Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Ion Fury, a new Build Engine game out now.

That's a great analysis wooly!

I disagree  about bombshell's baggage. I was not aware of the character's history with DNF, and I never played or even saw the previous game that she featured in. None of that stuff seems to be important to Ion Fury. Without knowing that back story, she's perhaps a much more "freed" character. Although not drawn terribly deeply, that seems to me more about being an "everywoman".

I agree with your point about critiquing duke3d and that style of humour/game. They really pulled their punches in that respect. 

That "OGAY" pun is a ridiculous hill to die on. 

Since they're adding the soap again, some have speculated they never intended to follow through with the mandatory sensitivity training or the $10,000 donation. Although now they've said they'll still go through with that, they just aren't removing the soap.

Ride the wave of publicity. Make friends of your enemies with bribery.

I haven't seen the soap so I don't know how an Oil of Olay parody called oGay is homophobic other than the word Gay is the butt of a joke. Maybe they should have called it "oNeigh the sope for horses!" Then women that use the soap would possibly be offended at being called horses, but if no one gets offended by the franchise name "Dress Barn," because you're as big as a barn animal logic, then I fail to see how it would offend here.

If ya bored... ya talk about stuff whether its picking a side or throwing out your own random opinion, cuz why bother having social media or a forum if ya can't wreck it up with opinions likewise or different or indifferent.

I don't understand how a gay joke that isn't even clever was so important to the devs they had to make sure it got in there. I mean these folks aren't 12, why even add it? You throw in visual gags because they're funny

Edited by GoatLord

36 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I don't understand how a gay joke that isn't even clever was so important to the devs they has to make sure it got in there. I mean these folks aren't 12, why even add it? You throw in visual gags because they're funny

You'd be amazed how many people with bachelors, masters, and Ph.D.s find 12 year old humor hilarious or poop jokes. Not my thing of course, but I've found around my area, the smarter a person is the dumber their humor is.

I feel a lot of comedy comes from the unexpected. Taking what you'd expect and giving you something different and comedy happens. Chances are in any game, you're playing a game and so you don't expect something like an Oil of Olay parody to be thrown in there. Maybe another game reference like "That's one doomed space marine" or "power armor is for pussies" or a dead body with an arrow in its knee. Those feel more like references and less like comedy or parody (which is a form of comedy).

At some point putting a hamster or gerbil in a microwave was considered comedy and not horrific in the original Maniac Mansion, because you don't expect it to be allowed.

Edited by geo

I can attest to that. The things that make me laugh rarely make sense even to myself. Remember laughing profusely at watching Idubbbz stab a can of fermented herring with a large knife.

I'd also like to add that I love juvenile humor; I still watch old "Tom and Jerry" cartoons to this day. But I think there needs to be motivation behind humor in an entertainment medium. Daisy the rabbit in Doom being found impaled; Mario 64's "UH-OOH!" when he lands too hard; the sarcastic comments of some of the dragons you free in Spyro; the violently ironic endings to characters in Twisted Metal 2; the absurd animations and voice acting of Earthworm Jim...in all these examples, humor is being used in different ways, but they're all linked by strong movitation. We know immediately why it's funny, even if it barely elicits a chuckle (I find all these examples to be funny myself). If anything is offensive about the "Ogay" reference, it's the complete lack of motivation. I don't like when jokes are just there because it sprang to mind, as opposed to being carefully thought out. Even a fart joke should be considered and not just thrown in willy-nilly!

Edited by GoatLord

now i played it a little, and can throw my two cents here: the game is almost great. almost, because 'cmon, people, just STOP adding small spider-like enemies in your games! they're boring as hell, and hitting them with my baton is boring as hell too.

otherwise i enjoying the game. Duke games have their own aesthetics, and in Ion Fury it turned to eleven. it is not something i get used to see in Doom, but hey, it is not a Doom! Duke (as a game) was always proud of its ability to create slopes and colored lights, and Ion Fury follows that route.

as for Shelly... i don't know enough background, so for me she's defined just enough to allow me to fill the missing parts with my imagination.

and i can't care less about jokes i won't even notice until anybody will point me to them.

in short: for me, the game delivered everything it promised. ketmar is happy.

Let's talk more about the game!

I haven't yet bought it. How many hours is it? Does it have performance problems? 

1 hour ago, Flesh420 said:

I don't understand why the developers bent to a bunch of losers that think words have magic powers in the first place.  It's absurd.  Sensitivity training is something I'd expect to see in a communist/fascist country.  It's nuts. 

Gillette just lost 8 billion because of their Anti-men marketing campaign.  The tide of a vocal minority being butt hurt over everything is about to bounce back, and make a whole many people look like fools.  Especially when more and more corporations quit pushing dumbass ideologies because they're losing money.

Anti men? Men shave. Women shave. Best to be all inclusive because their market is adults that shave places. Plus didn't they used to have the slogan: "Gillette, the best a man can get."

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

I don't think anyone was actually mad about this. I think people wrote articles about it because every little thing that happens can be stretched out to a 500 word nothing news piece. I would be surprised if anyone could actually prove a single person was offended.

I assume this is why so many professional game reviews involve so many anecdotes about their own life or the game's development rather than sticking to a review about the game. Gotta pad that review somehow. That and 1,400 words seems like the magic number so many reviews end at.

Edited by geo

1 hour ago, Flesh420 said:

I don't understand why the developers bent to a bunch of losers that think words have magic powers in the first place.  It's absurd.  Sensitivity training is something I'd expect to see in a communist/fascist country.  It's nuts. 

