Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Ion Fury, a new Build Engine game out now.

2 hours ago, CARRiON said:

It's weird that they wiped that game, even though it was unplayable. In other cases where games have been pulled from the Steam store, they are available forever for the buyers. I am confident that all my games will be there, forever.

Anyway, about Ion Maiden, played a bit more, I don't see any dynamic lights, I guess it's Polymost. It's rather dark and the enemies are dark as well, it's hard to tell what's what. Also, fighting so many hitscan enemies, especially when you get on the open area after the start, is like a war of attrition on your health, rather annoying. You fire hitscans, they fire hitscans, everybody hitscans YAY! Not where the FUCK are some medkits?

Anyway, beggars can't be choosers when it comes to retro shooters, IM is way above some of the bullshit I've seen.

22 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

And what has any DRM to do with what I said there? I'm pretty sure my point was very clear.

Without the DRM they could not take the game away. You claim that it would not make sense to remove a game from the account, but they have done that in the past e.g. Order of War (@CARRiON's post).

1 hour ago, Manuel-K said:

Without the DRM they could not take the game away. You claim that it would not make sense to remove a game from the account, but they have done that in the past e.g. Order of War (@CARRiON's post).

True, I wasn't aware of that, and no, it wouldn't make sense, yet it did actually happen at some point apparently, but from what I see it was also one of those games which turned into digital garbage after the services were shut down so it didn't do any harm in this case.

The game looks pretty good so far. The soundtrack doesn't sound that great in comparison to the previous game (unfortunately, Andrew Hulshult isn't working on this one). Aside from that it actually looks like a classic FPS and not something pretending to be like what we have seen in the past with games like Wrack or Strafe. The game has the potential to be great but I'm still a little skeptical (especially after Bombshell).

Edited by Eligos

8 hours ago, VGA said:

Hm? I love that catchy electro-beat!

It's not bad. Personally, I would prefer Andrew style of music over what's in the game. I thought his work on Rise of the Triad (2013) was great and IDKFA is still one of the best remixes of Doom soundtrack out there. Even though Bombshell is not that great of a game, he still made a killer soundtrack.

I know this is a subjective topic but I just always preferred Metal over electronic music.

I understand what they're going for. They want to make it sound like a classic Dos shooter like Duke3D or Shadow Warrior. But this sounds more like System Shock to me. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I just think Metal would fit the game better. With that being said, the game is not finished and we've only heard two songs so far so it is a bit early to judge the soundtrack.

Edited by Eligos

The tune from the first level actually vaguely reminded me of Mark 'TDK' Knight's soundtrack for the PlayStation version of Duke Nukem 3D somewhat, but I cannot pinpoint the exact track (most are available here in MP3 format JIC) at the moment.

The songs reminded me of System Shock too. I actually really like it though. But I usually prefer electro stuff to metal these days.

I'm an electrohead/rivethead so this kind of music suits me super well. Also the general vibe I get from the game is reminiscent of titles like SiN and like a way better TekWar.

On 3/2/2018 at 9:53 PM, cyan0s1s said:

Shadow Warrior's Ninjas are suppose to be the popcorn enemy but are also the strongest and deadliest enemy in the game simultaneously due to their variants, many of which are OP or don't telegraph their new attack (the missile or grenade comes flying out of their chest at random in between UZI fire, ROTT's Lightning Guard is also just as guilty with the bazooka users).

Blood's Cultist and Fanatic are also the most dangerous enemy in their respective game because of the instant reaction time and high DPS, bearing similarity to Wolf3D's Mutant. No one else was really ever that challenging otherwise.

Oh, and the Pig Cops and Enforcers in Duke3D are too strong considering how many are thrown at you, even on the default difficulty. In most of these BUILD engine shooters I find abusing the often abundant explosives options to be more effective at minimizing player casualties.

