Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Ion Fury, a new Build Engine game out now.

On 11/3/2018 at 5:00 PM, Player Lin said:

Yes, for official Duke3D levels, Polymer would works fine, but if you try something that will emitted a lot of lights like a lot of fire/lights/explosions or the map/level just so complicated(like Duke Nukem Eternity, it also have lot of lights/fires on its first few levels), then the polymer will choke and make your fps so low for sure, it just the renderer needed some optimizations, but lack of whoever capable to make it happen.

The city level in the IM preview episode also choke Polymer renderer so they just disabled Polymer from IM('s EDuke32) engine, due to its complicated structures(also various reasons like too many emitted lights and lack of maintainer), because of that, they focused on make Polymost better, since IM will needed it.

I had no idea IM featured the Polymer render (haven't bought the game yet). Sounds like a waste to be fair, I can easily image how amazing would the city levels look with it, hell it adds a ton of atmosphere to the base levels of Duke Nukem, but if it was a pain to optimize properly... it's probably worth ditching it and improving the visual fidelity of the game in other ways.

I've noticed today that it has performance issues while I was having fun with Nuclear Winter. All it took was getting surrounded by enemies inside the hotel on Where it All Began and with all the dynamic lights coming from our weapons the game started freaking out. Nothing major, but it was noticeable nonetheless.

That's why Polymer is disabled in Ion Maiden.

Also, Polymer has gfx glitches like for example after destroying a fire hydrant in the first map of Duke3D, down at the street, it flickers, like 2 sprites z-fighting. Same in toilets, same in some buttons on the wall ... too bad because it looks great sometimes. I recently played the 2 first episodes with Polymer enabled, a few times the frame rate dropped noticeably on my i3.

On 10/31/2018 at 2:23 AM, Eligos said:

This is a little off topic but I think it's something everyone will find interesting. 3D Realms posted a gif of the game they're developing in the Quake engine.

codename_mourningvale.gif.d6365d831e53cc7a9cc522ad4cc054aa.gif

Hopefully we get to know more about the project.

2 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

Hopefully we get to know more about the project.

According to 3DR's Discord, we'll learn more early next year.

17 hours ago, VGA said:

That's why Polymer is disabled in Ion Maiden.

Also, Polymer has gfx glitches like for example after destroying a fire hydrant in the first map of Duke3D, down at the street, it flickers, like 2 sprites z-fighting. Same in toilets, same in some buttons on the wall ... too bad because it looks great sometimes. I recently played the 2 first episodes with Polymer enabled, a few times the frame rate dropped noticeably on my i3.

Since the creator of Polymer already leave EDuke32 for other things and almost no one can understand how Polymer works and the team have to leave it as like that buggy status(although still received some small fixes but nothing major), sadly.

Z-fighting glitches also happens to Polymost renderer too if you played some user maps/mods/TCs with recently EDuke32 snapshot...they're still deal with that for a while, at least most of cases should be fine.

https://forums.duke4.net/topic/9527-release-hollywood-holocaust-rethinked/

This mod would be very suit for Polymer renderer(designed with that in mind, but unlike the DNE, it did tried to make the map less choked the Polymer renderer), but still, if your computer isn't powerful enough, maybe the frame rate would sucks ass.

New update's out (on Steam, at least)! This one has a new level that was shown off at PAX South, secondary fire modes, and more added stuff.

Man, I really hope this is a good game. They need a serious redemption. Apogee and 3D Realms hold a special place in my heart.

3 hours ago, NerdyButLazy said:

Man, I really hope this is a good game. They need a serious redemption. Apogee and 3D Realms hold a special place in my heart.

Well, we already have proof that it's one hell of a good game.

5 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Wait, they delayed it AGAIN??

Don't think so? I'm pretty sure the release date was pushed to Q2 2019 last time.

2 minutes ago, seed said:

Don't think so? I'm pretty sure the release date was pushed to Q2 2019 last time.

No, it was supposed to be February. No?

2 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

No, it was supposed to be February. No?

No, no month was given, at worst it was Q1 2019 but I'm confident that was never the case.

Someone correct me if memory fails me so badly.

