prestigious is sometimes different than actually being worth that prestige.  At one time, long ago, full maxdemos and nightmare were considered an accomplishment.  Personally, I think DOOM2 Nightmare 100% secrets(Map01-Map30) is the most prestigious accomplishment.  Even though, I would expect that other, already accomplished, demos are actually harder to complete.  XitVono comes to mind; I'm sure he spent more time on some Requiem nightmare individual levels than he did on his 30nm run.

The word prestige indicates an audience with an opinion and perspective... therefore certain accomplishments that were deemed extremely hard or impossible have gained the most prestige in DOOM's history.  Millions of people played DOOM... and nightmare mode seemed impossible to almost all of those people.

The recent deluge of slaughtermap-filled wads have also gained some prestige; although, some are visually daunting(facing 20 Cyberdemons at once), but are easy to complete due to the actual danger-level to the player.  In short, NO ONE can know how difficult a particular demo is until you try it yourself.

As an individual player, and I guess in life too, I am only impressed by the things that I can't do myself.  In DOOM, over the years, this has been a very long list.  :)   

Personally I prefer 30uv to 30nm. Not only because it's faster but because the utter mastery is more apparent. In 30uv1848 there isn't even a single "close call" where ZM almost died, and his health is almost never below 50%. I prefer to watch demos that seem almost effortless and make the game look like a chump rather than ones where it's clear that it required a huge amount of luck to pull off successfully (i.e. nm30).

7 hours ago, ZeroMaster010 said:

30nm for me as well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any other category has had as much competition in terms of effort and maybe even demo count.

Really? I thought the movies (30nm and 30uv) were not that competed, except now as you and elim are around :-)

On the IWADs, for me the most prestigious record is the Episode 1 UV speed run. I think because there are so few tricks for it and runners have to be good at monster slaughter and evasion to get a good time. That run is the closest we have to speedrunners vs the game id originally designed, as opposed to squeezing through 32-unit gaps and cutting out 90% of the level.

On the PWAD side I always regard any new Scythe record very highly, as the wad is so well built for speedrunning and it's already seen an enormous amount of competition.

Actually also I think the Doom2 30UV Max is a milestone run, there's nothing else really like it.

Although it is not heavily competed against I believe the most "prestigious" record is doom2 all UV-Max. Something about taking down the original game by killing all monsters and accessing all secrets rings prestige.

Prestigious?  30uv and 30nm, quite.  But mind-boggling for me are and will always be many pacifist demos, most of all doom2 map2 (Zero-Master) and doom2 map17 (Looper).

This is quite subjective, but I really like the Tyson demos on maps that were obviously never meant to be played Tyson-style. Even though I've seen authors of such demos say in the text file: "There are some slow moments," I can still get joy out of watching those parts along with the more action-filled parts because of the amount of skill needed to pull off some difficult fights (or even strategic setups). I think the amount of work and creativity needed to come up with a good route/strategy for tackling the map, as well as needing luck to survive, makes it a rough journey for the speedrunner, and it's something to be congratulated for once the demo is made, for sure.

Also, I think it's amazing when new tricks are discovered, and/or tricks are applied to maps where their use has gone unnoticed for a long time.

On 18. 11. 2017 at 10:08 PM, 4shockblast said:

There's nothing that even comes close to the prestige of the thissuxx UV-Max D2ALL record.

I take it you've missed the glorious Killing Adventure UV-Max D2ALL record, but that's fine and all, I'm generous so I'm willing to give you an opportunity to change your mind, this time without any repercussions.