This is partly why Blood is arguably the best of the bunch. Sure, the cultists can really dish out the damage but they telegraph their alternate attacks (like throwing dynamite,) but their aim is shit, they don't suddenly spring homing rockets on you, and they die easily.

Blood was definitely the best of the build engine games IMO. Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior are great games don't get me wrong. But there's just something special about Blood. I will never forget the first time starting Blood, getting out of the grave and hearing Unholy Voices for the first time. It's always felt like a crime to me that Blood never got the attention it deserved.

Edited by Eligos

The one thing about Blood which I loved the most was the hilarious screams the cultists did when you kill them.

Edited by Avoozl

Aww man, I just realized that they used the exact same cover art that I was gonna use for *my* game!  Now I'd just look like some johnny-come-lately.

26 minutes ago, Marscaleb said:

Now I'd just look like some johnny-come-lately.

Aw man, I love that song...

i haven't played the game yet and will be unable to for a pretty long time, but the song that was posted here i feel would fit the feel of this game perfectly. Duke 3D's music is eerie and ambient for the most part, and from what i hear these levels are really long. so a tracker song like that one i feel would work much better for a giant city-styled level than a loud and grating metal tune.

i'll have to check this game out when i am able to.

On 3/12/2018 at 6:54 AM, Cage said:

Hey everyone!

We just have patched the game - Steam version should update automatically, and you should receive a download link if you bought the game from 3D Realms store. If you stumbled upon any performance issues previously while playing Ion Maiden, please check out the game after the patch. If any problems persist, feel free to get in touch on Steam Discussions or 3d Realms Discord. Mouse aiming has also been improved and autosave control introduced.
Full patch log here: http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=562860

Thanks for playing! :)

I really have to thank you for the improvements to mouse aim. I just played the update last night, and it's far smoother than before. I didn't really have an issue with it before the update because I've gotten used to Build engine games having crap mouselook; but whatever you folks did is fantastic. It has to be the smoothest mouselook I've seen in a Build game. It's not 100%, but it's very good. Honestly I thought that was just a limitation of the Build engine, I think I read somewhere that it only had a certain number of positions that could be used for mouselook, something like 400 on either axis, so it was always going to be jerky. 

Also, did it always have kickable heads? I just loaded it up and was walking around, ran over a head and it bounced away, â la Blood. Maybe it was in there before the update and I just never noticed.

This is a lot of fun!

I'm spoilt by vanilla-smooth doom etc., but I think some of the animations (particularly weapons) could use a few more frames here and there.

If you're interested in some of the more technical aspects of Ion Maiden, check out the most recent video from Digital Foundry Retro!

@Cage no word from 3drealms support on when you will offer Linux downloads for purchases from the 3drealms store; we can extract from the Windows exe at the moment (yay) but there's also no Linux patch on offer.

17 hours ago, Jon said:

@Cage no word from 3drealms support on when you will offer Linux downloads for purchases from the 3drealms store; we can extract from the Windows exe at the moment (yay) but there's also no Linux patch on offer.

Linux binary should be a part of the patch download. Please check this out and let me know if there's still any problem.

2 hours ago, Cage said:

Linux binary should be a part of the patch download. Please check this out and let me know if there's still any problem.

Thank you. I've taken a closer look  at the patch and it indeed does include the linux binary (I missed it first time: filename is maiden_nodrm.bin)

Thanks!

If it's going to be a physical release I may hold off on getting it on Steam. Probably get it for the Switch or Xbone.

Huh? From what I have played it is darker and faster than DN3D and has a lot of hitscan enemies. I wouldn't play it on a console with a gamepad. Not to mention you won't have access to custom content in the long run.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:48 AM, VGA said:

Huh? From what I have played it is darker and faster than DN3D and has a lot of hitscan enemies. I wouldn't play it on a console with a gamepad. Not to mention you won't have access to custom content in the long run.

Gamepads haven't bothered me before, but to fair, this game might be the first. But if it will have custom content, then maybe the PC version would be the one to get.