Gillette just lost 8 billion because of their Anti-men marketing campaign.  The tide of a vocal minority being butt hurt over everything is about to bounce back, and make a whole many people look like fools.  Especially when more and more corporations quit pushing dumbass ideologies because they're losing money.

Do you have receipts for that "8 billion" figure? Especially since it's just a small part of the Procter & Gamble corporate empire, which made almost $10 billion in profits last year off of around $69 billion in revenues.

55 minutes ago, VGA said:

Does it have performance problems?

for me, it is silk smooth on my i3/GT 720.

p.s.: as for playtime... it highly depends of your playing style. it is loaded with secrets, so you will prolly play it several times anyway. so i'd say "it has alot of gameplay hours, and great replayability".

I heard as a concession, an update is going to give Shelly the ability to teabag and tallywhack her enemies.

Anyway,half seriously, I once saw a seemingly serious late night long commercial but not really an infomercial show, for a skin cream called Nads.  It was your usual skin cream commercial featuring women and it actually said, "Get Nads now."

What was even funnier was stepping in a usual deli convenience store in the morning to see Dietz Nuts, snackballs of processed meat.   I heard the commercials for those are ridiculous but I see very little TV.

Of course sometimes stupidity wraps around into brilliant humor, intentional or not.   Not sure if this was supposed to be funny or not...

athiestmoothie.jpg

Edited by Gokuma

Is "ogay" actually a slur? searching it online does not really show it as anything pejorative.

If they had called the soap "OGinger", I would have honestly felt proud for the exposure, as a member of the red-headed race of soul-less creatures.

Even with "OFatso" (which unlike "gay" might actually be an insult) I would have been fine.

Or "Baldness", "Spaniard Spring", "Foreveraloner", "HairyA'ss", "Inactiv".

I don't think there could ever be something in a game that could make me legitimately upset in a personal level, even if there were many things that might have affected me when I was a youngling.

If this is about protecting the younger minds, then maybe the PEGI rating should be respected, the game is not precisely for kids or for the easily offended. There's a lot of guns, death and gore. Somehow murder is ok, naming your soap "ogay" isn't.

Edited by Ferk

'Gay' was certainly used by kids as a perjorative term from the mid 2000s to the mid 2010s. I haven't personnally heard or seen it used that way recently, but then I haven't played anything like Dota for a few years either, so it might still be in use.

Then should we rename the "G" in LGTB?

I sometimes wish people started using "white" and "hetero" as an insult, at least that would balance things out.

When there's no words left to ban perhaps we'll learn to enjoy the silence.

1 hour ago, Urthar said:

'Gay' was certainly used by kids as a perjorative term from the mid 2000s to the mid 2010s. I haven't personnally heard or seen it used that way recently, but then I haven't played anything like Dota for a few years either, so it might still be in use.

I remember when I was little I heard random bigger kids on the playground say faggot and that was like my new favorite word for a month. I used it all the time. No clue what it meant, when I was 6 - 8 it just felt like such a fun word to say. Little did I know it means a bundle of sticks. Hence why cigarettes are called fags as it is a bundle of cancer sticks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(unit)

Now and probably then too its some kind of negative slang. Oh and the older kids that used the word were getting a bundle of sticks since the playground was at a campground. I feel the need to elaborate as now we can't say words that are seen as negative slang. Otherwise it's seen as a hate speech and not an innocuous story from the past.

Remember the last line in the Flintstones theme song?

"...we'll have a gay old time!! - Wilmaa!!"

It used to be that "gay" meant happy, I think.

It's amazing that somehow calling someone "happy" evolved into an insult. I feel that the problem is not so much in the vocabulary, but in the interpretation people make of it. Nowadays there's even complains about The GIMP being called "GIMP".

But well.. this is already enough off-topic, sorry.

Really? Most insults have "innocent' meanings when you try to use out of context situations about them. Am sure people calling others bitches are just innocently calling them dogs.

Oh, great, the whole "why can he say the n-word but I can't" thing.

The real product used to be called "Ulay" before they changed it to "Olay" in the 90s.

I'll wait. 

I haven’t noticed any performance problems. I’m playing it on a thinkpad t470s laptop. No idea at all what the gpu is but probably a potato.

ah, and i must say that i am using the latest eduke32 svn, built by myself. but i don't think that it really matters, the provided game binary is not that different.

21 minutes ago, Jon said:

I haven’t noticed any performance problems. I’m playing it on a thinkpad t470s laptop. No idea at all what the gpu is but probably a potato.

Think someone said the performance issues people were having were related to broken vsync

from my experience, vsync in eduke is garbage and makes the game chug like hell. you'll want to disable it and type some commands into the console that caps the FPS instead, since that works perfectly fine. i haven't bought this game yet, so no idea how well it performs for me, but since it runs on Eduke that should work just fine.

Same here, in fact VSync in EDuke32 causes the game to stutter for me (and many others I've seen complaining on other sites as well, including duke4).

It's better to disable it and cap the framerate, I think there even was an option in the menu somewhere. Capped to 60 and goodbye.

I'm not well versed in Build source ports, what are the advantages of using EDuke32 over the engine that comes with the game? I'm playing in software mode.

The engine that comes with the game is EDuke32. It's just that you can try a development build.

I wonder though, since IF is based on eduke32, what does it have as a bonus that eduke doesn't?