Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Ion Fury, a new Build Engine game out now.

19 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Here's some quick impressions:

Weapons:

The Loverboy is a weird weapon.

weird name for a weapon, heh. cool thing we see such games in this day.

Got it, plays really good but I am not a terrific fan of the reload mechanic or the headcrab type enemies.

Really good game though, I'd play more but I spend 95% of life at work.

That's a reference to The Terminator Future Shock/SkyNet. If you shoot the moon in them, there are the same "ouch" message, and after a good amount of shots, the moon sinks below the horizon.

I didn't like DukeNukem when it came out. The humour didn't click for me and I thought Duke was a vaguely misogynistic asshole. While technically, Quake blew the Build Engine out of the water. However, I was definitely in the minority with that opinion and everyone else I knew seemed to regard it well. And to this day, I've never sat down and played DukeNukem, which I kind of regret because by accounts Richard 'Levelord' Gray's work is something any aspiring level designer should check out.

So I didn't like Duke, but I do like Shelly. Which is strange because her lines really aren't that much better than Dukes, but somehow it just seems refreshing and funnier when a female protagonist says them. I'm less keen on Heskel the game's antagonist, but not because there's anything wrong with his performance, but simply because his voice is frankly deafening whenever he pops up. Otherwise, he makes a perfectly fine male Shodan type figure.

In terms of narrative, Ion Fury probably needed to have it's story fleshed out a little bit more. Since I've spent the last few years playing predominantly Doom, I don't personnally need a reason for going on a blood splattered romp through a set of beautifully realised locations, but for a commerical product I think you have to acknowledge that things have changed in the intervening years. Intially, you get thrown into combat almost immediately against a bunch of what appear to be hooded cultists intent on overthrowing the city, and I half excepted to end up fighting Mecha-Cthulu eventually. That said, I don't think Ion Fury needed a Deus Ex dialogue system or System Shock style audio diaries, but slightly more exposition would have given it a more satisfying conclusion.

So with narrative dealt with, what's the combat and exploration like?  Well, pretty good. The combat has a different 'dance' than Doom, with a reliance on delayed hitscan enemies intially, that emphasises ducking in and out of cover and getting the drop on the opposition. But as the game progresses it introduces enough new enemy types to keep things interesting, and the latter stages are probably more fun for that. I didn't make much use of the clusterpuck or the crossbow, and the lack of a rocket launcher is unusual, but otherwise the weapons are satisfying to use, with useful alt-attacks and all have utility in the right situation.

Where Ion Fury really shines is in it's environment design and exploration of. The levels are lovingly crafted with attention to detail and an intent to push the Build Engine to it's logical limits. It features a sort of 3D approach to 2.5 design, which could be transferred to a lot of ZDoom projects, but in practise rarely is. Suffice to say, Ion Fury's level design excites me technically because it parallels a lot of things I'm doing at the moment in my own stuff, and I'll indubitably pinch things I like.
Oh yeah, and it has a massive ammount of secrets. I could barely find a quarter of them.

Ive beaten ion fury on the easy difficulty just to take in the environments and get a grasp of the gunplay and now playing on medium and hard, ho hell is it a blast to run around Like a madman, blasting a cultist in the face while ducking under a volley of crossbow bolts. The movement just feels great in I.F. 

18 hours ago, Urthar said:

I thought Duke was a overtly misogynistic

There, fixed that for you. ;)

Just beat Ion Fury. Overall I say it's great and I recommend you play it if you are a fan of any Build Engine game. It does however suffer from a lack of unique weapons and the last few levels feel rather samey. The soundtrack has got to be one of my favorite parts through, it really fits the game.

Game is ace so far, but suffers from the same microstuttering that DN3D Megaton and SW Classic Redux suffer from across all of my systems. Also, it's a bit too hitscanny for my taste (inb4 there are no hitscan enemies - the projectiles are fast enough to make little to no difference). As a result it isn't quite as run'n'gun as I'd hoped for. Visually, it's the single best looking game I've ever seen on ED32, but the framrate issues kind of temper the fun a tad. Also, an underslung grenade launcher is no substitute for a proper RPG.