Hey guys,

Anyone get a chance to play the new map, i got a definite blood vibe from the pallet and level design, it reminded me of the Hotel map from the first episode of blood, grenade launcher is great but i feel it needs a bigger splash area and the new cross bow is quite cool.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:54 PM, Jim Greezy said:

Hey guys,

Anyone get a chance to play the new map, i got a definite blood vibe from the pallet and level design, it reminded me of the Hotel map from the first episode of blood, grenade launcher is great but i feel it needs a bigger splash area and the new cross bow is quite cool.

I barely used the grenade launcher. I think the bowling bombs outclass it in most situations.

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

I barely used the grenade launcher. I think the bowling bombs outclass it in most situations.

They've nerfed the bowling bombs. They were overpowered in the earlier versions, but I think they went a little too far with how much less powerful they are now.

It's a great map, I'm greatly anticipating future updates.

Shelly's new lines are a major improvement over the ones she already had. They're so much more playful and aggressive. (Though I wish they'd remove the 'Mr. Roboto' line, I hate that song so much...)

6 minutes ago, Skeletonpatch said:

They've nerfed the bowling bombs. They were overpowered in the earlier versions, but I think they went a little too far with how much less powerful they are now.

Huh, come to think of it, I did find them less effective, but I thought it was just me after not playing the game for months.

Yeah, for one you have to charge them momentarily to get them to home in on enemies, and they don't seem to path find as well as they used to. But I do like the fact that you can just throw one as a regular grenade now. I didn't much care for the new bow though, and the grenade launcher is kind of redundant since the bowling bombs "generally" work better. But it was an enjoyable level, I'm still looking forward to the final game.

7 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

It's a great map, I'm greatly anticipating future updates.

Shelly's new lines are a major improvement over the ones she already had. They're so much more playful and aggressive. (Though I wish they'd remove the 'Mr. Roboto' line, I hate that song so much...)

Yeah, they are still OP. A solution would be to just put less of them in the maps.

34 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Yeah, they are still OP. A solution would be to just put less of them in the maps.

I agree with that. They kinda shower you with them.

10 hours ago, Jim Greezy said:

why?

play it now dude,

Sometimes, is better to play when the game is fully released, that play bit's by bit's, sometimes if the game is too action driven, will kill the mood to why i don't waited to play it full (Happened with my with Dusk)

One thing I worry about Ion Maiden is that the first episode might end up being the only one I sort of enjoy, as following episodes start introducing enemies and level designs that I just cannot stand, e.g. Duke Nukem 3D's Lunar Apocalypse with its Sentry Drones and Protozoid Slimers. That is why I hesitate to get the game in Early Access, as much as I want to support Voidpoint.

3 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

One thing I worry about Ion Maiden is that the first episode might end up being the only one I sort of enjoy, as following episodes start introducing enemies and level designs that I just cannot stand, e.g. Duke Nukem 3D's Lunar Apocalypse with its Sentry Drones and Protozoid Slimers. That is why I hesitate to get the game in Early Access, as much as I want to support Voidpoint.

Hm, that was different for me. In fact, Lunar Apocalypse was my favorite episode in Duke.

Yeah, I suspected as much and that is why I am so worried.

I do not know, getting constantly ambushed in dark, cramped corridors by fast, fairly resilient and hard-to-see Sentry Drones that tend to almost always be positioned in ways that make it next to impossible to dodge is really not my idea of fun. As for Protozoid Slimers, I just do not really get their purpose, beyond being hard to see, making unnerving sounds and startling you by getting literally in your face; sure, moving around while spamming the Mighty Foot allows you to deal with them effectively, but again, it is kind of annoying to have to do so. I am also not fond of levels like E2L4 Fusion Station, where there are parts that explicitly require you to use a Jetpack to navigate them; it would be much less of a pain if the item did not have a finite amount of fuel. It is not like Lunar Apocalypse is a bad episode or anything, but I feel like it would have been considerably more enjoyable had it not so heavily featured some of the things I mentioned.

Duke Nukem 3D has always been a very frustrating game for me: on one hand, I love the arsenal - well, minus the Trip Mines, which never seem to work like I wanted them to - and some of the gadgets, but because of the level design and some of the higher-tiered enemies, I always feel seconds away from dying, even at full health. This results in the absurdity of me playing as an ass-kicking badass but having to always proceed slowly and carefully.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf