Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Ion Fury, a new Build Engine game out now.

On 11/19/2017 at 3:27 PM, Graf Zahl said:

Correct, but the engine is still a bit too buggy for my taste.

Is Eduke32 more stable than vanilla Build?

10 hours ago, GoatLord said:

...Why?

So he can be a total nerd or something.

If this is getting released on Steam and is using the "og" Build they'll likely use (a modded version I think of) Dosbox like the devs of Shadow Warrior Classic Redux did.

23 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Good to see this, I hope there is plans to bring this to more platforms than just PC (like consoles, handhelds and mobile).

I can't speak for the team or their plans, but I know they were working on an EDuke32 mobile port of Duke3D Megaton Edition until Gearbox came around.

1 hour ago, wheresthebeef said:

I can't speak for the team or their plans, but I know they were working on an EDuke32 mobile port of Duke3D Megaton Edition until Gearbox came around.

Hopefully Gearbox will back off with its barks at the EDuke32 engine.

16 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Hopefully Gearbox will back off with its barks at the EDuke32 engine.

Gearbox doesn't own build engine and EDuke32 is based off build.

You still need a license to use EDuke32/Build though but not through Gearbox, however with this starting as a prequel for Bombshell which is a 3DRealms/Interceptor game, they have a license through 3DRealms.

I could have this completely wrong, but that's how I understand it.

Gearbox is only super aggressive when it comes to the Duke Nukem name. You can make a game that plays almost exactly like Duke 3D and with the Build Engine, as long as Duke's face isn't anywhere near it or you don't intend to make money off of it. Supposedly, Gearbox allowed the Duke Nukem Reloaded but only as a free product, hence why the team decided to can it in favor of ROTT.

1 hour ago, MetroidJunkie said:

Gearbox is only super aggressive when it comes to the Duke Nukem name. You can make a game that plays almost exactly like Duke 3D and with the Build Engine, as long as Duke's face isn't anywhere near it or you don't intend to make money off of it. Supposedly, Gearbox allowed the Duke Nukem Reloaded but only as a free product, hence why the team decided to can it in favor of ROTT.

I am still super salty over Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded.

I won't even consider buying their next official Duke Nukem game. I'll get it straight off the torrents. It will probably suck anyway.

Good thing Voidpoint don't have to deal with these jackasses.

8 hours ago, DoctorGenesis said:

If this is getting released on Steam and is using the "og" Build they'll likely use (a modded version I think of) Dosbox like the devs of Shadow Warrior Classic Redux did.

But didn't they utilize Jonathon Fowler's Shadow Warrior as well?

7 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I am still super salty over Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded.

I won't even consider buying their next official Duke Nukem game. I'll get it straight off the torrents. It will probably suck anyway.

As garbage as Gearbox acts at times, I don't think this was their fault. The Duke 3D Reloaded team agreed to do a free Duke Nukem game, which is what Gearbox allowed. At one point, they decided they wanted to get paid for the game, which wasn't the original agreement so Gearbox turned them down, after which they switched to working on the remake of ROTT so they could get paid for it.

On 21/11/2017 at 10:24 PM, DoctorGenesis said:

Hello! Ion Maiden Level designer here :) Game will be powered using Eduke32 source port. No dosbox of any kind. 

On 2017/11/21 at 11:01 AM, GoatLord said:

Is Eduke32 more stable than vanilla Build?

As a Duke3D fan and using eduke32 for years... I say it sure stable than vanilla(DOS) one but, considering eduke32 still stuck at v1.9999 beta synthesis releases(no actual releases) for years and bugs still fixed and re-appears then fixed again, at least the port rarely crashed, unless something really goes wrong. :P

And I hope it will changes when Ion Maiden released...

The real downside to eDuke32, especially Polymer, is a lack of AMD support so they shut off cache if it detects one. I can run it like butter, until it needs to load in some new animation and it freezes.

14 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

The real downside to eDuke32, especially Polymer, is a lack of AMD support so they shut off cache if it detects one. I can run it like butter, until it needs to load in some new animation and it freezes.

Since the original developer of Polymer just build the renderer with nVidia only and lack of optimizations and then leave the project and no-one can properly continue the works so sadly, it still runs badly even with decent nVidia cards in some maps/mods with heavy lighting.

About AMD cards, not sure recently eduke32 builds still has this problem, since now developers of eduke32 has AMD cards for test...

20 hours ago, DavoX said:

It will.

That sounds promising.

Can/may you tell us something about multiplayer?

Does anyone else think the weapon sprites are a bit out of place? Like they are a bit too high-res compared to everything else?

Good point, perhaps they should have made the Environmental textures a bit higher res to fit with it. I mean, come on, this is 2017, any computer worth its salt can easily handle double or quadruple the texture resolution without breaking a sweat.

That would be significantly more work. And it would affect the visuals way more than just weapon sprites. This is a retro game = pixel fetish FTW, after all.

I wish Doom got something like this. A commercial game made by Doomworld s best of the best. Does Adventures of Square count or is it going to be freeware?

@DavoX Any updates in terms of securing a release for the Nintendo Switch? Playing this on the go would be hella fun (and the switch is in need of some more FPS's like Doom and Wolfenstein anyway)

There's a new picture that's used as the Bombshell twitter account banner and the thumbnail for the Ion Maiden trailer:

VjzGY7Dh.jpg

The composition of this picture might remind you of something. I figure it's going to end up here once the game is actually released and we get a definitive use for this artwork beyond "promotional picture"  (e.g. if it gets used as the title screen for example).

Should be noted it's now available to purchase on Steam; right now you get a preview campaign while the full game will be available at a later date.

I hope this succeeds; plenty of mediocre to down right shitty games get front page coverage on tons of sites yet it seems no one is talking about this.

The game looks really good, but the fact that Bombshell is the protagonist has me a little worried. Better include an option to turn off player quips, just to be on the safe side.

I'm sad that the preview version is only available on GOG as a bonus to Bombshell. I could buy it on Steam or on 3drealms.com, but I really don't want to do that.