Recommended, but AMID EVIL is still the daddy right now IMO.

Very solid looking and feeling shooter that loses steam towards the end and lacks variety in the weapon/enemy department.

In terms of the Build game pantheon i'd say its better than Shadow Warrior but not as good as Blood or Duke 3D.

This review bombing is brutal.

Guys, be strong and brave, don't lose faith in the community, you have at least one incel by your side.

review-bombing.png

Is it bad that Voidpoint has mentioned they don't care if people pirate it now in a now deleted tweet?

“If you want to pirate it, it’s only like 95MB. You should check it out. We worked really hard on it and it’s a cool game. Fuck politics.”

Who posted this? And was it a rash action that was poorly thought upon initially?

Edited by Armaetus

Do whatever it takes to get your stuff out there, that’s how I feel. I wish more devs took the “look, I’d really prefer you buy it, but FFS at least pirate it, that’s still better than not playing it!” type of approach 

lol outta curiosity I googled Ion Fury and the first suggestion was “controversy”. You know some jernelusts were happy to hear about a potential controversy, like little kittens ready to lap up some spilled milk, lmfao

Such a good game. Really wish they'd have known better than to even discuss such a thing on a public discord of all places. None of this would have even happened if they kept their mouths shut.

There was nothing newsworthy or truly controversial about that statement, it becomes controversial if there is a concerted effort to make it so.

Now they are getting hammered in the reviews because they bent the knee and gave more power to the game journo mob.

Bending the knee regarding the name was the first bad sign :D

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

I wouldn't ever say it's better than SW.

I was never that big into SW, i thought the enemies were rather goofy and a lot of the levels just kind of blended together and didnt stand out, the weapons are still more creative than Ion Furys though.

2 hours ago, incel said:

This review bombing is brutal.

This doesn't solve anything. If anything, it gives ResetEra and their lackeys at Kotaku/Polygon/Eurogamer/etc exactly what they want. Yes, 3DR/Voidpoint made the fatal mistake of bending the knee to those people, but that's exactly why we need to support the game now more than ever. Those nutjobs over there have way too much power and their only reason to exist is to ruin the industry for everyone else, particularly the smallest dev teams. I've never seen them go after R* trying to get their employees fired, yet the "HommeGina" billboards remain in GTAV among myriad other "problematic" (ugh) details (ironically, that game was one instance where review-bombing actually got OpenIV reinstated, but I digress).

IMO TerminX's comment about the portrayal of female characters in games was actually valid and in no way misogynistic. That said, he lost me at the whole "mutilation" remark. Even so, nothing anyone says on social media warrants dogpiling. If someone says something out of turn while representing a company, then it's up to the company to decide what recourse is due, if any. Neither ResetEra nor the gaming press should be allowed to dictate an individual's career. Ever. As the people actually buying and playing these games, that's OUR job. Voting with one's wallet should be the ONLY thing that matters.

If ever there was an example of why we should Keep Politics Out Of Games, this is it.

30 minutes ago, Doom64hunter said:

I feel like it's important to point out that this reviewbombing is happening because they apologized for the offensive statements and the few bits of content ingame that could be taken as offensive. They also pledged to donate 10'000$ to a LGBT non-profit (Trevor Project).

These reviewbombers are fucked in the head.

Apologizing is pointless unless the prospect of forgiveness is on the table. ResetEra do not forgive, as evidenced by their penchant for permabanning anyone who even dares to so much as appeal for calm. Also, this is the website that doxxed a CDPR employee for posting edgy tweets. This whole debacle will be dragged up again and again by both them and the games press every single time Voidpoint release a new title. They should have just rode it out, give the donation on the QT if necessary but not say anything. That way, this wouldn't be happening right now. For example, id completely refused to acknowledge the whole "mortally challenged" rigmarole and just rode it out until the heat died down and as a result maintained their integrity. As it stands, VP risk alienating everyone.

