Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Ion Fury, a new Build Engine game out now.

FPS prequel to the poorly received Bombshell, an isometric shooter from Interceptor Entertainment

eh

A new team called Slipgate Studios was founded earlier this year with many of the same team members.

ehhhhh

5 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

eh

ehhhhh

To put some ease back in, this is made by longtime Duke3D modders and EDuke32 devs; while it is related to the other Bombshell game, it isn't actually the same developers; in fact, the main artist is Cage

There's a reason it's called Ion Maiden and not Bombshell: The Prequel or something

I didn't really follow much of what was in the opening post (never heard of Bombshell), but damn those weapon sprites are tasty!

Every screenshot of this that I've seen looks amazing. Cage's artwork is beyond incredible, and the architecture looks 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍  as well.

Just now, Linguica said:

My only complaint is that it's not a new commercial Doom-engine game.

Yes, that would make it better. IMO build engine games feel a bit off/weird.

1 hour ago, Manuel-K said:

Yes, that would make it better. IMO build engine games feel a bit off/weird.

I don't agree. Build engine games allow for better environmental interactions and set pieces, which is something that these games are often known for. I also find that Build engine games lend themselves better to platforming sections. I'm not saying that either engine is better than the other, but for what they're going for it looks like they made the right choice. 

20 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I don't agree. Build engine games allow for better environmental interactions and set pieces,

Correct, but the engine is still a bit too buggy for my taste.

21 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I also find that Build engine games lend themselves better to platforming sections

Really?

I consider the jumping physics one of the weakest points of the engine. It feels very weird – both the jump height and the air control. It's definitely no Quake/Quake3/Super Mario/Jazz Jackrabbit level of nice jumping and IMO worse than Doom's vanilla platform to platform running.

Game looks tremendous, looking forward to it! On jumping in Duke and whatnot, I like it. And in general I love the engine, but there have been many a post on here about that. And eDuke32 in particular has done good work on it.

And on the software mode post, I think the screenshots are actually not in software mode, it'll be on eDuke32's source port renderers which is like the GZDoom of Duke. Software mode is an option though, at least in eduke in general. And whichever way it's rendered, I do love that pixel art.

Edited by PsychoGoatee

2 hours ago, PsychoGoatee said:

And on the software mode post, I think the screenshots are actually not in software mode, it'll be on eDuke32's source port renderers which is like the GZDoom of Duke. Software mode is an option though, at least in eduke in general.

It's correct that these screenshots are not taken in the software (called "Classic" in EDuke32) renderer. Although software mode is supported, the default video mode will be the Polymost OpenGL renderer for performance reasons.

I really like the outdoor enviroment (first photo).  I'm looking foward to it!

13 hours ago, Ajora said:

I don't agree. Build engine games allow for better environmental interactions and set pieces, which is something that these games are often known for. I also find that Build engine games lend themselves better to platforming sections. I'm not saying that either engine is better than the other, but for what they're going for it looks like they made the right choice. 

Doing any sort of platforming with the Build engine's warping view is a nightmare when platforms are located above you. What made navigation such a breeze in Duke 3D was the inclusion of the jetpack, IMO.

15 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Doing any sort of platforming with the Build engine's warping view is a nightmare when platforms are located above you. What made navigation such a breeze in Duke 3D was the inclusion of the jetpack, IMO.

I'm pretty sure the warping view was a consequence of being software rendered. ZDoom has a similar thing with its mouse aim.