I disagree with the review-bombing, but I completely understand why they're doing it. Then again, I haven't had my sensitivity training...

Edited by scalliano

This whole thing could have ended with the apology. ResetEra is actually satisfied if you check their board.

The only people who are continuing the shitstorm now are the ones who hate ResetEra.

Edit: Besides, being a hardass about the whole issue wouldn't have solved or achieved anything. It would just have ostracized 3DRealms from the rest of the industry, which isn't exactly what you'd want as someone running a business.

Now Voidpoint gets both sides of the shitcake -- headlines that read of transphobia, and pasty angry nerds reviewbombing for shit irrelevant to the quality of the game. Those who are angry about the apology are doing more damage than ResetEra alone could have.

Edited by Doom64hunter

3DRealms were the last ones I expected to do this. Disappointing. The game is still great, and review bombing it because of some stupid 'damage control' decisions still ain't right, but they should've expected their fanbase to get mad because they kneelt to people that never liked them.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Do whatever it takes to get your stuff out there, that’s how I feel. I wish more devs took the “look, I’d really prefer you buy it, but FFS at least pirate it, that’s still better than not playing it!” type of approach

Heh, on the one hand this was actually kinda funny to see, but on the other, this is now pathetic.

I dunno about others but I'm personally already getting pretty tired of VP/3DR's incompetence in dealing with this whole situation. It's getting to the point where I don't even think they know what they want to do.

It's funny to see 3D Realms, of all companies adhere to these PC ideas. I wonder what Duke Nukem would think of all of this.

I don't like that they bowed down to ResetERA and "sensitivity training" is a very "nice" euphemism for brainwashing but I'm against reviewbombing unless they break the game in any way, which they did not. Reviews should be only about the quality of the game. Reviews are not made only for SJWs and the anti-PC crowd. Politically-based reviews hurt people who don't care about these issues and just want to play a good game and the developers who worked really hard on the game. 

1 hour ago, Doom64hunter said:

Edit: Besides, being a hardass about the whole issue wouldn't have solved or achieved anything. It would just have ostracized 3DRealms from the rest of the industry, which isn't exactly what you'd want as someone running a business.

Why does it matter? It does not seem to me like these people actually have that much power, except when they pressure companies to get people fired, which is pretty pathetic. The new Wolfenstein was pretty woke and it didn't do very well. You've got a hardcore nazi-killer, a multicultural cast, plenty of white bashing, communist allies, everything these far-leftists love. You even get to kill KKK members. If they really had so much power then this game would have been game of the year but they didn't even bother to buy it.

On the flipside, Kingdom Come: Deliverance was bashed by all of these loonies for having a Gamergate lead-developer and not including black people in a 99% white country (look at the demographics if you don't believe me) in the middle ages and it did fantastically well. 

So why should they care that they would be ostracized? If anything, what they should care about is that they have no spine.

people, please! can we talk about the game itself, not about that idiocity of "they said so, but they should be saying so insted, but somebody's offended, but blah-blah-blah"? please, open the topic about "voidpoint controversy" if you want.

i am usually don't backseat-moderate, but people, it is YOU who's constantly dragging the issue. just stop.

On a more gameplay related note, anybody know the specific differences between UV and Max Fury difficulties?

13 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

On a more gameplay related note, anybody know the specific differences between UV and Max Fury difficulties?

Enemies punch harder, have faster reaction times and there are more of them. iirc from UV to MF, in the first zone, it goes from 412 enemies in total to 629, so they ain't jokin around

On dimanche 18 août 2019 at 9:10 PM, Linguica said:

Let's not bring the current online drama into this thread.

It seems this has to be repeated on every page.